2000 Camry rack & pinion replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMB

Hello all, need your expert advice on this problem my friend is having.

Car in question is 2000 Toyota Camry CE 4 cylinders with 206,000 miles. The car still has a lot of original parts as far as I know.

The inner tie rods needs to be replaced. We took the car to a mechanic who suggested to replace the rack and pinion as well along with the inner tie rods. My friend flushed the power steering fluid about 50,000 miles ago but used power steering fluid instead of the recommended Dexron ATF.

The labor will be $150 + parts. The rack and pinion is about $168+tax which includes the inner tie rods.

Have a few questions before we order the parts:

1. Is it actually a good idea to replace the rack and pinion as suggested by the mechanic? Compared to my 97, my steering is better than my friend's 2000.
2. If we are going with the repair, what other parts can we replace and/or check while the car is on the lift?

TIA
SMB

1. Is it actually a good idea to replace the rack and pinion as suggested by the mechanic? Compared to my 97, my steering is better than my friend's 2000.
2. If we are going with the repair, what other parts can we replace and/or check while the car is on the lift?

1) Can't quite answer that the rack&pinion doesn't need to be replaces since none of us here can see the rack or drive the car. Sometimes, you can replace the steel steering lines(labor intensive) and your good to go but, if the inner tie rods are part of the unit(and you need inner tie rods anyway) then replace the whole unit. Maybe I'm missunderstanding the rack/inner tie rods question the way you wrote it!

2) Check everything underneath the vehicle. All suspension parts, CV joints, springs/struts, wheel bearings, brakes, leaks, exhaust system, floor boards and rocker pannels for rot and to even see if all of these repairs are worth it.

You often need goofy tools like crows foot wrenches to get the inner tie rods off. Maybe this mechanic doesn't have that tool or the job is outside his comfort zone.

$168 is cheap for a new rack though. This could be one of those jobs where paying more for the parts means less labor which makes it a wash... but you have more new stuff!

thank you all for your answers. yeah i think we will go ahead and change it.

we will get the complete rack and pinion unit and replace it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You often need goofy tools like crows foot wrenches to get the inner tie rods off. Maybe this mechanic doesn't have that tool or the job is outside his comfort zone.

Not sure I would trust a mechanic that does not have full sets of crows foots wrenches or that does not know how to replace an inner tie rod.

I see no reason to replace an entire rack and pinion if it is not leaking Inner tie rods are not a difficult task to do and is done way more often than rack and pinion assemblies. plus u might trade a rack that lasted 206 and counting for sum cheap rebuild that might last 50000 miles.

Borrow the correct tool for the inner tie rods. Many rebuilt racks come with inner tie rods assembled on them - see wht's available and use your best judgment..
Normally, I'd replace the rack when it needs it.
A flush is always a good ideas.

Sometimes A mechanic will insist on replacing a rack at that mileage, because once he gets the tie rod ends off, he may find a leak that hasn't passed the rack boots yet.

That, or because if the rack starts leaking not long afterwords, the mechanic may get blamed for it.

In either case, I doubt a $168 rack is a good idea. I have dealt with way to many comebacks caused by cheaply rebuilt racks.

can anybody recommend a good brand for a rack and pinion?

as usual my friend wants to spend the least amount of money.

Originally Posted By: SMB
can anybody recommend a good brand for a rack and pinion?

as usual my friend wants to spend the least amount of money.

The problem racks came from Advance Auto parts.

The good racks I have used came from Pep Boys.

The best racks likely come from the dealer, Toyota has their own line of reman racks, but I would bet those cost more than your friend is ready to pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back