Some Filtration Comparisons from the Bench

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: daman
... anyway very nice man looks like the P1 is still a great performer ...

This is why I don't doubt the beta ratios claimed for the PureONE. This home test shows it's a high end performing filter. Thanks for the effort on this river rat!
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: river_rat

The way I do this is to carefully cut the filter elements out of the cans without damaging them. Some elements are open at both ends, and I seal these tight at the end that goes toward the dome of the canister--away from the threaded end.

I was curious if you sealed up any of the bypass valves mounted on the dome end of the element to ensure there was no leakage through the bypass valve during the test.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
... anyway very nice man looks like the P1 is still a great performer ...

This is why I don't doubt the beta ratios claimed for the PureONE. This home test shows it's a high end performing filter. Thanks for the effort on this river rat!
thumbsup2.gif

I don't doubt the beta ratios either!,id like to see some synthetic filters tested
20.gif

You're welcome guys. I'll get to as many as I can eventually.
A buddy just gave me a Mann and a Mahle to test. I'll try to do those this week.

I was curious if you sealed up any of the bypass valves mounted on the dome end of the element to ensure there was no leakage through the bypass valve during the test.

If I can't make it leak, I do not seal them.
Frams leak at the cardboard of course, so I siliconed that one. And the Denso I just removerd it and sealed a piece of sheet plastic over the end with silicon.

thumbsup2.gif

Numbers aside, there is no filter I've yet tested that clears up the oil as well in one pass. Period.

The way I do this is to carefully cut the filter elements out of the cans without damaging them. Some elements are open at both ends, and I seal these tight at the end that goes toward the dome of the canister--away from the threaded end.

It might be more helpful in selecting a filter if leaky bypasses were allowed to leak. I never fully trust the metal to metal seals. Less so once they have let some unfiltered oil through.

Originally Posted By: labman
It might be more helpful in selecting a filter if leaky bypasses were allowed to leak. I never fully trust the metal to metal seals. Less so once they have let some unfiltered oil through.

True. I agee. But that is a separate test IMO for what I'm doing here.
Of these filters I cut open, only the Fram had a leaky bypass and I felt that it would let so much through that it would immediately be disgualified before I could look at the media alone. I wanted to look at the media because it has a published efficiency--even though it was vague by saying 95% at >20 microns. That way I could get a visual comparison of what that efficiency looks like.
(The reason I took the Denso bypass off and plugged it was that it was just easier. It didn't leak for me.)

PM me your adress Rob i'll send you a AC UPF-52.
thumbsup2.gif

Awesome!

Originally Posted By: Ndx
So whats going on with K&N ?

Well, I would summarize it by saying that:

1. a lot of folks who have filters mounted in any but threaded-end-up have complained that the anti-drainback valves on the K&N and Mobil 1 filters have let oil leak out overnight and cause noisy start-ups. Although I have not experienced this myself.

2. They are a pricey filter similar to the M1, but don't seems to have the same media. This test does not show better than fair in the fine filtration results, whereas the M1 and some other premium filters were in the excellent category. (My opinions.)

3. They do have a very sturdy construction.

4. Since there was a flukey result on the second K&N talc filtration test, I would like to re-test with a new K&N filter.

Maybe I will show a little more care dissembling filters and test the bypass after use. The dome end ones, you could pour a little oil on top and see if it leaks through.

thumbsup2.gif

Awesome!

Rob that UPF filter is on it's way!!!!

Cool. Thanks, Dan

Originally Posted By: labman
Maybe I will show a little more care dissembling filters and test the bypass after use. The dome end ones, you could pour a little oil on top and see if it leaks through.

Ya. It would be good to test them after they been in use. That's a great idea. They could get crud stuck in the gap.

I'm in process of retesting the K&N with an HP-2004 this time. I don't fully trust the results with the one before. Might have got a defective one since it filtered fair at first, then practically no oil cleaning on the second try. Wierd.

thumbsup2.gif

Awesome!

If you are handing out UPF filters I'll take one...lol I'd even cut it open and post pics after using it.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
thumbsup2.gif

Awesome!

If you are handing out UPF filters I'll take one...lol I'd even cut it open and post pics after using it.

Well it's for testing purposes or i would not be giving one away lol, but i have two cases and access to more and want to know how they perform and if there worth the extra coin,i think there a great filter that will do well.

someone send RiverRat a RP to test!!!!!!

Well it's for testing purposes or i would not be giving one away lol, but i have two cases and access to more and want to know how they perform and if there worth the extra coin,i think there a great filter that will do well.

When the ACDelco UPF series filters came out, they were advertised (by ACDelco of course) as very efficient filters that also had very good flow characteristics.

When the ACDelco UPF series filters came out, they were advertised (by ACDelco of course) as very efficient filters that also had very good flow characteristics.

Yup i remember,suppose to flow well,i run them on my Z71 with 10w30HM all winter and no problems with ticking or anything,great filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back