synthetic with additive or lubro Moly Mos2?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am now using the german oil Liqui Moly 10w40 MoS2 in my Porsche 911 with 100.000 miles on it.The one that has Moly in it.
I think it has done a good job in keeping my engine healthy

I was thinking on using for the next change the Fully Synthetic Motul 5w-40 oil and add the Liqui Moly MoS2 additive to it

What do you think?

Both are great oils.
If you want Mos2 in your oil, I guess the best thing is to stick to Liqui Moly.

However, I can understand your desire to try Motul.

It is several additives to put in an oil, that will perform a lot better than Mos2.

liquid MoS2 is not good. we find that it does NOT work inside an engine. it is good when put into grease, and may be good inside a gearbox, but does not do very much inside an engine. in my own case, it actually clogged the oil filter. modern oils are so good that nothing should be added to it. many of the older additives have been shown to do nothing, or actually be harmful.

Henry

I added the Liqui Moly MoS2 additive to Brad Penn 20w-50 in my 1984 3.2 Carrera on its last oil change 6 months ago. Results have been almost too good to be true. Runs cooler, starts easier, and most of the air cooled clatter typical of these motors is gone! My only suggestion is to avoid lighter weight oils such as 5W-40 in your 964 and stick with 15w-40 or 20w-50

I've been happy with adding Lubro-moly MoS2 Anti-friction (which costs ~ $6/bottle at Advance Auto parts) to Valvoline Synpower 5W-30. I can't prove anything, but I think it improves the quality of cold starts, and all around engine smoothness in the period of time between the cold start and the engine being fully warmed up.

2009_200_100.jpg

The AAP I shop at shelves have so little stock on them it looks like they're going out of business. I'd like to check the MOS2 out myself, but they don't have it.

They are doing very well here in Australia currently. Europe is their big thing. I think that because the U.S had a bad run with Slick 50 etc in the past, it will be hard for any additive to really pick up, there are millions of different ones.

Last edited:
Given that many AAP's stock it, it can't be that rare in the US. The US is a great place to sell fuel/engine oil additives. Lots of gullable people.

Lubro Moly is an oil blender at the same time as an additives. Why should people doubt their additives, especially if its the same thing they add to their engine oils which have received great reviews ??? At the end of the day, the Moly is in a neutral base oil, what effect can it have ? Yes there are many snake oils, but some additives are genuine.

Originally Posted By: vxcalais
Lubro Moly is an oil blender at the same time as an additives. Why should people doubt their additives, especially if its the same thing they add to their engine oils which have received great reviews ??? At the end of the day, the Moly is in a neutral base oil, what effect can it have ? Yes there are many snake oils, but some additives are genuine.

Liqui Moly use colloidal MoS2 in only one of their oils: the 10W40 MoS2. Their other oils do not contain colloidal moly. It's pretty hard to find a review on that MoS2 oil. The only I could find was in russian and compared a standard 10w40 with LM MoS2 oil as well as another oil with graphite in it. It turned out that both the MoS2 and the graphite oils had lower friction and wear BUT there was some tendency to "early agglomeration" so the reviewers suggested it would be safer to shorten OCI with these oils. Can't find the link but it was posted on this forum and you can google translate the article in english.

Last edited:
I started adding 2 cans of MOS2 in my air cooled porsche 993 during OCs of M1 0w40. 2 cans cause it has a 12 quart capacity. I honestly dont notice a difference with engine smoothness. Unfortunately, I didnt pay close attention to oil level but I can say that in a normal 12 month OC interval, I add a quart to top off about 6 months into the year. This year, I didnt add anything and my car made it 5000 miles with no top off required (its never dont that before - there is 130k miles on the engine). The big caveat is that I did not pay close attention to the oil level when the OC was done. Did MOS2 reduce consumption? Dunno, but I will know for sure in 12 months during this 12 month cycle.

