Do-It-yourself Undercoating for winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hrm... After posting on the winter maintnence thread, I had a thought. Would it be possible using some fresh store brand SAE 30, and a paint brush, to undercoat the frame of a car, to help prevent/stop existing rust? Thoughts on this, because I have some rust on the under frame that I would like to slow down or stop, and I don't have the $100+ for a professional undercoating job.

I may or may not be doing this with some used motor oil. Letting it boil right now to thicken up a bit. I'll see how it goes on tomorrow.

You're better off getting some Amsoil HD metal protector, or chain lube they use for motorcycle chains and spraying it on. If you want to use a brush get some chainsaw bar oil, that will stick better than the 30Wt. But the 2 sprays mentioned above are better.

I'll look into the price of that AMsoil metal protector, I think I saw some at NAPA on the amsoil rack when I was picking up my wiper blades earlier.

Works great! If you were to use oil, and I don't recommend it, the old timers used waste oil, said it sticks a little better and protects better. That is second hand info, me I'd use the Amsoil HD Metal Protector or Chain Lube.

Well I also happen to have a jug of leftover Chainsaw Bar & Chain lube (the same stuff I used in the destroyed briggs). Will that work?

It will work, and I've used it as well as the HD Metal protector. The HD is better, sprays on gets into tight spots, and seams. Easier and faster, as far as I know it doesn't hurt rubber either. I'd keep the bar oil away from rubber. Now if you're just coating rust spots the bar oil will be fine.

You're looking for a lanolin product, that is designed for US Military spec, specifically to treat ferrous metal to prevent corrosion. It is called Fluid Film, I order it by the 5 gallon pail, but you can also buy it for 30$ a gallon. You might as well use something that works. Fluid Film AR is almost like a grease, but it is formulated to penetrate rust and get down to the metal, stop rust, and prevent new rust. I bring it to my mechanic, who heats it up in a pot, blends it with Safety Kleen rust proofing oil, and sprays the hot liquid using a gigantic compressor. He shoots it into all the nooks and crannies, and it costs me 60$ per application.

HD metal protector here, did my Jeep with it last year, seems to be holding up just fine. 3 or 4 cans should do the underside of most vehicles nicely. Gary Allan hooked me up.

I've never tried it myself by it was recommended to me once before that chainsaw bar lube oil works well because it clings and does not run off as much as motor oil. Sounds good in theory.

Canadian Military rustproofing comparison

Here is a Canadian military rustproofing comparison, basically, Corrosion Free product was first and Krown T-40 was second, what is suprising is that WD-40 was third and outperformed Rust Check and others, and was very close to Krown.

I know in US you guys don't have Corrosion Free or Krown, but according to this study WD-40 is your next best thing.

Last edited:
I hope you're joking.

In WW2 Canadian troops proved time and time again that they are amongst the best in the world in many different theaters.

US military is not all strong and mighty as many think, having expensive "toys" and cutting edge technology is not everything, and I think Vietnam, Gulf, Irak and Iran is a proof of that.

Last edited:
What makes bar & chain oil what it is is the "tackifier" additive. Ideally you could find just some of that and add it to your waste oil.

Greases and axle lubes have varying amounts of tack, if you could heat some up (safely please) and cut it into your oil that would hold nicely.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
I hope you're joking.

In WW2 Canadian troops proved time and time again that they are amongst the best in the world in many different theaters.

US military is not all strong and mighty as many think, having expensive "toys" and cutting edge technology is not everything, and I think Vietnam, Gulf, Irak and Iran is a proof of that.

Not to get into a Military debate, and possibly given a vacation from the board, mods if need be remove my post. The Canadian Military is a great friend and ally. But when it comes down to the best Military in the World the title goes to the USA. Problem is they're instructed to fight with their hands tied behind their backs. Had they been allowed to fight Vietnam, and Afghanistan the way a war is supposed to be fought, they would have ended rather quickly.

Back on topic, bar oil and waste oil make a good undercoating, but my vote still goes to Amsoil HM metal protector. It is a little more environmentally friendly too.

I hope you're joking.

Put down the bong.......
lol.gif
....you are dreaming

Here's my question: if you are going to go under the car and do all that work, wouldn't a yearly coat of Rustoleum be more effective? Maybe not on fasteners, but on the rest, I'd think it would work better.

(On the military: I agree. We should be working toward developing new skills and training on doing the things we are using them for. We need to be able to fight an actual War, but we need to train and equip them to be better able to do what we are asking them to do, which isn't technically war. We are turning our police officers into soldiers, and our soldiers into police officers...)

I hope you're joking.

Canada has been one of the biggest allies fighting in Afghanistan since the beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back