Lermon Pledge

Status
Not open for further replies.
After reading about this on various biker forums, I decided to try dusting my car with lemon pledge. Impressive.

It seems that unlike water based QD spray, the lemon pledge doesn't "knock down" surface dust so your dusting cloth will pick up an amazing amount of dust.

The pledge also leaves behind a bright, if slightly streaky shine. Rebuff with a microfiber cloth, and you are good to go.

This could be a great alternative to waxing in the winter time.

I've got to give you credit, anything with silicone oil and solvent in the product, you are all over it!

Turtle Wax Ice, now Pledge.....at least you are consistent in what you like.

I heard this years ago from an old timer that kept antique show cars.He would wax the car with paste wax then go over it with pledge just before show,he claimed it made the wax more uniform and gave a flawless finish under florescent lights.

I never tried it but the way i understood him was it was just for show not any sort of protection.

Pledge should be left for wood furniture. There are plenty of dedicated spray wax products out there. Why in the world would you use Pledge on a car's paint?

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Pledge should be left for wood furniture. There are plenty of dedicated spray wax products out there. Why in the world would you use Pledge on a car's paint?

Because it works?

Like I said, try googling Lemon Pledge and you will see it has a very good reputation on motorcycle forums.

IMHO The high refractive index silicone/mineral oils in the Lemon Pledge will bring out all the detail in the paint. Much better than any QD. Try it, you will be impressed.

As SC Johnson states:

Quote:
Pledge® can be used for a quick cleaning and shining of your car’s exterior. You can also spray a cloth or rag with Pledge® to clean the dirt and grime from the outside wall of your car tires.

Try looking through a real detailing forum and you will find that no person who wants to actually protect a car finish uses Pledge. The silicone will run off in the next rain.

I can use a liquid spray wax and have longer lasting protection. Some waxes and sealants are so easy to apply and remove that I wouldn't ever consider Pledge. And those waxes actually last.

I'd be afraid that over time damage might occur to the clear coat and/or paint, I would pass on the Pledge too. I'm sure many people used it with great success, but if it were really good for a cars finish SC Johnson would have figured that out and marketed it for automotive use too. After all they're a marketing giant. JMO

Try looking through a real detailing forum and you will find that no person who wants to actually protect a car finish uses Pledge.

I think Lemon Pledge works, regardless of if people on a "real detailing forum" use it or not. It seems pretty popular in the world of motorcycles. For what I'm using it for (as a replacement for QD spray: to remove dust, and bring up a high gloss) it works very well.

I'm not comparing it to a real car wax like Turtle Wax Ice etc, or to a spray wax. Totally different product/chemistry and so no reason they should behave similarly.

My advice is to try it before you knock it, I think you'll be impressed. Worst case, you can use it on the interior of the car, or for any wooden furniture you have laying around.

Last edited:
If it works for you...all the power to you.

But since I have enough detailing stuff to last a normal person several lifetimes, I'll stick with my dedicated car stuff. I rarely quick detail, but when I do I think I'll take the NXT Speed Detailer or just whip up a bottle of ONR. I wouldn't even trust the Pledge for an interior. It doesn't have UV inhibitors. Aerospace 303 or Meg's Quik Interior detailer would be my choice.

If something goes against common sense then I prefer to save my money and not try it.

I have been using it for years for quick detailing and bug removal on my motorcycles. It works really well. It is a time tested product for this purpose and is recommended for same by its manufacturer. I guess it depends upon what your definition of common sense is.

It's really good for dead bugs because it sits on the paint like a thin gel and soaks/moistens the dead bugs until they can be wiped off. Quick detailing sprays can't do this.

It works really well on helmet visors for this purpose as well. I've got some pretty nice paint on my current and previous bikes and cars and no problems in a decade of using it.

It's popularity stems from its multipurpose abilities and its low price.

I rarely quick detail, but when I do I think I'll take the NXT Speed Detailer or just whip up a bottle of ONR.

I wonder how many people here know the Autopia names for things.
cheers3.gif

ONR is great stuff BTW..

Pledge can't be that bad, after all we used to use ATF to shine up dead paint on old cars. Looked fantastic for a couple of days.....

Originally Posted By: jimvegas
I rarely quick detail, but when I do I think I'll take the NXT Speed Detailer or just whip up a bottle of ONR.

I wonder how many people here know the Autopia names for things.
cheers3.gif

ONR is great stuff BTW..

Pledge can't be that bad, after all we used to use ATF to shine up dead paint on old cars. Looked fantastic for a couple of days.....

I visit that site often.

Originally Posted By: Jim 5
It is a time tested product for this purpose and is recommended for same by its manufacturer. I guess it depends upon what your definition of common sense is.

Using whatever people on a "real deatailing forum" use. After all if its expensive and you can't buy it in stores, it must be good.

I've also discovered a new and different use for Pledge, which is to test the depth of scratches in the paint. If a light application of pledge can fill them in, then they are amenable to being polished out. If you can still see them, despite the pledge, then they are deep scratches which can only be reduced with a careful hand application of rubbing/polishing compound.

Originally Posted By: MKZman
I assume Pledge is like a glaze with its oily finish.

The trick it to apply it *lightly* and then rebuff with a clean microfiber. If you over apply it, it will be streaky for a while, untill it "self levels"

Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
Originally Posted By: Jim 5
It is a time tested product for this purpose and is recommended for same by its manufacturer. I guess it depends upon what your definition of common sense is.

Using whatever people on a "real deatailing forum" use. After all if its expensive and you can't buy it in stores, it must be good.

About what I thought. There may also have been a little "I've never heard of that, so it must be bad" thrown in. I shouldn't talk though, 'cause I've been guilty of this from time to time.
beer3.gif

Originally Posted By: MKZman
I assume Pledge is like a glaze with its oily finish.

I used to have an ingredients list of Pledge but can't find it. Prolly lost during a hard drive crash.

Anyway, IIRC Pledge is silicone oil, petroleum solvent (that's what does the cleaning), fragrance, water... I think the aerosol version has a propellant like butane or similar.

In other words, Pledge is a lot like those tire shine products like Xtreme Shine or Tire Wet or whatever they're called.

Quote:

HA, ain't that the truth. I've joked for a long time about using transmission fluid and kerosene to shine up your old paint job. If you want a cheap shine, there ya go! No need for this fancy-schmancy car wax stuff.

Please be careful on rubber, plastic and vinal when using PLEDGE! I used Lemon Pledge in the 80's on two of my daily drivers. The rubber moldings around the door windows and unpainded rubber/plastic/vinal body side moldings started to crack from the Pledge. During that time, I also used the Pledge on my tires instead of other tire shine products. I liked the low gloss darkening that Pledge gave the tires but, Pledge made the tires crack! Maybe the have changed the formula today. Although I must agree, that I like what Pledge does to certain Flat Black Paints(though not all of them) such as outside mirrors and B-Pillers between the doors. Doesn't do too bad of a job on lighter painted serfaces and kitchen appliances. Dark colors will streak terrably. And, I really do like the other products that were actually made for vehicles much better than I like using Pledge, as Pledge just doesn't last much past the 1st washing afterward. I really like the "Wax-as-U-dry" and quick detail type products much better. Get em' on sale!

I use Pledge on my titanium road bike and stainless steel appliances. Cuts grease and shines. Not sure I'd try it on a clear coat though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back