Product Key+Authentic sticker but no WIN XP CD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dear BITOG members,

As I mentioned before, someone donated a computer to me with a blank hard drive. The Authentic Certificate+Product key sticker is on the computer but there's no Windows XP CD-ROM. Is there a way to get Windows XP?

I do have Windows XP for the computer I'm using now; will it work for the other computer if I type it the other computer's product key?

Thank you so much in advance.

Does the OP need to find an OEM copy or will a retail CD work? Also, if he has an MCE key for XP, I know it is requires a different copy.

Certain OEM keys will only work with certain OEM versions of XP. I have run into situations where I had to install the OEM version of XP Pro w/SP1 as the newer OEM versions (with SP2 or SP2) on them, from the same mfr (HP) would not work with the key on the side of the computer. picky picky picky!

If you can't find a CD the i386 folder from another XP computer will have all you need.

You'll need to get the machine running with "something" though, Win98, bootable rescue CD, etc.

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
Certain OEM keys will only work with certain OEM versions of XP. I have run into situations where I had to install the OEM version of XP Pro w/SP1 as the newer OEM versions (with SP2 or SP2) on them, from the same mfr (HP) would not work with the key on the side of the computer. picky picky picky!

Yup, very true!

To the OP: MS will send you a CD for a few dollars. You pay for the license, not the CD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back