Redline in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, wondering if there is an oil that can be purchased in Europe that has the same or higher cleaning characteristics on the Redline for diesel engines.

My car has started to release a noise coming from the bearing shells and it seems that it needs an engine flush before the additives but don't want to use any solved and kerosene.

Thanks

Motul 300V.

Better yet, you could do an Auto-RX treatment with your next oil change, provided they can ship internationally.

Keep in mind that cleaning by either of those methods will take at least a few thousand miles.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Motul 300V.

Better yet, you could do an Auto-RX treatment with your next oil change, provided they can ship internationally.

Keep in mind that cleaning by either of those methods will take at least a few thousand miles.

No problem with the mileage as i am doing 100 miles per day and will go by very soon.

Why do you recommend the 300V? Is it better than the Redline? Is the 300V higher in esthers than the Redline?
What is the Auto-RX treatment?

Thanks

Originally Posted By: sprintman
Redline is available in Europe and there was an Auto-Rx agent in England many years back.

Let me if you remember more as is always nice to try the Redline if possible.

Originally Posted By: Morpheus
Why do you recommend the 300V? Is it better than the Redline? Is the 300V higher in esthers than the Redline?

I'm not sure if 300V is higher in esters, but I like it better than Red Line for short-to-moderate OCIs. Motul is a bigger company with a better and longer standing reputation overall, and they actually works with manufacturers to formulate stuff to their specs. 300V is one of the definitive race oils (it's used in a lot of professional race cars right out of the can), yet it has enough detergents and stuff for a 7k-8k mile OCI in a properly running engine.

Also to be fair, I'm assuming you're interested in Red Line's street oils, which could definitely run longer OCIs than Motul 300V. As I mentioned above, I am also assuming you're looking for a product to run for short-to-moderate OCIs for cleaning purposes. But if you are interested in longer OCIs, Motul's street oils could also run much longer than 300V, and unlike Red Line they have the OEM approvals to prove it.

In general, I've never seen or heard a reason to use a Red Line product over an equivalent Motul product except in the US, where Red Line costs half as much per quart -- which, to be fair, is a LOT.

Possibly the only treatment of its kind that actually works.
wink.gif

http://auto-rx.com/

I'm not sure if 300V is higher in esters, but I like it better than Red Line for short-to-moderate OCIs. Motul is a bigger company with a better and longer standing reputation overall, and they actually works with manufacturers to formulate stuff to their specs. 300V is one of the definitive race oils (it's used in a lot of professional race cars right out of the can), yet it has enough detergents and stuff for a 7k-8k mile OCI in a properly running engine.

Also to be fair, I'm assuming you're interested in Red Line's street oils, which could definitely run longer OCIs than Motul 300V. As I mentioned above, I am also assuming you're looking for a product to run for short-to-moderate OCIs for cleaning purposes. But if you are interested in longer OCIs, Motul's street oils could also run much longer than 300V, and unlike Red Line they have the OEM approvals to prove it.

In general, I've never seen or heard a reason to use a Red Line product over an equivalent Motul product except in the US, where Red Line costs half as much per quart -- which, to be fair, is a LOT.

Possibly the only treatment of its kind that actually works.
wink.gif

http://auto-rx.com/

Yes, i am looking for Red Line because of the cleaning effect and yes, i have used Motul excess 8400 and it was excellent probably better than Mobil1 but maybe not everybody will agree... :D

Is it better than the Redline? Is the 300V higher in esthers than the Redline?

No and no
13.gif

Morpheus said:
300V is one of the definitive race oils (it's used in a lot of professional race cars right out of the can), yet it has enough detergents and stuff for a 7k-8k mile OCI in a properly running engine.

What manufacturer specs does the 300V line carry?

It carries no certifications, if that's what you mean.

I didn't claim it did, by the way. I said Motul works with OEMs, and their street oils carry certifications.

In what way does Motul work with OEMS, and how is this different from the way other lubricant manufacturers work with OEMs?

Red Line works with factory sponsored race teams (Acura, BMW, Nissan), FWIW.

Their whole strategy centers on using manufacturer's specs as the starting point for their formulations.

I'm pretty darn sure more race teams use Motul than use Red Line, at least on the high end (Le Mans etc.)

Also, if my understanding is correct, the Redline is made out polyesters... not sure about the advantages but it seems everybody has only good things to say about it :D

Last edited:
Their whole strategy centers on using manufacturer's specs as the starting point for their formulations.

I can read Motul's press packet too, I was looking for something a bit more substantive.

I'm going on the word of the people I've spoken to at Motul USA.

By the way, for someone so critical of press packets, you seem to put a lot of weight behind Red Line's statements. Interesting IMO.

I was looking for something a bit more substantive from you, not a line regurgitated verbatim from Motul's website. I thought maybe there was a possibility you knew something I didn't regarding Motul's "OEM ties", but it seems that I was mistaken.

That's verbatim? News to me. Maybe the guy I heard it from was reading it from there.

Either way, if you're going to attack a statement from a press packet just because it's from a press packet, make sure you're not in the habit of doing similarly. Throwing stones and glass houses and all that.

Care to make any further contribution to the discussion at hand?

Either way, if you're going to attack a statement from a press packet just because it's from a press packet, make sure you're not in the habit of doing similarly. Throwing stones and glass houses and all that.

Where are facts in that statement, where are the specifics?

You made the claim, so I assumed you were privy to the info necessary to back it up.

Notice how the Red Line statements I provided for you addressed your claims specifically. There's a big disparity here.

Relevance does not equal substance.
wink.gif

The best evidence I can offer, other than my word about the conversations I've had with Joey and others at Motul USA, is the following:

- Motul's street oils carry manufacturer's certifications, as they have for a long time.
- Motul has been successful sponsoring factory teams for years in various kinds of prominent motorsports, from WRC to Moto GP to various kinds of GT racing (in addition to the privately owned teams).

By contrast, Red Line has no oils with OEM certifications, and in fact have said that OEM certifications are a waste of money. Their website shows them in NASCAR, some NHRA stuff, the Speed World Challenge, and a few other smaller races, but only one factory team. I think it's reasonable to conclude from this that Red Line isn't as big on working with OEMs.

Now, do I think this necessarily makes Motul's oils better? No. It says nothing for sure about the oils themselves, so that would be absurd. The original point I was making was that I prefer Motul because I feel better about the basis of their formulations, and have never seen a reason to think Red Line is better other than the price in the US. I don't think that's unreasonable, do you?

Red Line's basestock is a PAO/POE blend.

Motul 300V basestock is a Di-Ester. Their 8100 series of oils is also ester based and much cheaper but it's not a di-ester.
If your just interested in the cleaning affect of esters and not the high temperature performance I'd go with the 8100 series.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back