Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 vs Mobil 1 75W-140

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which one of these Gear oils do you guys think would provide the best differential protection when towing heavy, Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 or Mobil 1 75W-140?
The differential I'm going to use one of these in is a Dana 80 in a 1998 Cummins Dodge.
Thanks

I'd say you would be OK with either choice. I'd go with whichever one is cheaper or more convenient to purchase.

IMO and after my experience with Mobil 1 75-90W gear lube I'd say Amsoil without question.

Now with that said, my experience was in a transmission but the Amsoil is a excellent lube along with Schaffers.

Bill

Which ever is local and cheaper! People may be too young with reguard to synthetic usuage but year ago like in the late 1980's and early 1990's Amsoils name was mud when it came to gear lubes! Lot of un happy 4X4'er that swore off all synthetics because some of their early gear oils sucked! I hear that they no longer have any of those early issues and that they are making a great product but past failures stick in my mind for a while!

I have never had M1 gear lube ever fail me under any conditions so I am partial to M1.

Scahhers used to make a gear lube that looked black and that was some really good gear lube I do not recall the number but I am sure the sponsor knows what I am talking about.

Redline and Motule gear oils work great! Cen-Peco gear lubricants and Swepco work great as well. If it where me I would probably give our Scahffer's Sponsor a call and see what type of price he can make you on that Black gear oil they used to sell. It is great stuff but not synthetic.

My second choice would would be M1 140 wt.!

John I suppose you have some data to back-up your "stuff". Probably not, but you really should provide proof rather than just drop a load and run off. Some few newbies take your word because of your long posts, but the sharper guys ask for data and the long time guys just chuckle.

There really is no comparison, Amsoil Severe Gear oils are superior to M1 gear oils.

Amsoil White Paper on gear oil

Originally Posted By: Pablo
John I suppose you have some data to back-up your "stuff". Probably not, but you really should provide proof rather than just drop a load and run off. Some few newbies take your word because of your long posts, but the sharper guys ask for data and the long time guys just chuckle.

There really is no comparison, Amsoil Severe Gear oils are superior to M1 gear oils.

Amsoil White Paper on gear oil

Is there one that covers the 140 weights in the topic?

Originally Posted By: AFmedic
Now if John said said Amsoil it wouldn't be an issue

Actually it would be - show us the facts! Show me the money!!
48.gif
49.gif

Coin toss. For regular maintenance intervals, it won't make a difference.

I think the more important thing would be a diff cover. A pint-quart of additional gear-oil capacity, along with a usually stronger/stiffer cover(adds diff rigidity).... are what you should be thinking about.

Amsoil shows superior numbers in tests.

However, just how good does the oil need to be? I see 300,000 mile rear axles with perfectly good gears and bearings if the oil was changed once.

Originally Posted By: OVERK1LL
Originally Posted By: INDYMAC
I thought Mobil Delvac gear oil was Mobil's flagship lubricant. Why would anyone consider Mobil 1 gear oil for high load purposes when they can get Delvac?

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/P...-90_80W-140.asp

True enough. I think the issue with Delvac products is that they are more difficult to obtain.

I didn't know about Delvac Synthetic gear oil but i'm glad you mentioned it. Now that you bought it up I looked into it.
The distributors closest to me don't stock it but can get it quickly.
The smallest container it comes in is 5 gal pail for $150.00 which is fine, I have a hand pump/lid that fits 5 gallon pails. I'm not a Gear oil expert but looking at the data sheet it looks like a very good gear oil. It also appears to be thicker than 75W-140 synthetic gear oils, especially cold.

Cost is the secondary issue but here is the breakdown:

Delvac Synthetic 80W-140 @ $7.50 qt
Mobil 1 Synthetic 75W-140 @ $16.99 qt
Amsoil Severe Gear 75W-140 @11.90 qt

I've just about decided to go with Delvac, any thoughts on this?
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back