Best cheap motor oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've been on, but I never stop thinking about you all!
wink.gif

So, I did a search and to my amazement, what I thought would have been a common thread was nonexistent.

I have been running PP at 7500mi OCI's, but times are tough and if I can get away with running an oil that's half the price at a 5000mi OCI and still maintain decent engine protection then that's what I want to do.

So, here's the question:
What do you guys think is the best cheap oil out there?

I've been thinking about Super Tech Synthetic (last I checked it was pretty cheap), but I've read good and bad about it.

The oil you suggest might be only capable of 3000mi OCI's but be less than 3/5th's the price of a 5000mi OCI oil...you get the picture.
thumbsup2.gif

Also, if you have any thoughts on good cheap oil filters that would be helpful too.

Anyway, this place is great..I really mean it, I love owning people on their oil knowledge because of what I've learned here and it's all thanks to all of you!
thumbsup2.gif

If you have any access to Chevron Supreme,that is an outstanding oil that is pretty cheap.Also Formula Shell.As far as oil filters,I really like the Purelator (the white ones)

Last edited:
Best deals I've seen for a while are Citgo at Rural King for $.79/qrt. I'm sure it can go 3k miles, and probably 5k with moderate (read not-severe environment) use.

Depending on how far you're into your current oil change interval, you can find Pennz Platinum on sale frequently and continue using it.

I think you'd be better off looking for a good deal on a number of oils, that looking for the best low cost oil at regular price.

For example, this year I bought a case of Valvoline for 14 bucks, and four quarts of Formula Shell for five bucks. Either could go 5000 miles no problem. I also got a few 5qt jugs of PP for five buck, after rebate of 15. Keep an eye out on the deals forum, and I think that's the best way to stretch your dollars.

Chevron Supreme is the equal to Havoline literally, just different bottles, and is cheaper in my experience.

I'd go with that or Mobil Clean 5000.

I too like Chevron Supreme/Havoline. It still has quite a bit moly and a high quality group II+ base oil. It's mineral, and the moly content makes it an excellent break in oil.

Wow, thanks for all the quick replies!! So it seems that Chevron Supreme/Havoline is a fav..that's a dino right? Would you all say it's better than Super Tech synthetic?

Yeah, looking for the deals is probably the best idea...WOW! 5qt jugs of PP for $5?! That's amazing...how long did it take for the rebate to come in?

Have you tried the PP $15 rebate at Walmart and one their website? There are 2 rebates and since a 5qt jug is $20 that makes it $1 per quart.

"how long did it take for the rebate to come in?"

In my experience, Valvoline only takes about two weeks. SOPUS (Shell/Pennzoil/QS) is probably six weeks, and the two Mobil rebates I did were about 12~14 weeks each.

Right now all three have rebates of some sort going on. Really, you might be able to pick up a case of Valvoline conventional and submit a $10 rebate and get that oil cheaper than anything. If you have the time, the PP for five bucks is hard to beat.

Push you PP intervals to 10-12k. Oil will easily do it, and, you don't have to worry about finding a new oil.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Push you PP intervals to 10-12k. Oil will easily do it, and, you don't have to worry about finding a new oil.

Good idea, but 10K max, IMHO.

A decent "syn" with a rebate - like PP right now (and M1afe last month). Hav is on sale at VIP auto parts for 1.89/qt up here; Didnt work for me though at last trial. Why go down a step to dino for the price of 2 gal of gas?

Last edited:
The answer to your question is that the cheapest SM oil you can get is the best. (For me, I follow this rule as long as it is a name brand)

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply..I looked around the home page for a description glossary to find out what "SM" stands for, but I was unable to find one. Can anyone point me to an explanation of the different types and grades and what not?

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back