Lubro-Moly Anti-friction additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I will be switching to PP 5W-30 about the end of october before it starts getting really cold out. It has a great add pack, but I like my moly. I saw a VOA of this stuff and it seems to have a ton of moly and alot of boron. Is this good stuff? I have a 4-quart oil sump. Would it be a good add for my oil? And how much should I add to my oil at the next OCI?

The MoS2 anti-friction additive is a colloidal MoS2 dispersion. You are supposed to dose it 50ml/quart. So one 300ml bottle treats 6 quarts of oil.

It's like $6/300ml at AAP. And given how small the amount added is, I would think its not going to change the bulk properties of the oil, as much as adding a quart of say MMO/Lucas Oil stabilizer/Rislone would.

I thought the math came out to with a full 300ml in 4qt that you would add like 350ppm of moly to the oil. Is there something wrong with Colloidal MoS2? Like I said before, my favorite add besides calcium is moly.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottle says 50ml per liter. The colloidal MoS2 will stay in suspension (it's probably not strictly colloidal but due to the small particle size, it will stay suspended via stokes law for human-scale time spans).

The colloidal moly will swoosh around, and get plated onto the metal at any rough spots, as any extreme pressure additive should do.

I class it as mostly harmless, and add it to my engine oil (Valvoline Synthetic 5/30). The real test will be how it affects cold starting this winter (Planning to switch to Mobil 1 0/30).

I donno, it could be a based on the newest technology of ceramic powders. I think the MoS2 additive is probably good stuff. Like I've said elsewhere, it seems to be useful in the period between starting the engine and having fully warmed up oil flowing around.

I added some to my 2009 Forester. I hope is delays the onset of piston slap these engines are known to develop.

Sorry to wake up this thread, but I just picked up a 300ml can of this stuff @ my local NAPA...only $4.63...quite a bit cheaper than AAP, which was a surprise. NAPA part# is AIC-LM2009

It most be a regional thing or something because my AAP doesn't carry the stuff at all.

I added 2.5oz to my 4.3qt sump today during my lunch break(w/Citgo 5w30 200mi old). I started the engine and let it idle for about 5min to stir it up. Even with the small mixing ratio, a mild grey color was immediately visible on the dipstick. The car ran smoothly on the 50mi trip back home...nothing to write home about, but the idle does seem a little higher than normal.

I've been using Lubegard Bio-Tech for the past 2yrs. I've always thought it was pricey, but when Napa raised the price up to $14/bottle...I figured it was time to look for something else. If the Lubro-Moly can give me results(in small doses) @ only $5/bottle I'm all for it.

Originally Posted By: Leo
Anyone know the difference between the MoS2 additive and their "Motor Protect" additive? (Called 'Engine Protect' down under). It doesn't state it uses MoS2 at all in the Motor Protect product.....

FWIG, the "Motor Protect" probably contains VIIs since it apparently does increase viscosity. It'd be interesting if it did contain some moly...kinda like VSOT.

I just dump the total 300ml container into a 5 quart fill. So that's a slight over treatment. I think it improves the quality of cold starts, which is what I'm paying for. At $6/can it's a reasonable investment as the weather gets colder IMHO.

Unlike other additives I doubt it changes the bulk properties of the oil (e.g by diluting or thickening it) or interacts with anything.

@ speedysweede, I would put a little more in, maybe 2/3rd of the can in total. The difference I noticed is in more rapid/smoother cold starts.

Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
@ speedysweede, I would put a little more in, maybe 2/3rd of the can in total. The difference I noticed is in more rapid/smoother cold starts.

I'm planning on having a UOA done on this batch. I might increase the ratio if the Mo numbers are still moderate. After only a few days of driving, the 2.5oz has noticably darkened the my fresh batch of Citgo. Under normal circumctances, my oil won't begin to darken until 1500mi.

Originally Posted By: Kaboomba
Is this MoS2 additive compatible with typical syns?

According to Lubro-Moly it is...."Can be mixed with all commercially available engine oils."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back