Reviews and lifespan of Magnefine in-line....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just placed a Magnefine in line filter in a bus that is used for ministry purposes. It seems like a good idea as most transmission filters are more like a foam air filter on a lawnmower rather than a paper element filter on a engine.

And the magnet is a bonus, adds to the capacity of the transmission pan magnet.

After installing the magnefine on the bus and seeing how easy it is I am really thinking about installing one of these on each of my vehicles. The rock catcher and the magnifine working together should do a great job.

However I am wondering how many of you guys run these things? Have you had any trouble with them?

Thanks,

Dave

It's a great product. I'm really glad that someone came up with the idea. Anyone can install auxiliary filtration.

I think that they have a long life in spite of their compact size. Generally speaking, the amount of material that any trans is going to shed is going to be varied on the number of transitions/shifts it makes.

Assuming no "issues" where something is grenading, the best filtration is a bypass bridged across the cooler circuit. That level of filtration assures the cleanest fluid.

Magnefines are great filters. If you have room, there are bigger full flow and bypass filters that can be even cheaper in terms of replacement (either in filter cost or longevity in use) and all for about the cost of two Magnefine's.

For something like PS return lines, they're about the most practical package available.

I have a Magefine installed on my p/s on my boat (only because I had an extra and no use for it) I've had it on their for 4 season with no problems. I don't know what if anything it has picked up, but the fluid is still flawless.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan

Magnefines are great filters. If you have room, there are bigger full flow and bypass filters that can be even cheaper in terms of replacement (either in filter cost or longevity in use) and all for about the cost of two Magnefine's.

For something like PS return lines, they're about the most practical package available.

Where would I be able to find one of these full flow or bypass filters for my transmission?

I am more interested in the full flow.
It would be awesome to somehow rig a full flow oil filter to a transmission return line and just change that out once a year.

I installed a Magnefine on my 08' Corolla and it went well. Had to by another run of 5/16" AT cooler tubing to get it to route right without kinking hoses. I did this two weeks ago and so far so good. I am going to cut it open at the end of the recommended change period and post what I find.

2vvjgih.jpg

Where would I be able to find one of these full flow or bypass filters for my transmission?

It would be awesome to somehow rig a full flow oil filter to a transmission return line and just change that out once a year. [/quote]

You can get them online just search for remote transmission filter, B&M, Permacool, Summit Racing all carry them. They use a spin on oil filter.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1595644#Post1595644

The cheapest I found so far was at Amazon for a B&M for < $30. with free shipping.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TheOak
Remember, you don't need to cut it open, the top does screw off ...

Too funny! You are correct. Don't know what I was thinking there.
43.gif

I put one in the tranny line of my auto Jeep and both power steering return lines...nice clean fluids on the white paper towel thus far..great little filter!

I know people including myself running these Magnefines or the WIX/SPX version for anywhere from 30-100k miles. No reports of problems so far.

Originally Posted By: SuperDave456

It would be awesome to somehow rig a full flow oil filter to a transmission return line and just change that out once a year.

The packaged setups aren't too bad for costs ..really, but they do hit you for putting it together in a package. The aftermarket packages are basically remote mounts using 3/4-16 (Ford, Mopar) filters.

You can save some money by getting a Northern Tool hydraulic mount. Filter and mount are $13+S&H. The filters are more expensive ..but typically finer than engine filters. The bypass is built into the mount on those. Other than that, you need some reducer bushings and a couple of hose barbs ..and some trans cooler line. Replacement filters will tend to be more expensive. I've got enough plastic wrapped hydraulic filters to last me several life times off of ebay.

It all depends on your tightwad factor. I've just bought too many "good deals" at salvage to pay $40+S&H for what they offer. For a life time purchase, it's chump change.

Magnefine filters are great due to their features and compact size. Anyone can use one. That alone justifies the price.

Originally Posted By: jeff194

The cheapest I found so far was at Amazon for a B&M for < $30. with free shipping.

Woah! A Magnefine is $25 at the local NAPA. I think I will do some late night shopping at Amazon and use a high temp neodymium magnet on the filter.

Yeah. When you first see one (and I saw my first in 1997) you think it's a $5.95 MAX item.
lol.gif

I think the site sponsor beats that price.

4020_lg.gif

This went up. It's 16.99+$5.99 S&H

I have been using the Magnefine filter on my '96 windstar for a number of years......it has over 215K miles on it.

Magnefine on my power steering return (low pressure) line.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1334942382011220610PicgSc
You can see in the picture that I added some extra hose and zip-tied things in place.....avoiding tight bends and anything hangine down.

Magnefine on my transmission fluid return line.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/1335969027011220610OiEiLN

First in a series of pictures to show unscrewing the top and a look at what is inside a Magnefine filter.
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2014962520011220610RLvddU

They the Magnefine filter is sold under several different brand names.

I've been using the Wix equilavent for the last 10k on the trans in the Escape and probably over 20k on the ps in the Ranger. Think they run 13ish at OReilly's. Just cut the hose in half on the Escape had to add a little on the Ranger.

100_1680.jpg

Any 3/4-16 filter (as fancy as you please) for the Summit or Jeg (Permacool setups). Regular automotive filters is what you're using. The finer the better.

The NorthernTOol is a 1-12 thread. Replacement filters will (probably) be more expensive, but probably comparable to PureOne.

Any NAPA should be able to service all of your needs for filters ..as would fleetfilter.com

Something like this works.

Part Number: 51551
UPC Number: 765809515512
Principal Application: Various Hydraulic Applications (10 Micron) - for 20 micron version, use 51552 - for 33 micron, use 51553
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Hydraulic Filter
Service: Hydraulic
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 5.209
Outer Diameter Top: 3.663
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1-12
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Beta Ratio: 2/20=5/13
Burst Pressure-PSI: 380
Max Flow Rate: 12-16 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 10

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.729 2.415 0.255

Are the filters sold by NAPA and O'Reillys rebadged Magnafines, or are they manufactured by other companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back