My laptop won't boot normally with memory upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I upgraded the memory of my Dell C840 running Windows XP SP3 from 512 MB to 2 GB (http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Dell-Latitude-C640-C840-1GB-RAM-Memory-Module_W0QQitemZ140336780867QQcategoryZ11172QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp2773.m263QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DSIC%26itu%3DUCI%252BIA%252BUA%252BFICS%252BUFI%252BDDSIC%26otn%3D12%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D54) yesterday. The laptop would only boot up in safe mode while recognizing the new memory, but would either hung or crash under normal boot.

Does anyone know how to fix this problem? I hope to make it work instead of return the memory for refund.

Thanks,

Simon

Most likely the memory is the problem. Try running a test on it using Dell Diagnostics or MemTest 86+ which is free and you can make a boot able Disk or CD and test your memory.

You could also claim the memory was damaged during shipping if it was shipped to you insured and the seller claims it was fine when it left his house/business.

Oh... Also try swapping any memory modules you had in there already around with the new memory. I have seen it on rare occasions be fussy with the order of the modules. (Highly unlikely) but it does happen.

Last edited:
Remove the module and boot the laptop, if it goes to safemode, do a shutdown and reboot. if it wants you to goto safemode, select regular bootup. If windows boots normal and all seems fine. shut down and put module back in. if safemode wants to boot instead, you have a bad module. It happens more often than not.

could be a timing or voltage issue too. considering that the listing specifically mentions -

"Fastest Memory Available For DELL Latitude Laptops!

Why Upgrade With Cheap Slower Memory!"

but that involves digging into the bios and depends on how comfortable you are doing that.

According to their listing description,"Your Dell Latitude C640/C840 only supports up to 1 gigabyte of memory with regular memory chips but thanks to our special design ultra low density memory modules you can now run up to 2 gigabytes of memory in your C640 and C840 latitude."

Maybe this is the root of the problem?

The Dell hardware spec for C840 only allows max of 1 GB memory. I saw someone selling a used Dell C840 laptop with 2 GB memory on the craigslis the other day. That was why I bought the 2 GB memory and tried them on my own C840. I am not sure how that seller made it work on his laptop.

I look at the eBay description a bit closer this time which recommends for Vista upgrade. Crampping 2 GB memory means upgrading XP to Vista, right? If this is the way to go, I might as well skip Vista and go directly to Windows 7 instead. Can I upgrad XP Professional with SP3 to Windows 7?

I did a self diagnostic check on the laptop, and the 2 GB memory passed the check. Since the laptop recognized the 2GB memory under safe mode, won't you think the memory sticks are good? I put back the original 512 MB memory and the laptop boot fine.

Thanks,

Simon

Last edited:
Dell diagnostics and Memtest 86+ are not the same type of testing as "Self Diagnostics". Running a vigours test program like those I mentioned earlier will rule out all kinds of issues that might otherwise be missed by "Self Diagnostics"

The easiest way to test it is to pull it out and see if the computer operates normally again.

I suspect the memory is just not compatible with the laptop if it runs normally with just the old memory installed. When I have these types of problems, I generally download one of those bootable diagnostic CDs that has a memory tester on it.

Also, check with Dell to see if there is a bios upgrade for the laptop that specifically deals with the memory limit or memory timing. My understanding is that the C840 has only 2 memory slots and that each can support a maximum of 512mb...giving you a total of only 1GB.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
According to their listing description,"Your Dell Latitude C640/C840 only supports up to 1 gigabyte of memory with regular memory chips but thanks to our special design ultra low density memory modules you can now run up to 2 gigabytes of memory in your C640 and C840 latitude."

Maybe this is the root of the problem?

good catch. But I wonder how would it be possible to do such a thing ? "ultra low density" to run more than the hardware can handle ??

good suggestion about the bios upgrade though. sometimes a newer bios release may help overcome this limitation.
but again, not something for the faint of heart.

Last edited:
Go to the crucial.com website, and see what the computer really takes for maximum memory.

If you have the correct memory, then test it with a bootable cd with a memory test suite on it.

Hi,

Thanks to all for your advices.

After installing the latest BIOS version A13 and re-installing the 2 GB memory I am able to successfully boot up the laptop in normal mode. It is amazing how fast the laptop boot up now. The performance is greately improved with the memory upgrade.

Simon

thumbsup2.gif
cool

Originally Posted By: sifan
Hi,

Thanks to all for your advices.

After installing the latest BIOS version A13 and re-installing the 2 GB memory I am able to successfully boot up the laptop in normal mode. It is amazing how fast the laptop boot up now. The performance is greately improved with the memory upgrade.

Simon

Great. Sometimes a bios update is all it takes when the original limit is a software decision rather than a result of the chipset/hardware design. Now you've got enough memory to run Emacs. :)

Bad news. My joy was short lived. The memory upgrade only worked after the first reboot with new BIOS installed. Subsequent reboot caused the OS to hang or crash as before. I mailed the memory back to the vendor for refund this morning. =( I think I will stick to the factory recommened 1 GB memory upgrade this time. For web browsing and DVD playing 1 GB memory should be sufficient. How I wish the 2 GB memory would work because the laptop's performance was amazingly fast.

Simon

No, that doesn't explain it.

Grab the ultimate boot CD and run memtest. If it gives you errors, remove your stock stick and JUST leave the new stick in to test it by itself.

If it passes then it is likely a bank timing difference between the two DIMM's and I am almost 100% sure you won't have ANY control over those settings in the BIOS.

The others have it right. The system post is not a sufficient test. Run memtest or microsoft's memory test, both of which are free, overnight.

While I'm not familiar with this Dell, I would also double-check the chipset and build specs. Some chipset/memory controllers (particularly Intels) have a hard memory ceiling, and there's no magic way around it. If Crucial says 1GB max, I'd trust them over the magic ram seller.

ECC should run fine in most unbuffered environments. You're just wasting money on extra chips, but it shouldn't cause crashes.

I do appreciate the value of laying in the ram. I just maxed out our old T42 at 2GB, and it runs just dandy. Gonna try W7 on it next month.

I bought the 1GB memory kit from Crucial and installed it tonight. The laptop boot up normally right away. No more guess work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back