Joe Gibbs Racing Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yiiikes, $119 for a case of 12 quarts.

From Joe's web site...
quote:

The actual oil used in all Joe Gibbs Racing Engines. Joe Gibbs Performance Racing Oil combines a unique mixture of synthetic base oils and performance additives to deliver unmatched performance. This case of quart bottles puts 3 gallons of championship proven racing oil in easy to use single quart containers.

....what more do you need to know?

This oil sounds like it's designed for the high horsepower monsters running around on the street and the tracks. Not to say that the daily driver can't use it though as long as it's capable of being used on a daily basis. Some racing oils are just that, racing oils and are not designed to go for a few thousand miles before being changed. Give Gibbs a jingle and see what he says about it.

If I'm not mistaken, the guy said you can't run this oil in a daily driver due to the lack of detergency.

If this lubricant does lack some in the detergent department, couldn't you use good 'ole VSOT or SX-UP to beef up the particulates that are missing and/or lacking?

I just might give 'em a call at this point, besides, what have I to lose? a five minute phone conversation (I've wasted MUCH more time on lesser activities in my day...)

Good question. I'd ask Molekule. I really think this oil is just a big waste of money with so many other options available. But it's always fun to look at other brands.
smile.gif
The guy I spoke with was very informative. Try calling them.

Yep, me again asking about another expensive botique oil....long live the botiques!!!

Does anyone have any personal experience using this stuff other than in an actual racing situation?

Naturally, everything is a "mystery", but is talked up pretty good as Mr. Gibbs himself says that they couldn't find an oil that they liked, so the "created" one. It also has some interesting viscosity ranges: 0w5, 5w25 are the two I was referring to.

www.joegibbsracingoil.com is the main website, whereas www.pitstopusa.com has better pricing and more specific viscosity information on it.

Have at this one...

I spoke with a distributor about this oil. It's custom made by Lubrizol. Probably loaded with ZDDP and absolutely a huge waste of money for daily drivers, even cars like Corvettes. If you have been around awhile you'll see that OTC SM oils are excellent and offer as good of protection as anyone would need. Now if your pushing 600HP out of a LS1 etc., then I would look to a SL rated oil.
smile.gif
This oil is much like the M1R 0w-5 and 0w-20 custom made by XOM for NASCAR/F1 teams.

Considering a professional NASCAR or NHRA drag racing engine alone is worth around $50,000 and the R&D for that said engine is probably triple that, $119 for oil is like $.10 to you and I.

I wasnt talking about nascar vehicles. I was talking about our daily beaters. its a waste to spend that on an oil in your car or truck.

If I ran a racing program, I'd like to be closer to the guys blending the product, than to buy from a marketing group like Joe Gibbs Racing. When you are getting up to those prices, I'd like to be able to talk to those doing the blending to make sure I understand what's going on. There's more to racing oil than pouring it into the oil tank.

As for street use, there might be a lot of better choices for less money.

Secret--

All engines from JMC Motorsports/John's Mustangs & Classics (for you Ford guys) use Royal Purple in some form or another, depending on what specs and uses the engine was built for.

Cat's out of the bag!! hehe

PS-- Don't tell John :)

Larry- Gibbs has been successful in everything he has done from football to motorsports. He knows how to cover his end and has made others look like fools in the process. His name and reputaton are on the line here, so the oil he's selling is going to be first rate. I'm more than sure his top engine builders are best friends with the oil engineers designing the oil that gets run in their engines so the best of the best is flowing through those engines. The oil he's selling is very likely the same oil that gets run in his engines, so using it in your own race engine shouldn't be a problem.

Ok, buster, I agree with you for once on this one. Just got off of the phone, and it does lack in the detergency department of the additive package. Other than that, it is a very "proprietary" formulation, such as they can't even tell me basestock compilation.

Now this was from a local dealer, the company itself has yet to return my call for any further information, but with no detergent package to speak of, I really don't need that phone call returned.

Chalk one expensive botique oil off of my list (only 999 more to go!!!)

quote:

If this lubricant does lack some in the detergent department, couldn't you use good 'ole VSOT or SX-UP to beef up the particulates that are missing and/or lacking?

SX-UP will supplement but not VSOT.

But hey guys, this does say racing oil, not daily driver oil!

My info is that it is a blend with mostly GroupIII oils, and the specs on their 5W30 actualy makes it a 5W20.

See this thread as well:

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=39;t=000077

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back