2008 GL1800, Rotella T 10W30 SM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron: Universal averages show typical wear levels for a GL1800 after about 4,500 miles on the oil. Your oil run lasted 4,223 miles and wear metals read higher than average, but this is mostly due to lingering wear-in. The viscosity for this oil read normally as 10W30. There was no fuel, water or antifreeze present. Silicon read at 13 ppm, but 4ppm of this is from an additive in the oil. So, the true silicon reading is 9 ppm, which shows air filtration was good. Oil filtration also looked good. All in all, this was a nice first report

Blackstone Labs Test results:

Oil...............Rotella T 10W30
Filter............OEM
Total Miles.....7,984
Miles on oil.....4,223
Time on Oil.....3 Mo
Make up oil......0
Aluminum.........13
Chromium.........1
Iron................28
Copper............30
Lead...............1
Tin.................2
Moly...............71
Nickel.............0
Manganese.......2
Silver.............0
Titanium.........0
Potassium........6
Boron.............47
Silicon............13
Sodium...........11
Calcium..........2286
Magnesium.......9
Phosphorus.......1244
Zinc...............1319
Barium............2
Flashpoint F......405
Fuel............... Antifreeze........0
Water.............0
Insoluables.......0.3
SUS [email protected]
cST [email protected]
TBN.................Not Tested

Not a bad report really. Don't know about the lingering break-in but I wouldn't be too concerned about the higher wear metals present. Just do a follow up at your next change and see if wear metals have gone down. They probably would.

Why did you go with a 30 weight oil? I thought the 'Wings called for a 40 weight. I could be wrong though.

Here's a UOA on factory fill (which indicates break-in).
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1585106&page=1

I'd say the Rotella did fine, and wear will continue to come down. When it will "settle" to a final normal zone I'm not sure, but you're heading in the right direction.

I personnally use this product (Rotella 10w-30) in just about all my equipment, including my Dmax and Kubota. I have yet to put it in my Wing, only because I'm burning up my last gallons of RTS.

Last edited:
Nice report! Wear metals came way down from the factory fill so it does look like break in....What kind of rpm range do you normally operate in on the goldwing ?

Just to be clear, the UOA here and the one I linked are not from the same bike. I just wanted to show how much wear metal comes from a GL1800 in a factory fill first UOA.

Sorry If I confused anyone. I couldn't figure out how to post my oil report, so if mine looks similar to dnewton3 it's because I copied and pasted his entire oil listing to my post, then just filled my specs in place of his. So the style of the report is identical, but not the same motorcycle. Both 2008 Goldwings though. I do most my riding on the interstate at 75-80 with some mountain roads mixed in. No city driving.

Thanks for posting this; I wanted to see how this oil held up in a Goldwing. Will start to run this in mine. Looks like a great value in 10w30 oil.

One more clarification. That was not my UOA; only one I found that was recent and I linked it for comparison to show how there are a lot of wear metals at break in on a Wing.

I intend to run Rotella 10w-30 in my wing when I finally run out of my stash of RTS 5w-40, which should be early next year.

I'm gonna get hammered for this - but I run the 5W-30 Mobil 1 silver cap for winter fill in my GL1800. We ride down in the 20's......

It gets some good 'ol Rotella for the warmer weather.

I realize that 56,xxx miles is not representative of what an EC oil could do to my clutch pack, but I'll be the guinea pig and let ya all know.

when i was in wallyworld today looking for the new srt, i stopped at the pennz 5w20 and pondered for a few minutes.

i'm not gonna hammer ya, i'm interested to know how it holds up in the 2wheel mobile home.

A Gold Wing is on the other end of the sprectrum from the kind of bikes that you're running. More car engine than anything - except that shared sump for the gear box.....

I never sent in an oil sample so I don't have anything to go on. I figured what the heck - even if it shears to a 20 wt it wouldn't be so bad. When the temperatures get back up in the 40's then we change back.

Three years ago - a good friend bestowed upon me a drum of the "silver cap". Would be a shame to waste it.

21.gif

if someone gave me a drum of silver cap, i'd run it until i needed a new clutch too!!! (if that ever happened). hmmmmm let's see here. even a small drum of 35gal x $22 = $770 of xmo's product.
yeah, that would equate to a few clutch packs i could buy instead.

nice friend.

Yeah - he's retired now and I'm not going to say from where. No - it's not the 35 gallon drum. It's the big one.

I stored it in the basement because it's pretty much temperature controlled and figured that it would have a longer shelf life that way.

I will say this - it was a mo-fo to move.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back