Not the same: Chevron Supreme and Havoline

Status
Not open for further replies.
As some of you may have known, I posted a while back in regards to contacting a Chevron tech as to whether Havoline and Chevron Supreme are identical formulations. This past week, I've been talking to a BITOG member whom works for Chevron via e-mail, and we've discussed this topic.

From what he has told me, Chevron Supreme and Havoline share the same base oil, but use different additive packs, with Havoline having the more robust additive pack. Havoline is suppose to be their higher-end oil, which makes it the one that happens to have the more robust additive pack.

In addition, he stated to me that it is illegal to market an indentical product under different brand names and charge different amounts for it. (violation of some trade act) Thus, as similar as Delvac 1 and Truck & SUV may appear, they are indeed different products.

[ November 12, 2005, 12:58 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Exactly. I was told the same thing by CVX. I believe them. Both excellent oils, just one has a slightly better additive package.

Hmmmm there are soooo many instances where different "brands" from the same manufacturer are so close to be nearly indistinguishable..I am not buying the "illegal" mumbo jumbo. There are ways around this.

Regarding the formulations of oil. They can be so close yet just slightly different. Both of these oils appear to be very good oils. @.49 a qt after rebate from Kragen...Chevron looks really robust

LOL Love that word Robust

We do have comparable VOAs of SL 5w30 Chevron and Havoline. Differences are minute, and additive types are the same. My guess is that the new formula is the same way. They are different, yes, but only enough to say that they are different.

-T

quote:

In addition, he stated to me that it is illegal to market an indentical product under different brand names and charge different amounts for it. (violation of some trade act)

Ask the Chevron expert to post the law that states that. He is a member of BITOG. He does not need a Mouthpiece to do his posting.

When you produce that law come and arrest me, because when I was in business I violated that law. (Not Oil business)

"When you produce that law come and arrest me, because when I was in business I violated that law."

Are you the Police? No ma'am, we're musicians...

I don't buy that "illegal" crap, either. (Have to laugh - the voice on the other end of the line is not only a motor oil technical expert, he's now a legal expert, too? Right - anyone besides me see a pattern here?) I bought a "Zenith" widescreen TV last January. Except for the label, it has it's exact counterpart under the "LG" label. (Korean electronics conglomerate LG bought the rights to the "Zenith" name when Zenith was dissolved under bankruptcy five or so years ago.) Guess what? The "LG" set is list priced $50.00 higher. I haven't heard of any FTC proceedings against LG to date. Why? Because manufacturers are perfectly within their rights to charge any price they wish as part of their marketing strategy. Correspondingly, consumers are perfectly within their rights to research list pricing and product features to make informed purchase decisions accordingly (or be brain-dead gullible if they wish).

"In addition, he stated to me that it is illegal to market an indentical product under different brand names and charge different amounts for it."

Guess this doesn't apply to automakers. They're the masters at doing this.

People use the "against the Law" thing for a convenient device to get you to comply with their wishes. Everything from brake jobs to movie tickets,(I can't let you bring in your own snacks..."it's against the Law") if you don't do it their way, it's "against the Law".

hmmm what about exxon superflo and mobil 5000...very similar add packs...but different? most people here say they are the same...

Given the normal parameters of say 3/4/5/7.5k (max for a majority of folks) OCI's, I think a real practical question, to cut to the chase: SO WHAT? Because a lot of folks (including myself) do like to read and debate VOA's and UOA's, to me the most important question is what is the statistical significance? I would argue there probably is close to NONE (no statistical significance differences) for the two cited products. Is one better or worse than the other? In the context of absolutes and splitting hairs: ABSOLUTELY.

Upshot: Buy on price!! (within the so called good crop)

The oils are pretty much identical. I'd say it's all about marketing/name brand recognition...signature Havoline has more name brand equity and has been in the motor oil market for several decades(like a centurys' worth, if not mistaken..) than nascent Supreme.

I'd bet that's one of the reasons why Chevron bought Texaco..they're after the Havoline name.

Can't argue for $0.49/qt Isosyn/GII+ oil..
smile.gif

Dude I only see Havoline for $1.98 which is what I paid for it. Where are you guys getting this stuff for .49?

BTW, the only ones probaly not believing CVX are just upset bc they are using the Chevron and not the Havoline.
tongue.gif
In all seriousness, it probably doesn't matter at all.

Chevron is 49 cents at Checker. I use Chevron, but I garantee my version is more potent.
wink.gif

Like I said, we have proof that the previous formulations were almost identical. The only thing we have on the other side, is some call center guy saying they are "different".

-T

Chevron is 49 cents at Checker. I use Chevron, but I garantee my version is more potent.

As if you have the monopoly on that...
wink.gif

I've been running a 20/40/40 cocktail of Havoline Synthetic 5w30/Delo 15w40/Supreme 10w40 in my hi mileage 190E for a good 2k now..for an old skool MBZ W201, this 102.061 engine runs pretty dang quiet.

Next fill, would be a 40/60 SM GF-4 Supreme 5w30/SL CI-4+ Delo 15w40.
burnout.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back