00 Crown Vic PI

Status
Not open for further replies.
So tomorrow I'm going to go pick up a 2000 CV. has 104k on it. I've been reading a lot about the Auto-RX stuff and think it would be very beneficial to a former police car. But I've also been reading the crown vic forums, and they all seem to favor the seafoam treatment. So what are the pros/cons of each?

Thanks in advance guys!

Two different things, really. I wouldnt use Seafoam in the oil. What I would do is a double ARx (over 100,000 mile treatment) and at the end of the first clean before you change the oil do a Seafoam treatment through the PCV line.

Do a search for the Taxicab Crown Victoria test. My interpration was better ring pack cleansing and performance with respect to fuel economy for the most part. I will see if I can find it and link it later.

Seafoam is junk.

Police cars and taxi's idle a lot, which leads to plugged ring packs. Auto RX cleans plugged ring packs very well.

Welcome to the boards, and congrats on the Vic. I would save the ARX for use in the transmission, power steering and differential. From personal experience, I have found this is where ARX really excels.

For the engine, I would recommend 4 quarts of any 5W-30 or 5W-20 of your choice and a quart of Marvel Mystery Oil. Run it for 3,000-5,000 miles and repeat. A Motorcraft FL-820S is an excellent choice of filter to go with this combo.

IMHO whatever ARX is, it is surely overpriced. If you want to clean up the engine, I would get some synth blend motor oil (probably high milage) and pour in a quart of MMO (or Rislone Engine Treatment) and then do a 3000mi oci.

After that, run which ever synthetic you like for 3k-5k oci's.

For the fuel system, it make make sense to run two tanks of techron treated gasoline back to back to clean up any carbon deposits in the intake system.

I would think that compression tests, the same tests that have served technicians from before they were even called technicians, should be a broadly accepted metric for determining ring seal. That being a sensible and sorta undeniable given, I'd say that there's plenty of evidence that Auto-Rx indeed cleans ring packs ..in spite of it not being up to some standard that one may construct.

Then again, I can insist on a (U PAY) DNA test to assure that you're you. Until then, it's pure speculation that you exist
grin2.gif

Compression tests are a good way to determine engine health. My uncle runs a boat with a 250 I6 Chevy engine. He did a compression test the beginning of the season and ran MMO in the engine and for S&G ran a compression test a few weeks ago. 4 of the 6 cyls were up to par #2 and #4 cyl's were dogging it at the start of the season. All 6 cyls are now up to spec.

He is trying to make a case to replace this engine. He fears the water jacket is going to let go one day, the engine is salt water cooled. He figured if the compression didn't come back it was time for an engine. No cigar!

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
Also, nobody has EVER shown before and after of ARx cleaning ring packs. It's a load of you know what. Somebody disagrees? Post pictures.

That's one of the dumbest things you've said on the subject of Auto RX. And that's saying something.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Also, nobody has EVER shown before and after of ARx cleaning ring packs. It's a load of you know what. Somebody disagrees? Post pictures.

That's one of the dumbest things you've said on the subject of Auto RX. And that's saying something.

So prove it wrong. I'll say it again: Let's see some pictures.

It's time people know this junk is snakeoil. You can't hide behind a sponsorship - so lets see pictures of your claims like REAL products would provide.

And I won't listen to arguments from people who have received free bottles of AutoRx.

A product that uses name calling and bribery has no place on this site. Enough is enough.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak

So prove it wrong. I'll say it again: Let's see some pictures.

It's time people know this junk is snakeoil. You can't hide behind a sponsorship - so lets see pictures of your claims like REAL products would provide.

And I won't listen to arguments from people who have received free bottles of AutoRx.

A product that uses name calling and bribery has no place on this site. Enough is enough.

Maybe the time has come for you guys to take an engine apart and show us the pictures, and then put it back together and run a Clean and Rinse, followed by a maintenance dose run, and then tear the engine down and show pics, I think people are getting tired of these 3rd party testimonials.

Has anyone taken an engine apart and showed the pics, put it back together, did a clean and rinse, followed by a maintenance dose run, tore it down and showed pics? Of it not working?

