Castrol GTX Good? Bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ive been reading many posts here and elsewhere about GTX. Many state its have lost GM approval. Some say they got it back. Some say its great, some say its awful. Any information on the current status of GTX? I'm contemplating moving back to conventional oil strictly because of economics. Its alot cheaper.

It's one of the best conventional oils going. Stays in grade very, very well. Use it w/o worry if you can get a good price on it....

I moved back to conventional oil myself...I went with Pennzoil...but before my 8yr stent on Mobil-1, I was a 9yr user of GTX...I'd say the mail reson I did not go back to GTX is because partly this board has me convinced that Pennzoil is the best and the other reason is that GTX is one of the most expensive conventioanl oils.

IS GTX better than Pennzoil? I am not sure, but I had good luck with GTX when I did use it before...I'd still be using it except for the convincing arguments that Pennzoil seems to be the best conventional oil...thx Johnny LOL

It will sieze up your engine instantly.

Just kidding. GTX is a very good oil. Which GM spec's did it lose? I thought it still met the GM6094?

Good oil, and I'm not a Castrol fan.
grin2.gif

Castrol GTX is a great oil. I have been using it for a year with my 2004 Hyundai Elantra, with SuperTech oil filter. Works great together!

A co-worker of mine has run it for years in his 94 Saturn. The odometer stopped working about 8 years ago at 180000 miles or so. He drives out and back to work about 80 miles a day. He must be coming close to 350,000 miles at least on that thing. He has never had the engine opened. Castrol GTX must have something going for it.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Great oil... Too much for it though... Pennzoil is the same protection at a really great price.
wink.gif

He posts again!!!!

Yes I'm back... I will take the licks for it...

It was the overwhelming response by e-mail and PM of my apparent fan-base that brought me back.

GTX is a good oil! It bothers me that they charge more than other brands. I used it on several new cars for the first OCI before going to synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Nickdfresh

Just kidding. GTX is a very good oil. Which GM spec's did it lose? I thought it still met the GM6094?

I read somewhere that it lost the GM6094M spec. It did get approval again, though. I'm really leary choosing an oil that meets a spec, doesn't meet a spec. Maybe there is something going on we don't know about. Are they messing with the formulation? "watering down" the add pack to enhance their bottom line? Are they doing what alot of companies do and cut corners hoping their good name carries them? Just makes me wonder.

I've Used 5w-30 GTX exclusively since new in my 2005 Subaru Forseter,4000-4500-OCI,69000 miles and has done great.A friend used it in his 2002 Accent since new and when he traded it in last year it had 130000 miles and still ran great and didn't use any oil.I bought mine @ AAP for $10.99 gal.Think it still may be on sale.

I am using GTX now in one of my engines, and have used it before.
Seems just fine.
It is usually a little on the spendy side, compared to PYB, for example, but you can sometimes find a deal.
From what I have been able to research (and Castrol's PDSs tend to leave a lot to the imagination), GTX tends to be on the thick side for any given viscosity range.
Not a good thing or a bad thing.
Horses for courses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back