Diesel Oil in Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
i have a 2008.5 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel and was wondering where my fellow Canadians purchase their motor oil and oil filters from in Canada. the dealers are pretty much a rip-off and don't want to have to go through customs if shipping via the U.S.

thanks.

Diesel oil is pretty easy to find. TSC stores sell Valvoline Premium Blue Extreme 5W40 for a little over $22/gallon. I think Canadian Tire has a fair selection of diesel oil. Filters should be available from RockAuto in the US, easy shipping to Canada.

That new Jeep Diesel will most likly need a very specific, low SAPS oils used in it, like M1 ESP 5W-30 or 5W-40. You probably can't use just any oil in it and keep your warranty intact. Delaership might be the only place that sells it right now....be careful.

i ended up ordering a Mann oil filter from amsoil.com - ordered on Wednesday, arrived via UPS Saturday morning. I went to a local Mercedes Dealership and purchased the Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40. changed my oil yesterday. total cost was $150 CAD including taxes vs the dealer who was charging $300 to do the oil change. i initially asked how much for the parts and they quoted $200 plus tax - crazy dealer costs.

Wow, should have found an Esso distribution centre in your area and went there to get your M1 ESP 5W40. Its usually much cheaper there if there. I go there to get all my M1 oils.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
That new Jeep Diesel will most likly need a very specific, low SAPS oils used in it, like M1 ESP 5W-30 or 5W-40. You probably can't use just any oil in it and keep your warranty intact. Delaership might be the only place that sells it right now....be careful.

Definitely true. Calls for MB 229.31/229.51 oil. Check this site:
http://bevo.daimler.com/bevolistenmain.php?session_id=&navigation_path=&language_id=1

Charlie

I also have the 2008.5 GC diesel, so far I have only found the oil at the Jeep dealer in this Canadian city (Mobil 1 ESP Type M 5W-40) $12.99 Qt. Can. I have yet to check at a Mercedes Benz dealer for the oil and filter prices, have heard they are less money. As you know the oil must meet Mercedes Benz specifications 229.31 - 229.51 or Chrysler MS-11106.

2008.5 Grand Cherokee 3liter diesel by Mercedes Benz.

Last edited:
The Mercedes Dealership I went to in Whitby charged $11.90 per litre for the Mobil 1 ESP 5W-40 which does meet the MB229.51 spec. Could be cheaper elsewhere but worth it since they are only 10 minutes away.

I ended up paying $30 including shipping for the MANN oil filter - over $25 cheaper than what the Chrysler deal was charging. amsoil.com was very quick in their delivery of the filter and package it well to prevent any damage while shipped thru UPS

There are lots of Amsoil dealers in Canada. Use the dealer locator on the homepage.

Esso XD-3 is a PAO synthetic in the 0w30 and 0w40 weights and cheap when you buy in buld (case of 4 x 4 litres), but as of February '09 it only shows Mercedes 228.3 spec. However, it may meet the new spec just as it is, just that the chart hasn't been updated. You can likely call Esso and find out.

http://mobil1.ca/Canada-English/Files/Products_Lubes/IOCAENCVLESEsso_Xd-3_extra.pdf

You being in Toronto, it should be easy to pick this up at the wholesaler in Toronto, NOCO lubricants, which is near Kipling and the QEW.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: miker1
There are lots of Amsoil dealers in Canada. Use the dealer locator on the homepage.

Pablo and other site sponsors can help you with Amsoil even if you are in Canada, they'll just arrange for shipping from the nearest depot to you. Doesn't matter, so you might as well support the site sponsor of your choice.

Also,

Esso and Petro Canada make excellent oils. You can buy the appropriate Mobil 1 product at Esso bulk outlets usually at a better price than elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back