Oil sample is back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: c55asleep
I just want to share some more info about the truck. It's my daily driver, drive about 70 miles a day, mostly highway and is rarely raced.

Then you're really changing it too often for any oil. What's the factory interval? It has to be way longer than 5k. No one would buy one with it requiring that much service. It has to fall into something like 7500 severe and 15k normal.

Hi,
c55asleep - You asked this question;
"Is castrol hypuron a better oil than amsoil?"

Pablo answered with a blanket "No Castrol is not better" or some such "throwaway" comment. How could he possibly know that????

I can say with great confidence that Castrol's diesel engine lubricants are first rate and have a much great Industry acceptance than Amsoil's HDEOs. Worldwide too! Why? - well, largely based on their on performance in the real world of fleet applications

Many of my clients have used Castrol's HDEOs for decades with great results - and so have I!

I also assisted in the development of their first semi-synthetic 15W-40 HDEO during the early 1990s (Enduro LD was its release name). This was the forerunner of those in use today. They are very cost effective products!

You can use them with confidence

Last edited:
Thanks Doug. I feel the same way with castrol as I have seen it being used in our
fleet of about 220 trucks. That's just at the site i work at not including the other sites across the US. These refuse trucks work 9 to 12 hour days and most 6 days a week
and get a beating. My concern was is it ok to use hypuron on light duty trucks as I have not seen anyone use it. I can get the oil close to nothing out of pocket so thats a plus. I started using Amsoil but I will see what I do on the next sample I send out.

As I recall, here is the heirarchy of Castrols' diesel OTR products. http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=82915561&contentId=7019852
Elixion - PAO HDEO
Hypuron - semisyn HDEO
Tection Extra - dino HDEO

I personally have used the TE product; had no issues; was pleased to buy 3 gallons for $24 on sale!

I would not at all be concerned about the use of Hypuron in a light duty diesel.

As I've tried to indicate, you must anaylze the operating and maintenance environment, and then select a product that matches the available performance to the criteria you seek.

I see no reason whatsoever that Hypuron would not work in a light duty truck, if the grade/cert were within OEM equipment specs.

Hi,
dnewton3 - An oft forgotten gem in Castrol's HDEO lineup is RX Super (a mineral lubricant). It has been around for decades

Others are (were) Turbomax and J-Max (for Japanese diesels), Synmax (5W-40 synthetic), CRF and CRB. Their CRB products (SAE30, 40 and 50) are excellent lubricants in 2 cycle DDs (I have used them in these engines for many decades).

Castrol have a very proud history with HDEOs - probably better than with their PCMOs!

How big of a deal is it switching to castrol hypuron after I have been using Amsoil for
about 15,000 miles. Is there any additive needed or just change it and call it a day?

Just change it. Flushing is never needed unless using something bizarre like castor bean oil, or unless dealing with a major contamination problem like antifreeze in the oil from a blown head gasket etc.
Thank you Doug Hillary for your always incisive comments.
As I mentioned in the PM, even though Hypuron is CJ4 it will work fine in your engine; which incidentally lacks certain emission devices. If you could get Elixion 10W40 it might be a hair's-breadth "better" because it is full synthetic and carries an E4/E5/MB228.5 rating as well as CI4/CH4 (you only need CH4 in your current configuration); mainly for greatly extended change intervals.
But considering you can't get it in North America and your price situation with Hypuron, I think it's what I'd use in your situation.

Charlie

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
c55asleep - You asked this question;
"Is castrol hypuron a better oil than amsoil?"

Pablo answered with a blanket "No Castrol is not better" or some such "throwaway" comment. How could he possibly know that????

So sorry, but Castrol is NOT better. (Some of you might observe, I didn't say "Amsoil is better".) How can you possibly currently know Castrol is better? It's not a ""throwaway" comment" - you really don't know much about Amsoil, but you know Castrol is better? You jump in here to "help" but in reality you just recommend anything but Amsoil. You actually didn't answer any of the OP's technical issues, yet people honor your responses. So interesting.

I don't think I've ever written Amsoil is the be all end all of HDEO's. They have a good solid range of products. Yes they cost good money as most synthetics do.

Hi,
Pablo - I have never stated that "Castrol is better...."

I can confidently state as I have earlier - I helped in the development of Castrol's semi synthetic HDEOs almost two decades ago and have used them (Castrol's HDEOs) for many decades in many engine families with great success. I have many many millions of kms experience with Castrol's HDEOs - much more than I have with Delvac, Shell and the DELO range, I (and/or my clients) have used (use) them all. I have no difficulty in recommending Castrol's HDEOs in their intended application!

Blanket statements using "better" by a purveyer of products when comparing products is at worst "destructive" and at best "unhelpful" - unless you have constructive evidence to support the statement. You don't have such data!

I don't comment on single pass UOAs unless I can add constructively to the topic. I don't plan to start either - other's comments in here including at least one of yours have no doubt been helpful to the OP

Last edited:
And did I say Amsoil is better? No I didn't. OP asked "Is castrol hypuron a better oil than amsoil?" I said it isn't. Insufficient information. So we can agree on something - "better" is a pretty useless word.

Thank you for acknowledgment that we have helped/tried to help the OP. Switching lubes on this single UOA just seems odd - especially based on a single oxidation number. If he wants a lower cost lubricant, then no problem with that.

Pablo, you are correct a single oil sample is not enough to
determine if an oil is worth it or not. Thats why I said that
I would give the oil another try and send it to get sampled at
5,000 miles. The oil I just put is fresh. Depending what results I obtain is the avenue I will take. To be honest no matter what a company promotes I will always end up changing it at that interval so amsoil might just be overkill for me. Maybe its the old catching up with me. Btw oxidation does seem pretty important to me.

Oxidation is EXTREMELY important, but have you been understanding what I (and others) have been writing about your single number? (No offense, but it sort of seems like you have not been understanding us)

Originally Posted By: dnewton
Oxidation cannot be understood unless the baseline is known, and the type of testing used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back