MMO in the oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Geo Prizm has 249k miles on it now. Under the valve cover looked fairly normal, just the usual varnich, light gold/tan. I just changed the oil this past weekend with Pennzoil High Mileage. Would it hurt to add some MMO to the crankcase for this OCI? I know it woul start cleaning, etc, but what if I were to change the filter half way through this OCI?

I've left MMO in for the whole OCI before, shouldn't be a problem. Others may have a diferent opinion and ask why you would put MMO in with a HM oil, but I don't see why it wouldn't hurt.

It wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't use it. I had a 1992 Corolla, at 213,000 the clutch went and I didn't fix it. No interior door handles makes you lust for a new car too much. One of, if not the best cars I've ever had in my life. The current Corolla is a disgrace to this gen.

I only did one OCI a year, on PYB, and I'm sure we went over 15,000 miles. Started all winter, never a problem.

Varnish is probably only cosmetic. If you have some, add a few hundred miles before the next oil change, not now.

LOL! My interior door handles were broke too. the outside ones ont he back doors are broke also. I got new ones cheap on Ebay. they still make them. I think it is a common failure on this generation corolla/prizm.
I just bought this car for $500 and cleaned it up, full tune up, and full fluid changes. Mine is a 3 speeed auto. The only thing repaired on this car its entire life is a cv joint, alternator and battery. Nothing else! Not even a timing belt or water pump! I will do those in a couple of weeks of course along with the hoses.

Originally Posted By: bepperb
It wouldn't hurt, but I wouldn't use it. I had a 1992 Corolla, at 213,000 the clutch went and I didn't fix it. No interior door handles makes you lust for a new car too much. One of, if not the best cars I've ever had in my life. The current Corolla is a disgrace to this gen.

I only did one OCI a year, on PYB, and I'm sure we went over 15,000 miles. Started all winter, never a problem.

Varnish is probably only cosmetic. If you have some, add a few hundred miles before the next oil change, not now.

MMO is designed to be used in the oil. It cleans a bit, and does no harm at all. Run a full OCI if you'd like....

Originally Posted By: addyguy
MMO is designed to be used in the oil. It cleans a bit, and does no harm at all. Run a full OCI if you'd like....

+1 If you have any doubts add a pint about 1000 miles before you drop the oil. Then during the winter run MMO for the full OCI.

Another good product is Schaeffer's Neutra, even though it is more expensive than MMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Neutra can be added to oil?

Yes it can, there is an old thread in the oil additive section where people who were not happy with another oil additive's ability too clean up the valvetrain got good results with Neutra. It's a great product, kind of surprised we do not talk about it much.

I would sooner put it in my oil than in the gas tank. Some engines/ECU could be sensitive to things like overtreatment with UCL type additives. (Or maybe I'm just prone to overdosing! :) )

Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
I would sooner put it in my oil than in the gas tank. Some engines/ECU could be sensitive to things like overtreatment with UCL type additives. (Or maybe I'm just prone to overdosing! :) )

No problems with OD'ing your engine on MMO, at least I haven't had any yet. I've used a little over a qt in a 21 gallon tank w/o issue, and have been known to OD on occasion with other vehicles. I strongly recommend using the suggested dose of 4 oz/10 gallons of gas or slightly less for best results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back