Motorcraft 820s oil filter design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Superbuick96

Site Donor 2023
I just picked up an new Motorcraft 820s oil filter from Autozone, and noticed it is shorter and fatter then the 820's ive been using for the last 5 years. I was at Walmart yesterday and noticed they still carried the traditional 820's. Is the shorter/wider version a the new disign? Would this new filter be designed to work more efficiently, or just cheaper to build?

YES, it is a new design, but it's been out at least 6 months. Many like it because it is easier to install/remove in many tight fitting Ford apps. It was actually tested and posted on this board, that is just as efficient and does as good a job as the original which would now only be left as older inventory.

If you search you might be able to find the thread showing the new design lives up to it's claim on the box.

Thanks for the link...Now Im regreting buying the specific oil filter wrench for the old style 820's. I knew I should of bought the universal wrench. Didnt think Motorcraft would change the size of the 820 ever...

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
i think its just shorter. i can use the same wrench on the old ones versus new ones.
Correct. Same 93mm with 36 flutes, so no need to buy a new wrench end cap.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
i think its just shorter. i can use the same wrench on the old ones versus new ones.

I gave up buying end cap wrenches because every time I bought a different filter, or the same one sometime down the road it seems they changed the size slightly. Must have 6 or 8 different end cap wrenches by now. Going with grippy textured PureONEs now and just tightening by hand these days.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

I gave up buying end cap wrenches because every time I bought a different filter, or the same one sometime down the road it seems they changed the size slightly. Must have 6 or 8 different end cap wrenches by now. Going with grippy textured PureONEs now and just tightening by hand these days.
+1
thumbsup2.gif
Same here! But, son has an Explorer, and the FL820S is first choice for that vehicle. That makes that endcap essential. Besides, that purchase was to fill out an Advance Auto purchase to use one of the $10 off coopins on a $25 purchase . Couldn't go wrong.

But you are right, the texture makes Pure One installation a breeze.

re: motorcraft 820s
i thought they were only shorter but some are saying shorter and wider
i did not see them yet but i hope they are not wider the 820s barely fits my 04 grand marquis

Quote:
re: motorcraft 820s
i thought they were only shorter but some are saying shorter and wider
i did not see them yet but i hope they are not wider the 820s barely fits my 04 grand marquis
Who "some"? No one on this thread.

Hmmm, same diameter, same wrench end cap (93mm), hence ONLY the length has changed. See specs here.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
someone on this forum did say something about filter being wider

Then they are (hopefully) mistaken. I've got a Lincoln Mark VIII that takes the 820 and if it's any wider the filter wouldn't work. It's a tight fit the whole way. Length would not matter, but if it's wider, I'd have to switch to another brand.

Quote:
someone on this forum did say something about filter being wider
Like I said, no one on this thread said anything about the new design being "wider". Not wider, several times though. If they had, with the previous posts and link posted on this thread, all doubt about any exterior dimension change other than length, should have been laid to rest early on. Guess not.

Originally Posted By: Superbuick96
I just picked up an new Motorcraft 820s oil filter from Autozone, and noticed it is shorter and fatter then the 820's ive been using for the last 5 years. I was at Walmart yesterday and noticed they still carried the traditional 820's. Is the shorter/wider version a the new disign? Would this new filter be designed to work more efficiently, or just cheaper to build?

It was in the original post where someone thought it might be wider.

Quote:
It was in the original post where someone thought it might be wider.
Yes, and by the third post a link was posted to a post that linked to the exact specs. The fifth post alluded to the change only being in length and the sixth post confirmed it with diameter and same wrench endcap.

But gee, I hope it's not wider.
33.gif

You have to wonder how reliable the opinion is of somebody that has missed important details already posted. Are some confusing old stock with the new design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back