Who uses ATF in thier Harley Primary?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know why you would want to. Most people I know around hear either running the HD stuff, Bel Ray, or the Amsoil 20w50 motorcycle oil.

Lots of people do. One of the more popular fills actually. You will find a lot of people on the HD sites that can comment. I've been using HDEO 15W40 since it is such a simple application. There is some discussion about Type F vs. Dex / Mercon. Someone has put together a lengthy paper on his thoughts and experiences on the topic of ATF in the primary on a V-twin site. I'll see if I can find it.

hi eagle

he makes alot of sense

i changed from 10w40 to ATF after reading that article MANY times

got some syn atf left over from my auto, i'll try that next

clutch drag is more to do with too much oil in primary than the weight of oil ( in my experience of nearly 18 yrs of owning and maintaining my '92 fatboy )

just my 2 cents worth ...

Originally Posted By: bonnie john
hi eagle

clutch drag is more to do with too much oil in primary than the weight of oil ( in my experience of nearly 18 yrs of owning and maintaining my '92 fatboy )

just my 2 cents worth ...

I feel the same way but wasn't sure I wanted to throw another variable into the question. Clutch drag and finding neutral has a lot to do with fluid level in the primary. And if you read enough posts it becomes clear that some people don't know how to properly fill the primary. So when I read about clutch performance from different people and how from their "seat of the pants" evaluation Brand/type A is better than B I have to take it with a grain of salt unless there is evidence that the level was proper and consistent for the comparison. Inproper level is an easy mistake to make as the Evo and TC visual fill level is different and some people read that it takes xx ounces and they just dump it in without checking for proper level.

All that said, the primary fluid just has to have good wet clutch performance, not damage the stator, and take the heat. ATF is proven effective in this application and is maybe/probably superior to other options. HD Formula + works just fine as well. A lot of people go with alternatives recognizing that for most of us the primary is not a $10/Qt application (that's US $).

I've been using type F in my '97 RoadKing for the past two years without problems...seems to have better engagement.

type F

FORD fluid?

if so, i think it is a more "aggressive shift" fluid

iirc, some of the hd aftermarket clutch manufacturers specify its use

I've used Amsoil universal ATF and even recommended it for a while but I found that I didn't like the feel of the clutch as much as I did with a 10W-30 or 10W-40 M/C oil. I've tried several different fluids for both my HDs and I think I've settled on Amsoil 10W-30 M/C oil for my BT primary. I'm still looking for the perfect fluid for my XL but Formula+ seems to be doing a decent job. My BT has the stock clutch and it likes 10W-30 and 10W-40 M/C oil but I can feel a little difference when I go to 20W-50 - it "feels" like the 20W-50 is thicker than is needed for the clutch and primary chain. As far as the XL, which shares the primary sump with the transmission, when I ran a stock clutch most of the synthetic 75W-90 gear lubes worked fine. Now I have a Rivera racing clutch in there and the clutch is very sensitive to the type of fluid used. That's why I've been experimenting with different lubes. I prefer synth in all sumps but I couldn't find one that worked well with the racing clutch and therefore I'm using Formula+, which seems to work the best with the clutch.

I currently run Rotella 5W-40 but I have a couple of quarts of Type F ATF I'm gonna try.

SOT: I have developed a shaft seal leak from the primary. I'm considering adding an ATF seal conditioner/sweller to the Type F when I change to see if it will stop the leak. Anybody see any harm in doing this?

P.S. It's a 2007 FLHX.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 47HO

SOT: I have developed a shaft seal leak from the primary. I'm considering adding an ATF seal conditioner/sweller to the Type F when I change to see if it will stop the leak. Anybody see any harm in doing this?

P.S. It's a 2007 FLHX.

It won't work. If you are still under warranty I would get it in right away. If not go complain nicely ( with a smile)to your dealer. Mine has done warranty repairs out of warranty on a goodwill basis. Since your bike is not that old the seal should not be leaking so early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back