XPP memory upgraded, change which settings?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought realistically XP only supported 3.25 Gb due to some architecture limitation in x86; check the system C.P. to see if it says 3.25Gb.

XP 32-bit, unless you start with a fresh/raw OS with SP-2 and all the Windows approved SW and drivers intact, otherwise, performing upgrades to SP-3 tends to be a hit-or-miss affair (had my similar share of frustrations so I decided to stay on with SP-2 on my 2econdary machine).

I currently only got 1GB of Ram on mine and it's also my workhorse.

First, perform a full scandisk (the one that requires a reboot to run) and let it check everything's integrity.

Purge all your temporary files using something like CCleaner.

With the XP install disc handy, open a command prompt and type:

Quote:
sfc /scannow

If a file needs replacement, you will be prompted to supply the disc.

After that completes, download the full redistributable SP2 and attempt reinstallation of that.

if that is successful, download the full redistributable SP3 and attempt it again.

It is important to use the FULL REDISTRIBUTABLE version of the service packs. A google search will provide the necessary link. They may be called "network installation" versions. If the file size looks large (>250MB), you've got the right file.

Quote:

I think when it's tuned it should be much better.

I guess just adding the memory and expecting the OS to utilize it efficiently is out of the question...

You ought to think about moving to a more modern OS.

sprintman, simple_gifts makes a good point, XP is a has-been. Install Win 7 on a fresh hard disk, then move your data over from the old hard disk to the new installation. It runs fine on old Pentium processors. The biggest bottleneck is the disk, the newer/faster the disk, the more responsive it will be (true of any computer).

Also, check to see if there are video & audio drivers for your system with Win7, if so, go for it. No more XP for me, Win7 is the way to go, even on 5 year old machines assuming audio/video drivers are available.

Quote:

Install Win 7 on a fresh hard disk

Well, that wasn't what I was talking about...
whistle.gif

about the pagefile setting - leave it "system managed size" especially with so much ram. XP is pretty good at VMM and the old adage about setting the swapfile to a specific size to ensure a contiguous file and avoid fragmentation of the file is just that - an old adage - it no longer applies to XP and onwards.
Still if you are concerned about it there are swapfile defragmenters available.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
sprintman, simple_gifts makes a good point, XP is a has-been.

I'm running W7 on multiple systems, from high end i7s down to old Pentium Ms. But XP is not a has-been just yet. It's going to be around for a while, at least until 2014. It is still faster than W7 and mature in a good way. It's stable with a lot of programs.

On an older system, there can be nearly insurmountable hardware hurdles getting W7x64 to run with 4gb. For those systems, the question is W7x64 or x86, or XP . . . with 3.25GB. I suspect that is the case here.

The OP can certainly run W7, but under 4GB it won't better XP. Without enough GPU, it could be a bit worse. In my experience, the video is the weak leg on older systems with W7. Unless it's an old gamer's rig, a 5 yo graphics system is going to have problems. The practical absolute minimum seems to be a nV6200/R9550. I'm not sure I'd burn $100 for W7 and barely/no aero on a box this old. For $30 or $50 . . . maybe.

If he can get SP3 aboard, he likely will see a slight improvement, and it will be supported for the remaining useful life of that hardware. Forget about that last .75 GB, though.

Runs a bit better but not as well as expected. I suspect some tuning still will help. Pagefile defrag runs at boot now (Mark Russinovich program), Mydefrag 4.2.1 daily follwed by file defrag with Defraggler. Will continue to try and get SP3 installed, recalcitrant little system my PC..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back