$700 to spend on tires, need some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Like the title says, I have $700 to spend on tires (including mounting/balance, tax, out the door) and I need some suggestions everyone. There are just way too many tires available and after researching for literally hours I do not know which ones to go with.

Price range I can roughly spend is $140-$14 per tire and I'm wanting an all-season tire that will last for quite some time and not noisy. Thanks

tire rack is the place to go.
a very premium tire:
Ecsta LX Platinum 122$ x 4 = close to 500$, plus shipping and install and balance will come in just under 700$.

Primacy MXV4 is 176$ x4 = 704, so you can buy it, but there is no money left over for shipping and installation. Plus the Ecsta LX Platinum is better than the Michelin. Michelin prices have a lot to do with marketing, and huge bonuses for the CEO. Ecsta comes from Korea, where the people live more modestly, and the CEO doesn't rip you off with multi million dollar pay cheques for the executives.

If you look at the tread pattern, materials, and manufacturing, the Ecsta and the Primacy are identical. just the Primacy costs 50$ more per tire, which goes straight into the pocket of the CEO.

I can't really help you with the tire but I would recommend getting your best price, then go to Discount Tire/Americas Tire. There appears to be many stores in the DFW area. They also have a $70 rebate in effect for Michelin and BFG's till 10/17. Another $100 rebate on 4 tires was posted here, but can't be verified yet (see link).

Obviously I've had good results with DT both during the sale, and service after. Sign's on their stores say they won't be undersold. Do your research and get price then go to DT. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1611291#Post1611291

HTH
J

What about Coopers? They seem to be getting rave reviews from my friends that have them, and they tend to be cheaper too....

It helps many are made in the USA. Even the Cooper response I saw at sears was US made....

I just got the BFG g-Force a/s in that size, back on Tire Rack special at $71!!! They ride and handle great. The feel is that of a quality tire. Slicing thru deep rain, I did not press the wet grip yet as they only have 50 miles on them. Definately a good purchase. Discount Tire has them for $123 if you prefer.

I can sell you the barely-used Hankooks that come on our Saturn, $200/4

What kind of vehicle? I just put new shoes on my wife's Envoy. Bridgestone Dueler Alenza. Buy 3 get one free, 100.00 rebate. Total after rebate was 425. And they are made in USA!

"Discount Tire has them for $123 if you prefer."

Having personally had the experience of having Discount Tire beat an online Treadepot price, which was then the lowest price on Gen. HP's, I'd get that TR price (or lowest price), print it out, have the figs on an equivalent Wally install, and take it to DT. Add to that the $70 rebate. And then there's the DT service after the sale which includes rotations, balancing, and prorated treadwear policy, which is left to some independent dealer with TR and not included in the price. I'd take Discount Tire, as I have my last 4 sets of tires.

IME the DT online price quote is just what they use for publication, the real DT price with price comparison research is less.

The special price comes and goes. The BFGs would be great on a Tc, but I would not wait and mess around. Order them today! $71!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Super+Sport

Luke is my guy there, fwiw.

We were out today and last night in the rain, stability control off. No complaints. Seriously, half the price of some tires they compare to. They dry lap faster than many performance summer tires. AA wet 460 wear and crisp handling.

To All,

I've had Cooper CS4 on for 500 miles & they will not balance! I'm switching to Kumho Escta LX Platinum tomorrow & hopefully it will get rid of the Steering Wheel Wobble.

Nevertheless, I had Bridgestone Potenza RE92A for 52K & they never wobbled as much as the Coopers. I've seen a lot of happy people w/ Coopers so I believe my experience was just an out lier.

Regards,
~Button

I have Coopers and Pilot Sports too!

The BFG is divided into the H/V and the Z models. I don't think TR has all their facts right, as the H/V has all the features of the Z, but they are not listed on the TR page.

Also, I have to draw your attention to the staff reviews (of the Z). The 2nd review was weak compared to their very top-notch tires (I mean the RE960 for example is $160!) but the first staff review was excellent.

Anyway, price is king in this case. I only had the tires a few days, no regrets at all, they have a nice quality feel. If you drive fast, they may be just about the very best choice in all-seasons.

Captain Klink, I'm not sure where you're reading that the Kumho LX Platinum is a better tire than the Michelin Primacy MXV4, but all data I'm seeing is quite to the contrary. Would you mind posting the source of your opinion? Consumer Reports just released their 2009 tire testing ratings, and the LX Platinum rated towards the very bottom of the V-rated tire group, 12th out of 15 tires.

Originally Posted By: A_A_G
Audi Junkie, I had my eyes on those too. They are 342 shipped which is a really good deal. How are they regarding road noise?

Are these two almost the same tire? I can't find reviews for the one on sale but I can for the other.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/CompareTires.jsp

If you're going for those BfGs try finding them on either Discount Tire or Discount Tire Direct's website and see if they will price match Tire Rack. There's a $70 rebate on Michelins and BfGs from Discount Tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back