coolant decisions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read several posts on the subject of what to use either dexcool or switch to "green stuff" what exactly is the green stuff, are we talking about the conventional ( insert name brand ) or a all makes type coolant, not sure if they are green or another color ?
I have a 2000 alero that has a slow coolant leak and can't find any leaks anywhere, should i switch it out to something else ? what should i put in it ?
I also have a 05 chevy truck but have no problems so far with dexcool but i want to take care of it and don't want future problems, what should i use in it ?

A slow coolant leak on a V-6 Alero might mean a Lower Intake Manifold gasket leak. Check your oil filler cap for signs of condensation (or white goop). Look under the cap as well. If you don't use a UOA, now might be the time to start.

Fix it now (if indicated) before you lose the engine.

When I say green coolant I'm referring to what is closest to what worked for 50 years. Todays green has less silicates than in the past but IMO it's a better choice than Dexcool or a Dexclone.

Most coolant manufacturers still make a low silicated green coolant but not many places carry it.

If its V-6 it may be the intake.

If its a 2.4L the water pump tends to normally lose a little out its seal, enough that GM had a TSB installing a "weep kit" that held normal drippage in a foam pad to dry up rather than hit the ground. The replacement GM pump includes the part as well.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
When I say green coolant I'm referring to what is closest to what worked for 50 years. Todays green has less silicates than in the past but IMO it's a better choice than Dexcool or a Dexclone.

Most coolant manufacturers still make a low silicated green coolant but not many places carry it.

Yep, that's what I ended up switching to. Found NAPA house brand low silicate regular green coolant, not Dexcool. I do not mind changing it every two years.

the alero is the 3.4.

So is the all makes all models stuff the low silicate green stuff youre talking about?

Originally Posted By: built
the alero is the 3.4.

So is the all makes all models stuff the low silicate green stuff youre talking about?
No. As far as I know the all makes all models stuff is a Dexclone.

Originally Posted By: built
Yes how about peak lifetime or long life , a good choice for replacing dexcool ?

Read the back of the package, and if it has "2-EH" or "2 ethyl hexanoate" written on the ingredients list, then it is exactly like Dexcool.

I checked a few days ago on Peak's Global Lifetime and it mentions no 2-EH.

The long life, I believe, does but it has been some time since I looked at their back panel.

I figured there would be a good deal of stir on these forums about the Global Lifetime, but have read very little on it. Seems nobody is interested except in the traditional green or g05.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
I make it easy on my Accord... I just use OEM in it and dont worry about it....

Yeah, no coolant worries on an Accord, you just have to worry about when the automatic transmission is going to "grenade" like all the other Accords.

Cooling system fixes are cheap compared to 2 or 3 trannies. I can see why you don't worry about coolant.

Originally Posted By: bigmike
I checked a few days ago on Peak's Global Lifetime and it mentions no 2-EH.

The long life, I believe, does but it has been some time since I looked at their back panel.

I figured there would be a good deal of stir on these forums about the Global Lifetime, but have read very little on it. Seems nobody is interested except in the traditional green or g05.
Peak GL is OK when you can find it-unfortunately Old World is not very forthcoming about what is in their coolants, and GL seems to have been replaced by Extended Life, too much guessing & conjecture for me, GO-5/Premium Gold in everything but the ricer, & Toyota SLL or Zerex Asian Vehicle in that.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Peak GL is OK when you can find it-unfortunately Old World is not very forthcoming about what is in their coolants, and GL seems to have been replaced by Extended Life, too much guessing & conjecture for me, GO-5/Premium Gold in everything but the ricer, & Toyota SLL or Zerex Asian Vehicle in that.

Too much guessing and conjecture.......Exactly the problem. Nothing like the Zerex website.

We've had plenty of talk (guessing) about the Peak coolants here. Search back the past year.

At least the Peak website gives clues, the absolute worst for lack of info I find is the Prestone site, that or I just can't find the info.

I can buy Peak GL at Kmart. They have several gallons.

Never seen it anywhere else for sale. I checked Autozone, Advanced, Walmart, and others but never seen the GL.

I just would need to assume that GL would be more compatible than g05 due to it being able to mix with anything. In case I don't get everything out in the flush, I wouldn't need to worry as much as if I went with the G05. I have Dexcool in my GM, so it matters to me a great deal.

I can get the list of chemicals used from GL next time I'm in Kmart and provide them if it would warrant a good discussion?

http://www.peakantifreeze.com/peak_global_lifetime.html
http://www.oldworldind.com/chemicals/products.html
http://www.oldworldind.com/careers/our_products.htm

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: bigmike

I can get the list of chemicals used from GL next time I'm in Kmart and provide them if it would warrant a good discussion?

I think my container of Peak GL PreMix only mentions ethylene glycol, sodium benzoate and a fifteen digit 'proprietary inhibitor' that translates to a New Jersey Trade Secret Registry Number or NJTSRN .

The KMarts by me also have the product. I was beginning to wonder if that was just a local thing.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle

Too much guessing and conjecture.......Exactly the problem. Nothing like the Zerex website.

We've had plenty of talk (guessing) about the Peak coolants here. Search back the past year.

My goal is to eliminate the guessing and find some decent information for GM owners like myself. Most of the past year has been informative but nothing concrete. I created a thread a few weeks ago asking for assistance in my options (comments, suggestions, etc) for my GM truck and got only a few responses. Figured I'd just nudge the issue a little and see what comes of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back