Can Fuel Line Hose be used as AT Oil Cooler Hose?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The guy at the PartSource (equivalent to Autozone type place in the US) told me that they sell the regular fuel line hose all the time for tranny oil hose. So he sold me a piece because they didn't have the SAEJ189 anymore.

Is it safe to use this stuff? Note that this is not the injector hose, just standard fuel line hose.

a lot of trans shops will use fuel line because it is less expensive than trans hose. It will work, it just may not last as long when using it for trans hose. Trans hose IS better and does last longer.

+1 on what Johnny said. Yes, you can install cheap fuel hose, and it WILL work... but the question is, 'for how long?'. Transmission cooler hose is noticeably thicker and stiffer, and you can safely assume that the type of rubber used will work long-term with atf.

I don't know if that's a safe assumption with fuel hose. The last thing you want is for this hose to blow and dump all your ATF.

I've used power steering return hose on transmission coolers in the past- works great. It's heavier still than tranny cooler hose.

Personally I don't put ANY stock in the advice that you'll get from a parts man... ESPECIALLY at places like Autozone. Those guys are only half a step above burger flippers.

OK Thanks guys. It's a JY tranny that i'm only using for a yr until next summer when I overhaul my original tranny which is outside the car to do. So it should last a yr I would expect, then for my 'new' rebuilt tranny i'll get the proper hose next summer.

Last time I was at Autozone and asked for a peice of "transmission cooler hose" I got a peice of Goodyear "fuel/emissions" hose...

Originally Posted By: 1993_VG30E_GXE
OK Thanks guys. It's a JY tranny that i'm only using for a yr until next summer when I overhaul my original tranny which is outside the car to do. So it should last a yr I would expect, then for my 'new' rebuilt tranny i'll get the proper hose next summer.

I want to make sure I understand you correctly: You mean to run cheapass fuel hose out to an aftermarket tranny cooler (in addition to your OEM cooler), while running that junkyard transmission. Is that correct?

'Cause if that's the case, then you'd be better off just sticking with the OEM cooler. Whatever marginal benefit you'd gain from that aftermarket cooler (in terms of reliability & durability) will be more than negated by the significant chance of that incorrect hose blowing, dumping your atf, and destroying the tranny and/or burning down the car.

IMO, this is a situation where you should either do it right or not do it at all. Doing it WRONG will only cause you more trouble.

No i'm confused Onion. The situation is:

I have 2 trannies of the same model. My original Tranny I removed and i'm putting in a JY tranny. The cooling system for both trannies is just the OEM radiator, one hose feeds, the other hose returns back to the tranny.

The original hoses were the wrong size, for over a yr I was using 3/8" hose on 5/16" barbs,I clamped it tight enough that it didn't leak. Now I may as well use the correct 5/16" hose and they gave me the Fuel Hose instead of SAEJ189

SAE J189 is a low pressure power steering hose spec (I think)

# Temperature Range -40°C to +120°C per SAE J189
# Working pressure: 250 PSI with end forms, max 100 PSI with user applied clamps

What SAE spec is on the fuel line?

Beleive it or not there is no SAE spec on it. It says:

ATLAS AUTO ACCESSORIES FUEL LINE HOSE 5/16" 2Q2008

And the injector hose says:

ATLAS AUTO ACCESSORIES FUEL INJECTOR HOSE 5/16" DIN 73379 2A 2Q2007

That's a Euro spec ..or rather "the rest of the world" spec.

OIL- AND PETROL HOSE
FUELHOSE NAFTREX/B- SERIE 3370

Description: Fuelhose acc. German norm DIN 73379 Type NAFTREX/B.

Application and temperature range specifications:

Fuel with max. aromatic content 50% + 40°C
High grade fuels + 40°C
Diesel fuels + 80°C
Cooling liquids (glycols, glysantine a.o.) + 90°C
Water + 90°C
Air + 80°C
Liquid detergents, non-oxydating + 80°C
Coldresistant till - 40°C
Maximum peak-temperature +120°C
Norm: DIN 73379.

Working pressure: 15 bar.

Burst pressure: 60 bar.

Tube: NBR, black, smooth.

Cover: With black textile braids for heat-protection.
Quote:
Anyone know what the approx. PSI operating pressure the AT Oil Cooler lines run at, to and from the radiator?

It varies due to visc ..but there are usually limits. There's regulation for the max pressure. I doubt it peaks over 50lb+/- some fudge factor for temp. I did see 30lb in neutral with a temporarily installed hydraulic filter with a gauge. The rpm was around 2800 at the time I observed the 30lb.

There is no way to trump the working pressure rating of the hose ..if that's what your asking. The rad cooler would probably fail before you could reach the spec'd limits on the hose.

Pressure wise the hose will be fine. Over time the hose will get soft and mushy. I have this hapoen to me. It never leaked thou but that mistake was never done again

I agree with GA here, now that he's looked up the spec. I had a pressure gauge on my 4T60e tranny cooler lines years ago- just to make sure that my add-on filter would stand up to it. The pressure was pretty similar to engine oil pressure: around 25 at idle and maybe 55 when the engine is revved up. So seeings how that hose has a working pressure of 15 bar (roughly 220psi), it should be fine from a pressure standpoint.

I would be concerned, though, with how compatible the rubber is with ATF- seeigs how it isn't listed in the spec. I would THINK that if the hose could withstand both gasoline and diesel fuel... then it should be ok with ATF. But that's only a guess.

I'll have to revise my opinion here now that new info has come to light. In your situation, I would go ahead and install that hose... then just keep and eye on it. Make sure it doesn't turn hard or squishy.

Fuel/emission hose, standard pressure should have (if I remember correctly) an SAE spec of 30R6 and Fuel injection line should be 30R9 spec. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong on the SAE numbers. P/S & ATF (J189)hydraulic hose should only be used for cooler hose, fuel line won't hold up reliably.

Originally Posted By: onion
I agree with GA here, now that he's looked up the spec. I had a pressure gauge on my 4T60e tranny cooler lines years ago- just to make sure that my add-on filter would stand up to it. The pressure was pretty similar to engine oil pressure: around 25 at idle and maybe 55 when the engine is revved up. So seeings how that hose has a working pressure of 15 bar (roughly 220psi), it should be fine from a pressure standpoint.

I would be concerned, though, with how compatible the rubber is with ATF- seeigs how it isn't listed in the spec. I would THINK that if the hose could withstand both gasoline and diesel fuel... then it should be ok with ATF. But that's only a guess.

I'll have to revise my opinion here now that new info has come to light. In your situation, I would go ahead and install that hose... then just keep and eye on it. Make sure it doesn't turn hard or squishy.

That's exactly my stance on it.

FWIW, I've been running Goodyear fuel injection hose for the TL's cooler for 2.5 years and no issues. I check it whenever the hood is up, especially at the ends to check for mushiness. Originally I was going to make steel lines and did the rubber as a temporary alternative and 2.5 years later I still haven't gotten around to it. It does seem to be in excellent shape.

I also use the "fuel injection" clamps that apply equal pressure around the hose and seem to have a little more force. I double them up on every end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back