Sepentine Belt: Gates v. Goodyear v. Dayco

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is that Gates aftermarket and Gates OE are two completely different things. A company may produce higher quality components for their OE customers than for their aftermarket customers.

Gates 100% all the way. My boats use Gates engineered belts as does my Harley. All last years longer than Goodyear (Veyance) or Dayco.

On my daughter's 99 Ford Ranger, for some reason I could not install the Dayco belt -- the listed model was too short.

I returned it and went to a Gates that slipped right on.

I think Dayco over-consolidated their line.

That said, I have Dayco belts on hand to put on my 89 Crown Victoria whenever I get around to it -- to replace the elderly Gatorbacks that are on it. They don't show any signs of distress though. I got the Daycos with an order from Rockauto because they were on sale.

I cannot tell if it is slipping or a steering pump noise, but my aging goodyear gatorback seems to be noisy, especially just off throttle and during steering the big tires on my truck.

Ill change to the gates I have in my garage and report back as soon as I can.

Originally Posted By: John_K
Originally Posted By: The Critic
OE belts last the longest.

Apparently you've never owned a Dodge!

John

I replaced a water pump on my uncle's '91 Grand Voyager a few years ago. It had over 150,000 miles on the original serpentine belt.

Another vote for Gates, I have used all the ones mentioned and Gates is by far the best of the three IMO.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I cannot tell if it is slipping or a steering pump noise, but my aging goodyear gatorback seems to be noisy, especially just off throttle and during steering the big tires on my truck.

Ill change to the gates I have in my garage and report back as soon as I can.

To me, the gatorback has a whine much like a supercharger.

Just replaced the original GM Belt on GF's 02 Cavalier. 90k on it and it looked great. Replaced it with a Dayco. I hope it lasts atleast the same as the OE.

I like Gatorbacks or gates on GM cars and trucks. Very quiet and seem to last a long time. In Toyotas, I only use OEM. Have 75K on my Tacoma and the belt is flawless.

The GM belts leave alot to be desired. I have had several on the LS motors start to make noise at 40-50K. That's unacceptable to me. Each car is different though, so good to hear they are working for you.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jason2007
Just replaced the original GM Belt on GF's 02 Cavalier. 90k on it and it looked great. Replaced it with a Dayco. I hope it lasts atleast the same as the OE.
Most of the ACDelco belts I see are really Dayco belts with ACDelco written on them.

I'm sure they will last equally as long if the new belt had continuous ribs.

Some new Dayco belts have Goodyear Gatorback style ribs, and I don't know how much life I can expect from them.

The AC Delco aftermarket belts are made by Gates. Dayco supplies the majority of the OE Belts for Toyota. Goodyear no longer has OE belt business. Dayco now has an aftermarket belt with what they call a "W" rib Poly Rib belt that replaced the Poly Cog which is the belt that looked a lot like the Gatorback. This new W belt is supposed to conform to high mileage worn belt drives with slight misalignments. This W belt works very well.
OE belts are good but the truth is, they are designed for a perfect drive with NO miles on it. Today's belts are being replaced at 90K miles and they are far from perfect. Aftermarket branded belts are designed and expected to do more.

BeltGuy,

welcome2.gif

It's common knowledge here that often, if you buy a branded aftermarket part (i.e. Motorcraft), it is not the same as OEM Motorcraft.

Quote:
Aftermarket branded belts are designed and expected to do more.

Two questions:

1. Are you saying that aftermarket belts are actually built to different specs./dimensions to fit worn sheaves? What happens if you have to replace a belt on a "newer" car with unworn sheaves.

2. If we buy a belt at a dealer (Toyota, Ford) is it a factory type OEM spec. belt or an aftermarket spec. belt.

Could you tell us how you know this stuff is true?

Hmmmmmm...I notice on your profile you are in marketing and from Tulsa, the home of Dayco USA.......

Thanks!

Last edited:
I'm currently using Dayco Belts on my Aerostar and Gates on the E-150. IMO Gates is a better belt. They weren't available locally for the Aerostar or I would have used the Gates belts on that too.

I replaced my OEM with a Gatorback recently. I have no idea how to determine if it's better. It seems to be working fine. I did not notice any extra noise or anything. I did notice that it cost more than the other options at Autozone (Duralast and Valucraft).

what is a good mileage to change the belt? or do you just wait for it to start making noises?

Originally Posted By: crinkles
what is a good mileage to change the belt? or do you just wait for it to start making noises?

Mileage is unpredictable. I have seen some belts squeal at 30,000 miles and others last 180,000.

If a belt squeels, replace it.

If you can see cracks in the ribs of the belt, replace it, even if it doesn't squeel. Many times a belt with cracks in it will tear apart and leave you stranded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back