Filter gasket stuck on block Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
This last oil change I took my Fram Tough Guard filter off. I always check the oil filter surface on the block and clean it. When I checked it I found the oil filter gasket stuck on the block. This was a first for me. Maybe I have been very lucky.

I did use oil on the gasket prior to install to I am surprised by this.

How many of you guys/gals out there have found the gasket(s) stuck on the block?

Maybe once or twice in 35+ years of doing oil changes. They came right off the block and never caused a leak that I can remember.

Originally Posted By: ZZman
How many of you guys/gals out there have found the gasket(s) stuck on the block?

Maybe 4 times ever. Funny though, two of those times were on the last two OCs.

Not on any vehicles I take care of personally (mine/family). I ran across them occasionally when I did lube monkey work of course. Seems to happen more often if the car has obviously been on that oil for too long. Not always the case, but sort of makes sense; the gasket has baked on. Overtightened filters do it more often as well. It got to the point where I could feel the difference in how the filter is spinning off, if it was not going to come with the gasket I would know before I even got it off. Even with that I always did was run my finger across the mounting surface to check. Just in case I found one of the ultra rare double-gaskets that actually held pressure.

back in 1970 I was at Norwalk Drag Strip in Northern Ohio with my 1968 Dodge Charger. I changed the oil the night before. Going through the lights it started to smoke real bad. I thought I blew the engine but is was still running. After stopping on the return road I looked under the hood and it was full of oil. On the 440 the filter is right up front. After taking the filter off I seen what happened....Yup when I changed the filter the night before the gasket stayed on and I did not see it...put a new one on and ended up with double gasket and the oil pressure blew it out.....From that day on I always double check....I was lucky no engine damage at all......Just a big oil mess under the hood......

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
...It got to the point where I could feel the difference in how the filter is spinning off...

Definitely for me.
It just keeps turning off tight for several revolutions as the gasket is pulling out of the filter base.
Can't count on it though. Always have to look before putting on the new filter.

Twice but both were recent. Time wasn't the issue as I'm pretty good about oil changes, and I oil up the gasket when I put it on.

Fortunately, I'm anal about this so I found them before I put the new one on.

I use old, used oil to lube the filter gasket.

Page14fromDucatiDesmoquattroPrev-1.jpg

I've had that happen with (2) wix oil filters on a 05 caravan, never happens with any other filter for some reason.

Ya pretty common.
About 4x a year somebody in the shop would forget to check and we'd have a giant oil spill. It amazing how fast an engine can pump out 4L of oil.
Can't say it's ever happened to a filter I've installed though.
I always lube the new gasket.

Agreed. I've always used oil to lube the gasket. I thought everyone did that until I started reading others comments on using new oil to do it.

I prefer using new oil - if you use old oil, won't the dirt in it 'bake' to the gasket mounting surface?

Never understood using old oil for this......

I probably shouldn't even admit this on BITOG, but at least I learned a lesson from it...

Unfortunately as a lube monkey I double gasketed a Dodge Dakota when I was in a hurry once. It actually held for a couple of days until the guy got on the interstate with a cold engine...boom, and he lost all oil pressure. Luckily the guy shut down the engine right away and didn't cause any immediate damage...though I am sure it will have a 'shorter' life than without the mishap.

Last edited:
Worked as a grease monkey in college, never saw it happen then....
my daughter, a decent mechanic on minor repairs, brought over a college friend with a Celica to show her how to change her own oil.

I spun the filter off, then pointedly mentioned that I always oiled the gasket by putting it face to face with the old filter (gasket to gasket) that way you get a double header, the gasket is oiled and the old gaskets existence is checked - surprise, the old one was still on the block! Hah, I bet they never forget to check that now, I know I never will!

I have the gasket stick every so often on my Cummins, doesn't happen on any of my other vehicles though.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
I prefer using new oil - if you use old oil, won't the dirt in it 'bake' to the gasket mounting surface?

Never understood using old oil for this......

I've been doing this for the last 15 years. I figure it might be more harmful if I used new oil, considering the contamination of my dirty finger in my nice, clean bottle of oil.

I've never seen oil bake on anything outside of an engine???

I do know one thing is true: After the next nuclear holocaust, there will be used motor oil and cockroaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back