Do-It-yourself Undercoating for winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oil works, but requires constant application. And it makes it tough for any paint or sealer later to stick properly. Drips from constant application will get all over the ground - it probably will be a concern for you.
There are all sorts of products a do it yourselfer can spray or brush on.
It's best to scrape, wire brush, and sand the rust until you get sick of it. [A perfect surface is not necessary.] Plain Rustoleum is very good - spray or brush. So are a dozen spray undercoatings.
Sure, touching up every year is going to be required, but it is much better than oil.

IMO stay with the spray oils mentioned. Fluid Film and Amsoil HD Metal Protector. Canada is big in regards to the oil spray protuction for cars and if anyone should know it would be eastern Canada. Do a search on this as there's a thread on this about a month ago.

BTW the dripping only lasts for 3 days, I know as I had my car Rust Checked 6 weeks ago.

Don't know oil seems to be sticking good on the Ranger.. we'll see how it stays on though. Applying once a year with old oil before winter would probably be good enough to stop most rust. I'm going to find a spray gun versus the brush alot easier to get in the tight spots.

The reason oil spray is so popular in Canada, is because it creeps, and because it creeps it works, if it didn't work we would be the first ones to drop it, trust me. Your rustproofing is only as good as your application process, and if you use thick stuff or brush it on, you can leave some areas unprotected, which will make the whole process worthless.

The oil on the other hand will creep for a few days into areas that may not have been treated otherwise and that's why it drips.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I hope you're joking.

In WW2 Canadian troops proved time and time again that they are amongst the best in the world in many different theaters.

US military is not all strong and mighty as many think, having expensive "toys" and cutting edge technology is not everything, and I think Vietnam, Gulf, Irak and Iran is a proof of that.

The reason the US did not win in those countries you mentioned, has nothing to do with strength of the military. The problem was, that all of those wars were fighting against an enemy that would not care about losing 100 men to kill 1 american soldier. They fought and would die for what they believed in, which is what was in effect, the reason they lost.

Originally Posted By: jcwit
Just use a pump up garden sprayer. Works great, its what I used to use.

I was thinking about trying one but wouldn't the oil be too thick for it? In most areas on the Ranger the brush worked, where the brush couldn't get I soaked the brush for a minute and let it drip down. On the Escape it's a unibody so I really need the spray for it.

No the oil sprays real fine with it. I used to get 5 gal. cans of Alox and thin it with paint thinner and spray the underside an inside of door and fender cavities with it. Alox is very similar or maybe the same as what Zeibart uses thats waxy.

Anywho, yes it'll work with a garden sprayer, even the plastic ones.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I hope you're joking.

In WW2 Canadian troops proved time and time again that they are amongst the best in the world in many different theaters.

US military is not all strong and mighty as many think, having expensive "toys" and cutting edge technology is not everything, and I think Vietnam, Gulf, Irak and Iran is a proof of that.

Well yes, I was joking. No need for all to get in a heated discussion about it.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Canadian military? I thought the Canadians were like the kids on the playground that used to watch the fights and hold the fighters coats.

Google youtube Canadian sniper. They currently hold the distance record.

Drove a hour in the rain the oil stayed on pretty good... it's nice to see a actual "black frame". I think I'll get a sprayer and hit with another coat after I get done waxing it next week.

Was at NAPA today and bought a can of the AMSoil MP for $5. Will probably apply when I do the oil change. Thanks for the advice everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back