High mileage stories using dino or synthetic oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: panthermike
1992 Ford F150, 302 engine, sold with 252,000. Saw only dino it's whole life. Was fleet maintained in dad's company for the first 200,000. From then until sold, the truck had ZERO oil changes. My brother just topped it off w/ a quart of oil when it started knocking!

That truck just couldn't be stopped.

So the oil wasn`t changed for 50,000 miles huh? man that is incredible.

Last edited:
Sorry GMCChevroletMan, forgot to monitor this thread. My F150 with the 302 was my main transportation for everything from work travel to pulling boats from a john boat with a 30-horse yamaha to a 21-foot bay boat with a 150hp Merc. I sure hated to see it go.

that's awesome...when you have a truck like that, and you get rid of it, ...I know the feeling. Losing a faithful workhorse. Hope your current one goes just as long

Wife and I bought our first non-domestic auto in 1988, a Honda Accord LX w/ 2.0 4 cyl and a 2bbl carb. After taxes and dealer fees, it was $14,000. Best 14 grand I ever spent! Owned it for 18 years and put on 340,000 miles on the car. Unrebuilt engine and auto tranny. No HG or IMG repairs. Just normal repairs and maintenance. 5/10W30 dino motor oil and many FRAM filters every 3-5000miles. The last 4 years the car started to need work. Radiator, gas tank, a/c condensor, fuel pump and driver side P/W motor, alternator and choke thermostat for the carb. Nothing happened the 1st 10 yrs. Then it was a little here, a little there!

Belts/hoses including Timing Belt/water pumps(3), tuneups, brakes, struts/springs, exhaust parts and tires were things that I replaced as needed prior to the last 4 years. But the last 4 years, things came all at once especially rusty parts as mentioned above. Even brake lines and P/S lines.

Took the kids to school, after school activities, travel sports, family vacations and of course, work. Wifes car!

Things that were never replaced and still in the car when I sold it for $900.00 were:
*Brake MC and PB and rear drums(not shoes of course!)
*Head and Intake Manifold Gaskets
*Wheel Bearing F&R
*Starter
*A/C compressor/accumulator
*P/S Pump
*Auto tranny and engine were untouched(1 valve lash adjment)

Most of the work was done my me or the garage down the street. They did good work. They did very thurough work as did I. For example, when doing brakes, I alway lubed everything and blead the system. Tranny fluid drain/refill(many). Same with the cooling system and P/S unit.

I put 300K+ mi on a 1978 VW Rabbit with dino oil. It used so much oil through the valve guides that for years all I did was change the filter about every 4K. The oil never got dark because so much was added. After I had new valve stem seals installed I went back to regular 3K interval. From 1978 to 1989 no part of the engine (other than the seals) ever needed repair.

New guy, been lurking around for a few weeks. Stash is 150+ quarts, 90%+ synthetic. Have 8 cars, 1 bike, and numerous types of OPEs. Pride is my 93 Civic DX sedan (purch new), 376k miles, 38-40mpg; fed steady liquid diet of Castrol 5-30 dino for the first 150k (3-4k OCI), and then synthetics, mostly M1 of various viscosities, usually 5-30 (5k OCI). Replaced leaking rear main when original clutch replaced at around 325k. Replaced alternator at 350k. 3 hoods and 3 radiators due to 50, 60, and 70 mph contacts with deer (no other damage!) Currently M1 5-30 in the 5 speed tranny.

welcome2.gif
to BITOG...
thumbsup2.gif

1993 4x4 Suburban 350ci. with 275,000 mi, Mobil 1 5W-30 since new at 5000 to 6000 mi OCI.
Trans is original also, ATF has been changed regularly.

Had a 1991 Toyota Corolla SR-5 coupe. 1.6-litre 5-speed. Bought it with 75k miles on it.

Drove it for 3 years and 60k miles. Fed it almost exclusively PYB 5W-30 every 3-6k miles, AFAIR. Tried 'a few' oil treatments in it. Used MAYBE 1/2 quart between changes.