Maybe the time has come.

I think people are getting tired of these 3rd party testimonials too.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Compression tests are a good way to determine engine health. My uncle runs a boat with a 250 I6 Chevy engine. He did a compression test the beginning of the season and ran MMO in the engine and for S&G ran a compression test a few weeks ago. 4 of the 6 cyls were up to par #2 and #4 cyl's were dogging it at the start of the season. All 6 cyls are now up to spec.

He is trying to make a case to replace this engine. He fears the water jacket is going to let go one day, the engine is salt water cooled. He figured if the compression didn't come back it was time for an engine. No cigar!

So he was trying to use compression as a reason for warranty exchange of the engine, and at the same time attempted to restore the compression? The common tendency is to put that burden on the vendor/OEM to figure out the problem so to have any lack of remediation further bolster the notion that the engine is indeed defective.

A long time ago there was a set of before and aft piston pictures, from running ARX in a high mileage Honda Civic Motor.
I believe they were posted here as well as over at ARX. However, over the years, I think that was in year 2000, the pictures have disappeared.

Its too bad because they were very good pictures. I say that because I was present when the crank was dropped and the pistons were dropped out the bottom. In this test, the ARX was run only 200 miles and the difference was already night and day.

It is very much a pain in the rear to drop out pistons, may be more so to reinstall properly. This is why we continue to see only under valve cover photos.

I don't know how many compression tests have been done and posted over the years, may be 25 or 30. There used to be a nice set of top end picks, with compression tests, as a sticky post here in this section. Aaron was the name of the guy that did the test. His car was a high mileage Nissan 240Z. He was nice enough to photo the top end at start, after the cleaning phase, rinse phase, etc. times two applications.

Personally I rely more on the testing numbers, than on pictures anyways. There seems to have been alot more motor pics of ARX over the years than any other product talked about here. I think that ARX has a fairly solid reputation to stand behind at this point.

I think the only way to resolve this issue is to have a test like this.

1) Take before compression readings
2) Tear down engine and show pics
3) Put engine back together.
4) Run a Clean and Rinse
5) Run 2 OCI's with the Maintenance Dose
6) Take after compression readings
7) Tear engine down and show pics

Unless we have a test like this we will have members keep arguing about whether arx is a good product or not. This test would have to be done by someone who is not affiliated with arx in anyway. I really feel that most members want to see pictures, seeing is believing.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: ADFD1

So he was trying to use compression as a reason for warranty exchange of the engine, and at the same time attempted to restore the compression? The common tendency is to put that burden on the vendor/OEM to figure out the problem so to have any lack of remediation further bolster the notion that the engine is indeed defective.

WOW this was taken away out of context, my bad though for not explaining. He's had this engine about 15 years and is trying to make a case to himself as well as his wife that he needs a new engine. I guess it was too early in the morning for me to post. Sorry! The compression coming back are points against him.

Ah ..so we're really talking a battle of the sexes over resource dispersal. Nothing new there.
lol.gif

Yes it seems that way, but that engine keeps going and going. Salt water cooling is hard on the water jacket, but I have a feeling that old I/6 has lot more years to it.

Originally Posted By: Trajan
Has anyone taken an engine apart and showed the pics, put it back together, did a clean and rinse, followed by a maintenance dose run, tore it down and showed pics? Of it not working?

Maybe the time has come.

I think people are getting tired of these 3rd party testimonials too.

I feel if arx wants to say they are the best oil additive out there in cleaning an engine then we need to have some university do this test. We can have:

1) Auto-Rx versus MMO
2) Auto-Rx versus Risolone
3) Auto-Rx versus Neutra
4) Auto-Rx versus B-12
5) Auto-Rx versus Seafoam

I just think we can no longer believe auto-rx is the best because arx says so, I just feel nobody is buying that anymore, an independent test will prove whether arx is the best oil additve out there or not. The ball is now in arx's court and the time has come for them to prove that they are the best oil additive out there, this is the test we want, we do not want to here about another 3rd party test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back