how are Autocraft batteries?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, the battery in my car decided to die. I don't know how old it is since it came with the car when I bought it in January. The closest place that I can get a battery installed is AAP so I guess it will be an Autocraft. Who makes them and are they any good?

Now that I think of it, there is an Autozone that's the same distance away. So Duralast Gold vs Autocraft Titanium.

You would have to give me an battery from Advanced auto parts free and then I would still feel nervious. First usualy AAP is only a regional or store warrant not nation wide like AutoZone second I have seen them give hundreds of customers a hard time when trying to warranty a battery! In fact that one year I managed an AutoZone I say more of their batteries come through my door then any other local brand. THe only brand that had more failures in my area was Deka but no place localy sold them it was the tractor supplie type places that sold Deka. I would get a Duralast Battery from AutoZone if you need to have it installed because you cannot do it yourself. If you are able to do it yourself I would either get a Walmart Yellow Maxx Start or an Interstate brand battery. THe Duralast gold is a great battery but I normaly recomended the regular red colored Duralast over the gold. The gold has an 8 year warranty that you are paying for and few people really own their car's that long and the prorated free replacement is longer as well. The thing is that if a battery makes past the free replacment period it is usualy going to make it all the way through it waranty period with no problems assumeing you aree not drawing it down dead daily with car audio gear and or amplifers for CB radio's etc.....So if you cannot afford the Gold Duralast do not worry the regular Duralast is a good battery too just not their best and we sell more of them then anything else.

The battery that died was an Interstate. I looked for the date code before but couldn't find it.

Got a AAP Gold and then I see that the sticker on the Interstate that said 4/08. So the battery was only a year and a half old. But the car sat on the used car lot for a long time and probably got discharged a lot.

Supposedly the new battery is insulated to keep the heat from affecting its life too much.

I had the $10 AAP coupon printed out but forgot to bring it. Have class soon so couldn't drive back for it. Hopefully the new one lasts okay. Costed $85 before tax and disposal charge for old one. Thank goodness I got decent financial aid money this year.

Not much to add here on the batteries but STICKER SHOCK when i had to get one for the camry at autozone! I dont remember the cheapest battery being 79.99. I DO like interstate batteries, and the ones that come in Fords. I've read that "northern" batteries seem to hang in there longer even if the amps and reserve are similar on the tags.

Autocraft batteries are fine. I have owned three of them without any problems. Always bought the silver, seems to be the best bang for the buck. Last time I checked, exide was their supplier.

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Johnson Controls makes them.

Really? They seem to makequite a few batteries..

Their batteries are fine, however, you give a Florida location and batteries have a shorter (about 30-40%) lifespan in hotter areas so I would plan on a replacement schedule. The old thinking was colder climates were harder on batteries but the hotter engine compartments and hot cranking with AC on virtually all the time seem to cause much more wear.

Batteries aren't an item that I have ever had trouble with. I used to buy the least expensive battery(s) for my vehicles/application and they lasted 4-5 years. I currently have an AutoCraft Platinum from AdvAutoParts(comming up on a year now) and it's fine. I'll get another for my other vehicles when ready.

Popped the hood and took a look at the sticker. No indication who makes it. It better last long though.

I got the Gold instead of the Silver with the extra 12 months free replacement for only $10 more in mind. But the Gold is 700 CCA and the Silver is 585, which is OE spec. Isn't a higher CCA rating always better? Or is that only true in places that get really cold?

Originally Posted By: H2GURU
Their batteries are fine, however, you give a Florida location and batteries have a shorter (about 30-40%) lifespan in hotter areas so I would plan on a replacement schedule. The old thinking was colder climates were harder on batteries but the hotter engine compartments and hot cranking with AC on virtually all the time seem to cause much more wear.

Since I moved to Miami I haven't heard of anybody's battery lasting more then 4 years..When I lived in the NYC area some batteries lasted as long as 7 years.

It seems the heat is a lot worse then the cold when it comes to batteries..Just about everyone leaves the a/c on all the time down here so it seems that could take a toll as well on the battery.

Originally Posted By: asiancivicmaniac
Popped the hood and took a look at the sticker. No indication who makes it. It better last long though.

I got the Gold instead of the Silver with the extra 12 months free replacement for only $10 more in mind. But the Gold is 700 CCA and the Silver is 585, which is OE spec. Isn't a higher CCA rating always better? Or is that only true in places that get really cold?

Higher CCAs mean thinner plates that fail more easily. Only get what you need, within reason (super cheap batteries may lack CCAs and have other failings). With multigrade oil and gear reduction starters you don't need a bazillion amps.

Exide makes Napa batteries. Johnson Controls makes AutoCraft batteries. From what I read online, Johnson is supposed to be better quality than Exide. I have had an AAP Silver in my truck going on 2 years now here in the central Florida heat and have had no problems with it.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Higher CCAs mean thinner plates that fail more easily. Only get what you need, within reason (super cheap batteries may lack CCAs and have other failings). With multigrade oil and gear reduction starters you don't need a bazillion amps.

Certain places that sell batteries sell ones with fewer CCAs when they are in a warmer climate. Advance Auto is not one of those though.

I have a '99 Maxima that I recently replaced the battery on. I bought the AutoCraft Silver instead of the Gold for the reason listed above: Thicker plates.

585 CCA is plenty and what comes with it OEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back