TQ wrench

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a inexpensive torque wrench I have always had good luck with Craftsman. Of course most have now been replaced by Snap-On, but I still use them from time to time.

Cheap torque wrenches in my experience are significantly less accurate in the lower say 20-30% of the torque range but the farther you get up in the overall range the more accurate they get (within the 4% error range they advertise).

The cheap clickers also aren't as precise. I have a device I made and by keeping it at the same setting X, sometimes it will click at X-1 ftlb or X+2 ftlb....as in they aren't as reproducible.

If you are short for cash, I'd get a beam torque wrench, they are perfectly accurate and are based on 800 year old technology and it doesn't fail. The only major short coming on a beam wrench is having to be able to look at the gauge in the position the bolt you are torquing which is sometimes hard when it isn't something like spark plugs or head bolts on an inline or V engine.

I really like the Harbor Freight 1/2" click one. It goes on sale for $14, sometimes even $10, and comes with a nice case.

I've bought four or five so that I always have one handy. When working on brakes it's nice to be able to leave one set to wheel bolt torque while another is used for other work.

The Harbor Freight ones have lasted far longer than the Craftsman one that broke the ratchet pawl with only light use. The usual Craftsman warranty doesn't apply to torque wrenches. To fix the under-designed pawl would have required buying a redesigned ratchet head at almost the original wrench's cost.

Beam torque wrenches aren't even in consideration: they are difficult to use accurately, can't be read in some orientations, aren't very repeatable, and easily lose calibration.

I've had one of the Harbor Freight 1/2 in. ones for about 2 years now. Have now used it 5 times and it seems to hold up real well. hehe For the home owner that will only use it once in a while its OK I think, course if I was a pro mechanic using it weekly--weeellllll?????

Kobalt torque wrenches at Lowe's are made by Danaher, the same manufacturer as Craftsman. they are identical, but the Kobalt actually has a lifetime warranty on it.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
I've had one of the Harbor Freight 1/2 in. ones for about 2 years now. Have now used it 5 times and it seems to hold up real well. hehe For the home owner that will only use it once in a while its OK I think, course if I was a pro mechanic using it weekly--weeellllll?????

I would hope a pro mechanic would be using a torque wrench constantly, but there are plenty of shops where you don't see even one

A pro probably already has an opinion, and it's likely heavily colored by which local tool truck treats them well.

If I used a torque wrench many times each day, I would investigate a true (strain gauge) digital one. They make noise as you are getting close the target torque. But I don't know if they are easy to set and rugged enough for constant use.

There are digital ones that look like the good strain gauge type, but are really standard click-type with simple digital counter on the handle adjuster.

As long as you follow the directions for a clicker (when you are done, drop the setting to the lowest value) the cheaper units from Northern tools and Harbor Freight are actually quite good. I know several guys with the HF ones and I have a Northern Tools ½” that I use at the house for setting wheel stud torque.

I also have CDI strain gauge electronic wrenches for more "precise" requirements but to be honest about it, every time that I have had my Snappy guy check them, that old NT clicker has been within 4% in the range of 50 ft-lbs up to 150 ft-lbs.

The HF guys have noticed the same thing with theirs when tested. Do not use them to break bolts loose, don't throw them around or drop them, set them to their lowest torque setting when not being used, store them in their case for protection and they will give you great service for the money.

Are they pro level tools that will hold up torquing thousands of bolts a year? No. Will they work well for a weekend warrior needing to torque a few hundred bolts a year? Yes.

If you have a 1/2 coupler, you can spot check them with a known accurate wrench between calibration checks. I check mine with one of my CDI electronics every month or so just to make sure they are close to spec.

Originally Posted By: ARB1977
I may get the Craftsman since they got a lifetime warrenty.

Craftsman torque wrenches only have a 90 General Warranty. Check their site.

I have a craftsman digital adaptor that goes between a 1/2 breaker bar and 1/2 socket.

I would rather have a 1/2 clicking torque wrench.

Precision Instruments makes a very reliable torque wrench. Their 1/2" and 3/8" drive split-beam models cost less than $150.

I have not had good experiences with the HF clickers. The rotate handle that is used to set the torque value keeps getting stuck. Currently I am on my second replacement and this one is starting to have the same problem.

Originally Posted By: defektes
I have broken Craftsman ones before and have brought them instore for a quick replacement. But for the every day guy, craftsman.

The Craftsman torque wrenches have only a 90 day warranty.

You likely had a regular ratchet replaced, not a torque wrench.

Due to my OCD with maintenance(kidding) and my quest for a good torque wrench, I recommend looking at the Precision Instuments brand. I am 99% certain that this company supplies the wrenches for Snap-On, Craftsman (digital), and probably others as the specs are mostly identical. I have been happy with the Snap-On wrenches at work. My wonderful girlfriend bought me the Craftsman digital wrench for Xmas last year and it has served me well.

Google "Precision Instruments" and you will find various vendors that sell them. A good wrench will not be cheap. I've been eyeing a Precision Instruments dial-type 1/4" 10-100 lb/inch wrench for awhile so I can adjust the bands in my auto transmission properly.

Happy searching. No substitute for the right quality tool for the job!

By the way, the nuts go back on the bolts they came from and the fastener goes back into the same place in was...I know, I got problems...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back