question about obd2 code reader

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys,

I have a scan tool, Innova 3100 CAN and obd2 code reader, and its working fine as far as I know but I have a question regarding the green light, the yellow light and the red one.

When I plugged the obd2 code reader in my car for the first time, 3 years ago, no code showed up (no check engine light either) and I had the green light showing on the code reader. 2 years ago, I had my first check engine light on the dashboard so I scanned my car and I had the P0420 (bad cat bank 2) + red light. So I changed the catalytic converter and erased the code. I then scanned the car and the results were no code + yellow light (not ready for an emission test).

So since last year, every time I try to scan my car, I have no code showing + yellow light.

How come I can't have a green light since everything is working perfectly?

Also, in the future (for Christmas), I wanna get myself a new scanner that can read live data, that can read also abs code etc. What would be your suggestion?

-Mark.

Last edited:
You are correct on how the lights work. You should have a green light by now so there is 1 (or more) OBD2 readiness tests that have not completed. Have you performed a "drive cycle"? Each manufacturer has a specific drive cycle (basically how you should drive the car in a set # of miles). But, in any event, after about 25-50 miles of driving ANY car should have run all its OBD2 on board tests so you either have an issue with the tool or the car never gets driven a certain way for the PCM/ECM to run a certain test - which leaves on the yellow light.

As for more advanced tools that can read live data - Innova makes some nice ones that are priced reasonably.

It's possible you have a solitary test not run. I had that happen when my battery died 2 days before my inspection appointment (New York registration) this past winter. Everything else ran but that one test, and the car passed inspection. Down here you're allowed 2 emissions tests to not be run by federal law. Not sure what the laws for you are.

If you happened to check the car with the gas tank too full or too empty, the EVAP:pURGE may not even operate. It varies by man, but that's why they allow 1 or 2 readiness states to be incomplete. I had to play to get my son's Cherokee to PASS. It would have gone through fine, but the tank was full. No EVAP:pURGE. He had a failed pre-cat so I had to get it in the window of no CEL ..but the heater circuit being the only incomplete state.

thanks a lot guys!

I've searched through the internet how to make an obd2 drive cycle + a gm drive cycle. I found it.

This morning, I did the step by step instruction and after that, I plugged the scanner and guess what, no code + GREEN light! yippi!!!

Tks a lot, I've learned something else today! Tks to you guys!

You've gotta love the information age
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
You've gotta love the information age
55.gif

oh yeah!

+ I did a little MAF sensor cleaning + throttle body cleaning today. You can see my post in the mechanical section:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1566198#Post1566198

I don't know if you remember that you gave me your email so we could try to diagnose the surging problem I had with the 5l40e transmission on my CTS but read the post and the problem is solved
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back