Sold it to a university buddy at 136k miles. He drove it for several more years, until the undercarriage rust got so bad it became dangerous. Last time I talked to him about it, it had something like 250k miles on it, and ran great. He fed it 'whatever' 5W-30 dino at about 6-7k mile intervals.

Just last January, he had it towed to a wreckers b/c it couldn't be fixed - just too much floor, suspension, and brake component rust.

I bought a 1993 corolla with 215000 miles 4 years ago. It has a 1.6 stick and had dealer maintenance most of its life. My friend worked at the dealership where the car was traded and bought it cheap because it did not run. He bought it for $600, did a timing belt and tensioner, and sold it to me for $1100. The car has over 272000 miles on a steady diet of st and st filters or whatever filter I can get my hands on. Regular oci of 3-4000 It now is using a 50/50 blend of 10w40hm and 5-30 auto zone oil because it is burning a quart every 1000 miles or less. One oil change it burned a quart in 500 miles and now that i changed to a toyota filter and the blend of oil the oil burning has slowed considerably. Even with all my parts and maintenance to the car I still only have a bit over $1500 invested in it. Pretty decent for a car I have driven 57000 miles. I was going to dump it but I guess I'll keep it until it dies.

Originally Posted By: Dieselsrule
1993 4x4 Suburban 350ci. with 275,000 mi, Mobil 1 5W-30 since new at 5000 to 6000 mi OCI.

is it still running now? burning any oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: gmchevroletruck
Originally Posted By: Dieselsrule

is it still running now? burning any oil?

Runs great, I drove it yesterday. It will still go 4000mi before its down a qt of oil. Also, most of the miles on it have been done with Mobil 1 oil filters. The engine has not been apart except I pulled the distributor out to change the pickup coil about 70,000mi ago. I will post a pic of if someone will tell me how.

Last edited:
I have 227,000 Miles (363,000 KM) on my DD, a '93 Sentra. Dosen't burn or lose a drop of oil during its 5,000 mile OCI.
Always have used sytnetic, mostly M1, since new.

I had a 1986 Mazda with the 2.0liter, 5 speed. I got it with 105,000 on it and only used Kendall 20w50. Sold it for what I paid for it 11 years later with 202,000 miles on it.

when I first got my 2nd car in life a 93 accord I changed out the transmission fluid....it came out BLACK WITH SLUDGE!!! it was so bad I just filled it back up drove it another 1k miles, drained and refill and more BLACK AND SLUDGE came out...I did this I believe like 3 more times until finally it came out not black. At the time I first did it the miles were 96k......the car ran like a champ sold it with 230k miles on it. I shouldnt have sold it when gas jumped to 4 dollars/gallon the value of thec ar jumped to 2k...I sold it for 8 dollars minus the 500 dollars I put into the alternator died had sears put one in.....[censored] I gained 300 bucks only.

93 camry wagon, owned since 50,000 miles back in 1996, car now has 239,000 miles and just about everything is original, and it still runs perfectly. Used lots of different brands of oil, usually 5w-30, recently using maxlife 5w-30 to slow a leak.

What's amazing isn't really the mileage yet, but it's that almost nothing has been replaced and there is virtually no rust on anything and this is a NJ/PA car where salt is used on the roads in winter.

Original struts and shocks, original exhaust system, no suspension work at all, engine never touched except timing belt and water pump, never touched the valves, steering untouched, transmission untouched (except fluid changes), A/C has never been touched, but still very cold, body still looks great, all the window and rubber and doors still perfect despite it living out in the driveway in the sun all the time. Interior fabric and carpet still look great despite it's use as carpool vehicle (has third row in way back).

Things I did replace:

battery
brake pads
front rotors, rear rotors are original
radiator
driver's side window regulator
engine mounts (2)
spark plugs
dist cap and rotor
ignition coil
condensor
plug wires
tires, duh
wiper inserts
changed all fluids of course
fuel filter at 160,000 (but was very clean upon dissection)
air filter
can't really think of anything else...

Amazingly trouble free and durable as all heck. Can't beleive the suspension is still perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back