Best conventional oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need a expert opinion on what the best conventional oil on the market is. Are there any better than the rest? I see a lot of pyb users, but not many on others like valvoline or castrol. So, whats the best?

I used to be a diehard Castrol GTX guy because thats what my dad used when I was growing up, But over the last few years, I have been using Supertech because of the great prices, or when I'm at a parts store like Autozone, I get the "house brand" like the Coastal they used to carry. Am I ok with those oils or should I go with a name brand?

As long as you're sticking to the mfr.'s recommended change interval & viscosity, using SM rated oil for gasoline engines, you'll be fine. I've always been a fan of Valvoline & Mobil products, but Coastal & Supertech (both made by Warren, AFAIK), are decent oils too. It's more important to change it regularly than what you use to do it!

Well, according the oil life monitor in my Ridgeline, it logged 7900 miles on the last oil change, 95% highway miles. I know that the maintainance monitor was designed around dino oil, but do you think that Supertech is up to the task?

For an over-the-counter conventional oil, I'd pick Valvoline too. After all, it was the first motor oil...they've had a lot of time to perfect it!

If I could pick any conventional, though, I'd probably go with Brad Penn. Pure Pennsylvania Crude! All USA.

Originally Posted By: Eddie
There may be no "best" as the engine design and type of driving comes into the equasion.
+1
thumbsup2.gif

Blindly I would go with Pennzoil or Valvoline

Originally Posted By: steveh
Its kind of funny how Valvoline used to get bashed so badly around here a few years ago!!!

Things change.

If there was a "best oil" this site would be boring!
wink.gif

Let me put in a vote for Kendall. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back