Spark Plugs with Crush Washers - One Stab Only?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Put in a set of NGK Iridium IX today. Had to remove # 1 after torqueing it down and then reinstalled it. (Socket's rubber boot stayed on too tight and the extension came off first).

I used a torque wrench and hit the specified 15ft/lb both times.

Is it a concern that the crush washer was already crushed during the first install and probably conformed to a difference surface? Does this affect sealing?

Some of the plugs on my lawnmowers and other equipment use crush washers. I remove and re-install them all the time, never had any problems.

I haven't had a problem with install/re-install plugs with crush washers after all these years. It's shouldn't be a problem.

However, when I was doing auto repair work for a living, I would install a new washer just because the plug wasn't in MY engine.

We used to have lunch bags full of washers in the parts cabinet so it wasn't a big deal to just use a new one. I don't even think you can get these washers individually anymore.

If it wasn't overtightened, you can use the old washer for sure.
I don't think anyone ever bought new spark plug washers for old plugs!
But you can't tighten them the same. Use 1/4 turn after zero for a new crush washer spark plug. This is too much for a used one!
15 is OK, but I'd go 12 .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back