Gates vs NAPA Radiator Hose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cost of NAPA radiator outlet hose is about 2x Gates. Can NAPA be that much better? I installed a NAPA inlet radiator hose last year and it appears to be of very high quality. Now I need an outlet hose (preventative maintenance)and thought I would save a few bucks by buying Gates. Anypone know who makes radiator hose for NAPA.

PS I have a 99 Toyota Avalon with 98k miles. The original outlet hose looks good with no swelling or soft spots so I am not in a rush. I changed the outlet hose on my 99 Lexus RX300 last year as prevention. The factory hose loooked like it was brand new. Toyota says their factory hoses should last the life of the vehicle but I am old school and feel like 10years/100k miles is enough for a radiator hose.

NAPA belts and hoses are made by Gates..."to NAPA specs". How much diffrence is there? Who knows, but I'll bet not much. At half the cost, I'd certainly buy the Gates.

The hose maybe made by Gates for Napa, my timing belt for the Civic was! The upper radiator hose on my Accord lasted 15 Years, the OEM stuff is very good i wouldn't change it until it shows signs of deterioration.
joe

Around here, NAPA stores have discounts for various groups, like employees and retirees of certain businesses, etc. Ask them if they offer a discount. I get almost 60% off some of their prices!

Sometimes they mold the zigzag in the middle then make it long enough for one app while it fits another if you cut it down. Cuts on shelf space and makes a better price, for a tiny inconvenience.

Never had a problem with a NAPA hose and they seem nice but a little lighter weight than OE.

I've only had hose problems when they get gooey from accidental oil exposure.

Napa Radiator hose = Gates. Napa doesn't make their hoses - they have Gates make them to their specs. Whether their is any difference between the Napa specs and Gates specs, only they know.

That being said, I've always been happy using Gates belts and hoses (and their clones). I'd grab the half price one and run with it.

IMO it has to do with the OEM.

My NGK ignition wires for Taurus looks like [censored], but my NGK ignition wires for Integra looks great. It is a matter of what the OEM specify and pay, and that trickle down to the aftermarket.

Hoses are the same.

Last edited:
If you see EC/R on a gates hose, that means it has the ability to resist electro/checmical degration.
so if you have bad grounds and your aluminum gets pitted frequently, the hoses get broken down internally and crack. the gates hoses allegedly will resist the electrolysis and last longer.
I've always run goodyear hoses (which don't have this) and they're usually replaced every 5 years anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back