0w60 oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patman

Staff member
At the detail shop I go to, one of the guys is into motorcycles and he tells me one of the motorcycle oils is a 0w60! I thought that viscosity was simply not possible to achieve?

Doesn't the 0W refer more to the cold wear properties of the oil than to just the viscosity?

I see plenty of references to it on the google search ..but no sites selling it. Most of them are German/Euro message boards. One says that it can be had from BMW
confused.gif
A few 5w-60 and Castrol has a 10w-60.

quote:

Doesn't the 0W refer more to the cold wear properties of the oil than to just the viscosity?

No, it refers to two specific viscosities at two low temp points. In the case of a 0wXX oils, those points are -30c and -35c.

LT4 Vette, I'm not sure what you mean, the guy is telling the truth, there are 0w60 oils. Also, he's a very smart guy, even though he's working in a detail shop, I've had some extremely intelligent conversations with him.

0w60 weight is also mentioned on that wonderful Synlube site, and that NASA pays upwards of $100 per liter for the stuff. I also have searched and searched and no one seems to offer an actual 0w60 that is available in the USA. The closest that I'm come to it are these two:

www.sentinelsynthetic.com/english/index.htm

www.topoil.com/products.htm

One offers an actual 5w60, and the other a 10w60. The only thing that scares me from these apparently very good, covers all the bases viscosity is the cSt @ 40*C. They just seem way too thick for my climate at start up, particularly with winter setting in.

0W-60 oil is the only oil you are allowed to put in your Ferrari Enzo and have a warrentee. At around $60/quart (shell) it is hiddeously expensive.

Sorry Mitch, but even I, the botique oil king of this forum, must draw the line at $15 per liter in cost!!!

Ferrari can keep there warrantied oil specifications for themselves...
tongue.gif

For the 2001-2006 M3's (S54 engine), the Castrol 10w60 is the required oil as well as in 2000 M5/Z8 with the S62 and in the new V10 M5/M6.

Originally Posted By: windnsea00
For the 2001-2006 M3's (S54 engine), the Castrol 10w60 is the required oil as well as in 2000 M5/Z8 with the S62 and in the new V10 M5/M6.

If there is a 0W-60 readily available, I wouldn't mind putting it in my M3.

doesn't seem very shear-stable
crazy2.gif

Even Castrol's 10w60 shears down to a 50 almost immediately in service, and could even be a 40 by the end of a (standard mfr-spec) OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back