Costco Gasoiline Class Action SETTLEMENT NOTICE

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION ABOUT A CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT

CLASS ACTION SETTLEMENT NOTICE

TO: All residents of Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, the District of Columbia and Guam who purchased gasoline from Costco between 1/1/01 and 4/22/09.

The Court in In re Motor Fuel Temperature Sales Practices Litigation, Case No. 07-MD 1840 (U.S. Dist. Ct., KS) has preliminarily certified a class comprised of the persons identified above and preliminarily approved a proposed class action settlement. The complaint alleges that Costco (and others) misled consumers by marketing motor fuel at temperatures above 60 degrees Fahrenheit without adjusting for the fuel's temperature. Costco denies any wrongdoing. If the settlement is approved, Costco will install automatic temperature correcting pumps in certain states under specified conditions. Except for the representatives, the class will not receive any payment. If you are in the class defined above, your rights may be affected by this settlement. If you do NOT want to be bound by a class judgment, the Court will exclude you ONLY if you send a letter by mail stating: "I request that I be excluded from the Settlement in In re Motor Fuel Temperature Sales Practices Litigation, MDL Docket No. 1840." You must also include: (1) your full name and current address; (2) your signature and (3) proof of gasoline purchase from Costco after 1/1/01. You must postmark your exclusion request to Settlement Administrator, PO Box 12985, Birmingham, AL 35202-2985 no later than FEBRUARY 23, 2010. REQUESTS FOR EXCLUSION THAT ARE NOT POSTMARKED ON OR BEFORE FEBRUARY 23, 2010, WILL NOT BE HONORED.

If you do nothing, you WILL be included in the class and will be bound by the settlement and class judgment. You will not be able to pursue any other lawsuit against Costco concerning or relating to the claims alleged in these lawsuits. You may also file with the court objections to the settlement by March 2, 2010. The Court will hold a hearing in this case on April 1, 2010, to consider whether to approve the settlement. You may ask to appear at the hearing, either in person or through an attorney of your choosing. For further information regarding the settlement and your rights to participate or object, visit http://www.Costco.com/fuelsettlement.pdf or write to Fuel Settlement Notice, PO Box 12985, Birmingham, AL 35202-2985.

PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT THE COURT OR THE CLERK'S OFFICE.

wooohoooo we're all going to get $2.00 from costco while the lawyer gets $200,000
banana2.gif

Originally Posted By: tom slick
wooohoooo we're all going to get $2.00 from costco while the lawyer gets $200,000
banana2.gif

lol

Not even $2 "Except for the representatives, the class will not receive any payment."

I thought gasoline in the US is typically sold without temperature compensation. So what's the big deal other than the lawyers trying to make a quick buck by screwing over Costco?

If 2,500 of us write in to opt-out, could we screw over the lawyers by making them work for nothing?
EXCLUDING YOURSELF FROM THE PROPOSED SETTLEMENT
If you want to maintain the right to sue, or continue to sue, Costco based on claims you may have arising from gas sales by Costco on a non-temperature adjusted basis, you must exclude yourself from the Settlement Class, as described below. This is sometimes referred to as “opting out.” If more than 2,500 people opt out of this settlement, Costco has the right to cancel the settlement.

Well, I was going to stop reading when I realized Ohio was not listed as one of the states involved in the lawsuit. Then, for kicks and grins, I decided to read on and I have to agree with ForestG..... in asking, "what other oil producers/retail gasoline sellers compensate for temperature?"

TomSlick is right about those hucksters/shysters/lawyers. Next, they'll sue Costco for continuing to use metal shopping carts instead of hard plastic ones, thereby exposing their "client's" vehicles to a higher level of damage than would be inflicted by a hard plastic cart.

There's way too many shyters who are desperate for "billable hours."

Slightly better explaination

Costco gas prices will be adjusted for heat expansion

April 24, 2009

Costco Wholesale Inc. has agreed to install new gasoline pumps at stores in California and 13 other states that will adjust prices when fuel temperatures rise above the industry standard of 60 degrees.

The agreement would end Costco's involvement in a lawsuit filed by consumers against oil companies and fuel retailers contending that they have knowingly overcharged consumers by selling fuel that contains less energy because it expands as it gets warmer. The retailers adjust for warm temperatures when they buy at the wholesale level but not when they sell to consumers. Some estimates place the cost to consumers at $2 billion or more a year.

Under the agreement, Issaquah, Wash.-based Costco will install price-adjusting pumps in seven other states and the District of Columbia if it begins buying temperature-adjusted fuel wholesale in those areas.

The proposed agreement, which was signed Wednesday, will be implemented over five years if approved by a federal judge in Kansas, where several lawsuits were consolidated.

The other states where Costco will sell temperature-corrected fuel are Alabama, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Nevada, New Mexico, North Carolina, South Caroline, Tennessee, Texas, Utah and Virginia. If any state forbids the installation of such pumps, Costco would be exempt there.

"This is fantastic news for consumers," said Judy Dugan, research director of Consumer Watchdog, a Santa Monica-based advocacy group. "Costco is taking the lead in offering drivers gasoline that has the same amount of energy in every gallon, living up to its reputation as a consumer-friendly place to shop."

Currently, only Hawaii requires service stations to install automatic temperature compensation devices on pumps. In Canada, retailers voluntarily use the equipment to make sure they don't provide extra energy to customers when the fuel contracts in the 90% of the country that has long and frigid winters.

I was involved in a class action last year. My share, a whopping 39 cents. The mailed me my 39c cheque (which I cashed) with a 72 cent stamp.

Originally Posted By: spursfan600
Originally Posted By: tom slick
banana2.gif

lol

$200,000??? Try 20 million...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back