I also used to occasionally get oil smoke at start up. Never consistent and never understood why it occasionally would happen? Did it occur during extended storage, or when the car was jacked up at certain angles? Never knew why it happened. I can absolutely say that I havent seen smoke the past year. It probalby was due to MOS2. I also added to to my push mower and it eliminated the smoky startups that happened everytime I used the mower. Eliminating the smoke alone is reason enough to use it. If it lowers consumption and wear thats icing on the cake!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Why change what's working.

+1. I'd use LM oil but its far too pricey here. So I compromise a bit by running a good PCMO with LM mos2 added to it. Keeps the cost reasonable while achieving a slightly tweaked engine oil that more closely resembles something I'd buy if the cost was lower.

-Spyder

I always considered it odd that Lubro Moly does not use it's own product in most of their oils.
And any type moly is very light.
The 10-40 has some?

[I will continue to use Lubro Moly in my own vehicles. I'm sold.]

Hi,
tj90 - You said:
"I also used to occasionally get oil smoke at start up. Never consistent and never understood why it occasionally would happen? Did it occur during extended storage, or when the car was jacked up at certain angles? Never knew why it happened."

Horizontally opposed engines do smoke at start up from time to time - it is nothing to worry over

It is unwise to add any supplementary additives to a premium lubricant of any Brand

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
tj90 - You said:
"I also used to occasionally get oil smoke at start up. Never consistent and never understood why it occasionally would happen? Did it occur during extended storage, or when the car was jacked up at certain angles? Never knew why it happened."

Horizontally opposed engines do smoke at start up from time to time - it is nothing to worry over

It is unwise to add any supplementary additives to a premium lubricant of any Brand

Doug, thank you for stating the above. Many of us need to hear it often as we tend to "drift off" into fantasy land.

Doug: Ive always trusted your input and really think that you know what you are talking about! However, in the case of the lawnmower, MOS2 really did work. M1 alone in the crankcase (my briggs and stratton only gets the best) = smoke 100% of the time with cold startups. +MOS2 = no smoke ever.

I too tend to think that the chemists/tribologists at big oil really want to put the best product forward - keeping costs in mind of course. Is MOS is M1? Ive read that newest formulations include MOS in higher conc% (unfortunately I dont remember if its SM, particular brand?). I understand the danger of mixing an additive to a premium lubricant could affectively change the chemical makeup of the lubricant etc. But you wont budge your position - not even for MOS2? Even if you saw improvements with your own eyes?

I started this thread last year, and for the record I am still using Lubro Moly 10w-40 Mos2 oil in my Porsche 964,I always buy 2 additional liters to add between every oil changes but this year I only added I liter so I have one left for my next OC
smile.gif

Last edited:
Hi,
tj90 - Everybody is entitled to their own opinion and of course some will be tempered by their own experiences - as mine are!

I have been down the additives path many times over the last few decades. Graphite, silicons and a variety of others. I visited DuPont Chemicals (Wilmington Head Office) in 1989 concerning Teflon in lubricants. I have sat in many meetings with engine development Engineers - for a number of Companies

I have in front of me one of two 1Qrt containers of "Mark-10 10W-40 grade oil with Micronized Molybdenum Disulphide" from "National Chemsearch". National Chemsearch was based in 2727 Chemsearch Boulevard in Irving, Texas.

The label states "Mark 10 physically plates itself to metal parts, grooves and pores to create a low friction surface that resists removal by mechanical shear and chemical attack"

Some quantity of these were given to me in 1980. They were supplied for trialling! We did try them - and they were not cost effective in the real world! Mnay have passed by in the interim!

IME none have been truely cost effective as supplementary additives in engine lubricantion. Some are great as component assembly additives, Some work in non engine applications

Do Oil Companies try them? - yes. Do some of them work? - yes possibly, and to one degree or another. Do modern correctly specced lubricants need them? - No IMO.
Do engines need them? - No IMO

Liqui Moly who make the Lubro Moly products is a reputable supplier. Some of their excellent finished lubricants have official VW-Audi Listing. Some meet Porsche and MB specifications. The one product that is "moly" intense does not

I think Liqui Moly is also on the lubricant supplier list of some German engine makers

All that said, I will not be using any supplementary additive in my engine oils any time soon - but that's just me!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back