Sepentine Belt: Gates v. Goodyear v. Dayco

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking to change my belt. Is there a preference of one brand over others? Gates has the conventional design and Goodyear and Dayco have to cogged back design. Is there any thing to the cogged design or just snake oil?

If you need it the cogged design does help with belt slippage. Otherwise it just wears faster and makes the engine louder. On my car it hits 2nd gear so hard and fast the belt slips on the alternator without it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
I am looking to change my belt. Is there a preference of one brand over others? Gates has the conventional design and Goodyear and Dayco have to cogged back design. Is there any thing to the cogged design or just snake oil?

I endorse the Goodyear.. Had mine for what seems like forever now and it still looks good.

OE belts last the longest.

On your Camry, there is an updated hydraulic tensioner available. At your mileage, I was consider replacing the tensioner with the belt.

I have been using GoodYear Gatorback belts for over 12 years, I have never had an issue. They are the only timing belt I will put on my 4AFE Toyota Engines. I even use them in Lawn and Garden apps. You cant beat them

Gates or Dayco IMO. Many OEM products are also made by those two.

The Goodyear gatorback design seems a bit noiser than the Dayco poly-cog style. A Gates usually has a flocking like material between the ribs that I assume serves the same purpose.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
On my Honda I will stick with OEM...

and who makes them for honda?
48.gif

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
How do these hydraulic tensioner work? I thought it is spring loaded?

Never mind,
http://www.gates.com/europe/file_display_common.cfm?thispath=Europe%2Fdocuments_module&file=TB%20011_E2_Hydraulic_Tensioners.pdf

I had my headgaket doen few weeks ago. I have a 95 plymouth neon. researching over on the neons.org forums, i discovered the mechanics their all recommended NAPA gates* becasue its like 300% stronger than OEM belts! they all said OEM belts arnt really worht it, theyve been know too not last as long.
Ive used autozones gatorbacks and liked them. they lasted and held up well, according to my mechanic. hope this info helps!

Dayco belts suck IMO. I use gates and never have any problems or comebacks.
I put a dayco belt with a new tensioner my 91 gmc van and it started squeaking after about a month. Replaced it with gates belt and it was good for years.
I have never used a goodyear serpentine belt

Honda uses Gates/Unitta timing belts and Bando or Mitsuboshi serpentine belts.

Toyota OTOH uses Dayco or Goodyear on their US-made vehicles - but the t-belts are still Mitsuboshi.

I like Gates or Goodyear, while I prefer not to use Dayco. Too bad the local parts house switched over to Dayco when Kragen switched over to Goodyear - and they charge more than the Pep Girls...

Last edited:
I take the Good Year Gatorback so far no complaints. Solid belt and doesn't stretch after high mileage.

I've used nothing but Gates belts for years. I wouldn't use anything else.

Many people I've dealt with claim the Goodyear gatorback serpentine belts slip because of the split cogs.
I've never had an issue with my gatorback belts, and they last me around 50k. I've used Dayco before, they work well, no complaints against them, however to me they're too stiff.
I like the Gates belts, and Gates is the OE supplier to many manufacturers, including AC Delco and Napa.
Weirdly enough, my Saturn Relay has a mitsuboshi belt on it, and while it looks fragile, it seems to still be working. continental is OE to many import mfgr's as well.
I'm not a huge fan of continental timing belts, I've heard of them stretching overtime when they aren't supposed to.

the gates belts are supposed to be heavily nitrile soaked and are supposed to be extremely durable. I personally find them to be a bit to flexible, but I have yet to see any fail due to manufacturing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back