Maximum mileage on quality synthetic oil??????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are driving 90% highway mileage,very little stop and go, not extreme temperatures, normal car/van, how many miles could you drive on a quality synthetic oil :Mobil1/ PenPlatinum etc...I have always got a variety of answers on this topic....Also, assuming you are driving a new car or one with very low mileage...

Last edited:
Your guess would be as good as anyone else's to be honest. Depends on the driver, how hard the engine is on the oil, fuel quality, etc. Too many factors to consider. Only a couple of UOA's would be able to give you better information IMO.

If most of the trips are more than 15-20 miles and the oil sump is 5 quarts or more, then 10-12k miles OCI is reasonable for most engines.

I have a friend who has a 2002 Dodge Dakota 4.7 V8. He does 187 miles per day round trip on the highway. He changes his Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 and Pure One filter every 8k. You can probably put more miles on a synthetic but you need to practice oil analysis to keep an eye on the oil's Total Base Number to make sure to oil still has the ability to fight off acids in itself.

Different for everybody. M1 EP has more longevity than PP in my ride. 6 mos /4500 miles is what I do.

For years I did 10,000 mile OCI's on my 95' Chevy PU, then later with my 2000 Silverado, using Mobil 1 and driving 95% highway.
Never any problems.

I would also have to say around 10k miles, however my parents change out their oil around every 7k miles with synthetic (however they live in Chicago)

I used Amsoil for the last 2 years now. I change it out around October and run it until September / October of the next year with no issues.

It's all in what you want to do,not everyone is the same on how long they feel they want to run a certain oil.

Good luck~!

There was a guy with an S2000 running a bypass system using Amsoil, I think he did 30k intervals if I'm not mistaken, with UOAs backing it up.

It varies from car to car.

I have done 10,000 mile OCIs for 31 years with M1 oils. In the last 20 years mostly in Fords. Before that in a Chevy, K car, brain fade, a Couple of Ford 4 cyl diesels in the mid 80s.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back