Kelly Aerospace New Oil filter BAD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm posting this for my pilot friend who has 1962 Cessna 172 Continental 0300 that use to run screen only adapted kit to spin-on.
It uses ES 48108-1 (Kelly Aero). Yesterday while doing his annual the oil was changed. Went to test the engine for oil leaks no leaks but NO oil pressure!
Anyone ever have oil filter cause NO oil pressure before? Filter is in route back to Kelly Aerospace to find what happened and he'll get back to me what they found.
Does anyone know who makes these filters or does Kelly make them in house? Other than the 8 point nut weld top of the can they look like any other spin-on that costs $18 ea. ouch! Amazing what FAA qualified specs adds to cost. IE AeroShell 15w/50 or 50wt for summer a mere $78 for 12qt.
TNX
Paul
N8BUU

I find it interesting that Kelly Aerospace's part numbers just happen to be the same as Champion Aerospace's. Not to mention that they look the same, as well...

Yes I forgot to clarify, yes a second filter and normal pressure as before. Friend contacted Kelly and UPS'ed filter to Kelly for inspection. They are suppose to report what they found.

F111A: How long did it run without showing pressure? Could it be that the oil pump lost it's prime? It's a possibility. Is the filter in this engine mounted in a position where it can be filled prior to startup? Does the filter contain the bypass valve or is it in the engine? My quick guess would be that the original filter is OK but that the oil pump lost it's prime momentarily. Keep us informed. FWIW-- Oldtommy

He says it will start wiggling the needle while cranking and pressure usually jumps up to cold "normal" less than 1-2 seconds at most. With this bad filter no pressure indication what so ever he killed after 15-20secs.
Yes will definitely update I'm curious, it's first I ever heard just changing oil!!
This filter does have anti-siphon back and would hope even with 15w/50 in the winter it has a by-pass? Of course it still requires a preheat for 2-3 hours before starting in the winter. Oh this filter is positioned at 45' with base down and I forgot to ask about the pre-filling I doubt it be much more than a few ounces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back