ARx problems in ATF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: c3po

I just want to leave the mix of arx and ATF in the freezer for 12 hours and then pour it out and see what happens, good or bad.

What are you expecting to change that relates to time and not simply temperature?

You can mix any ratio you would like in beaker or graduated cylinder in samples of 32 ml. Glass or pyrex is prefered in that it has very little insulative properties. In other words the cold will get to the fluid much quicker.

Nine quarts in the freezer?

I have the results and I have to say they look very good.

A recap, I put in 2 ounces of arx into an empty quart container of Amsoil ATF. I then added almost a quart of fresh Amsoil ATF. I shook the bottle really good so that the arx would mix with the ATF. I put it in the freezer that has a temp of 0 degrees and I ended up leaving it in there for 13 hours.

I took it out this morning and went out to the garage and got a funnel and poured the ATF that had 2 ounces of arx into my other empty container which was an Amsoil ATF container. The arx did not come out of suspension, I was expecting to see clumps of arx and I did not observe that. The mix did pour out a little bit thick, but that is to be expected when you have something sitting in the freezer at 0 degrees for 13 hours.

I do agree with Rick20, 9 quarts of ATF in the freezer, you cannot be serious. The arx application calls for 6 ounces of arx, and my trans holds 11 quarts, were you expecting me to find a container that could hold 11 quarts of trans fluid mixed in with 6 ounces of arx.

I plan on taking a quart of Amsoil ATF that has no arx in it, and then putting that in the freezer, as well as putting the quart of ATF that has the 2 ounces of arx, they may pour out the same, maybe and we will see, it could be that arx does not thicken up the host oil, the way this test went I have a hunch that this next test will show nothing, meaning both bottles will pour the same.

The only thing I can say to you guys who did not like the way Rick20 and myself did these tests is to do one yourself, I tried to do my test the same way as Rick's except I left mine in the freezer for 10 more hours and I think he stated his freezer was at 20 degrees and mine was at 0 degrees.

Hopefully we can make this a positive discussion, since what I thought arx would do did not happen, I told you guys I would post my results good or bad, and they came out very good.

if you have accurate measuring cup and convert oz to mL you can make small batches of it like 5 oz batches. i don't know how many qts AD's AT is, say 6oz into 11 qts = .5454 oz/qt = 16.1 mL/qt

32oz/qt 5oz sample/32 = 15.6% x 16.1mL = 2.5 mL/5oz ATF

more if AD has a MT, but there's still the problem of not being sub-zero

Now put some in your engine(s) for 6,200 miles (no ester oil of course). Do a before/after compression test (none of the idiotic looking under the valve cover rubbish) and give us the results. I'll even donate the RX. Cheers..s

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Ex military here. I'm going to PM you with some stuff not for public consumption. You OK with that? Cheers..stevo

Me? Sure no problem.

I had a feeling at such a small % A-rX wasn't going to thicken the ATF much, if any, at all. Good news. I might just go for it, I will wait a little longer until I get closer to the 1000 miles before I plan on servicing the unit. IIRC it holds ~11 qts with the converter.

Originally Posted By: ADFD1
Originally Posted By: sprintman
Ex military here. I'm going to PM you with some stuff not for public consumption. You OK with that? Cheers..stevo

Me? Sure no problem.

I had a feeling at such a small % A-rX wasn't going to thicken the ATF much, if any, at all. Good news. I might just go for it, I will wait a little longer until I get closer to the 1000 miles before I plan on servicing the unit. IIRC it holds ~11 qts with the converter.

Guys, and Rick20 please chime in here, 2 ounces of arx to 1 quart of ATF is not a small amount of arx. The does of arx used to be 2 ounces of arx to every quart of oil. The Clean Phase of arx is 12 ounces, so if you have a 5 or 6 quart sump this is pretty close to the 2 ounces per quart. If your trans holds 10 quarts of ATF then that would mean something like 20 ounces of arx, but since the trans application calls for 6 ounces of arx it seems to me that since Rick20 and I ran the same amount of arx in our tests even though my test was longer we kind of overdosed our amount for the trans application. If you take 6 ounces of arx and put it in a trans with 12 quarts that like half an ounce per quart. and I did 2 ounces per quart, this is not a small amount.

I've always just used 6oz in an automatic. The true volume can vary a bit from model to model ..sure. Mine takes (normally) 9 quarts total, but I have a 2 quart deeper pan. I'd be using close to a half oz per quart. It's a much cleaner environment in there and most everything is under forced circulation. There's not much splash to it.

I personally don't see a +/-.25oz/quart being an issue ..others may feel differently.

Instruction call for 6 fluid ounce total in the sump. I think perhaps it would be best to state it as a ratio. My trhinking is 3/4 to a maximum of 1 fluid ounce per quart is plenty of ARX to get the cleaning job done in 1000 miles, in an auto trans.

I say this because Auto sumps are all over the map with regards to volume. I was really suprised to see Gary's post on oil capcities, ranging form 3.7 quarts up to 9 quarts on some Yota automatics.

I have always run 1 fluid ounce per quart in all manual gear boxes, differentials, and transfer cases.

My Allison holds 13.8 quarts....
wink.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back