BMW M3 calls for 10w-60 - what to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: jaj
What's truly amazing is the number of people that feel that because TWS is OEM-approved and supplied by dealers that it's no good.

Agreed. It's like they trust the company when they buy the car, but not when they maintain it.

Originally Posted By: Leonardo629
Craig,

It's probably the E46 M3 CSL, which has different intake..software...and more output.

I believe in my reference it was the E46 M3 vs. the M roadster and the M coupe. I don't doubt what you say about the CSL, but it isn't what I was thinking of.

I was merely pointing out that just because there's an S54 under the hood, doesn't mean every line of code in the ECU or other factors are identical.

I believe the spun bearings were M3 only, and the M3 had a higher rev limit that the other cars. Bumping the M3 limit down reduced the frequency of occurrence significantly.

Again, all IIRC.

I'm not arguing whether TWS 10W60 is good or not...but it's simply too heavy of an oil for my M, especially when I don't race the [censored] thing for 24 hrs LeMans style.

I chose 300V 5W40 because first..it's of high quality, 2nd, it's ester based and lighter in weight. Now my oil reaches operating temp in half of the driving distance, I'm also getting 20+ mpg from my S54, and I have a heavy foot.

My CBR puts out about 185hp/litre, revs to 12500rpm, and Honda only specs 10W40 mineral oil made by Mobil...I know..I know...apples to oranges here....but still, I think 40wt is just right for any stock M motor (provided you don't race your car every weekend).

You have no idea how incompetent BMW techs are these days, few M owners actually had the regular 5W30 oil installed when they serviced their Z4Ms. I've done two oil changes at my BMW dealer, and they always overfill the crankcase by 1.5 litre (verified via dipstick).

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: jaj
What's truly amazing is the number of people that feel that because TWS is OEM-approved and supplied by dealers that it's no good.

Agreed. It's like they trust the company when they buy the car, but not when they maintain it.

Gotta love those Foreign cars...............
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Craig in Canada

I believe the spun bearings were M3 only, and the M3 had a higher rev limit that the other cars. Bumping the M3 limit down reduced the frequency of occurrence significantly.

Again, all IIRC.

Just to clarify a bit, the spun bearings were originally thought to be an engineering issue which was to be remediable with lower rev limits. Turned out it was a bad batch of manufactured parts which BMW quietly replaced for owners & in later production.

Also - we always see xw-40/50/60 @ the various brand sites...but where to get them? Almost impossible IMO.

Originally Posted By: johnbottilaw
I have been admonished in the past for sharing proprietary info., and choose to share nothing from here on out. The animals on the M forums don't subscribe to common sense anyways. They are worse than the savages on the Evo forums.

Any chance at all you'd be able to email it to me? I'm most likely switching for winter and just like to know what previous UOA's show for these engines? Thanks.

Last edited:
I just purchased a high mileage s54 and would be very interested to hear follow-up experiences to this thread after nearly 8 years!

Solid 10W-60s that are available in N/A:
- Castrol Edge TWS
- Castrol Edge Supercar
- Liqui-Moly Race Tech
- Motul 8100 X-Power

This old thread was a good read, thanks for bumping.

I spent most of the 90's on Castrol Formula R / Edge 10W-60 while listening to Seattle Grunge or Brit Trip-Hop music.

Originally Posted By: 1JZ_E46
Solid 10W-60s that are available in N/A:
- Castrol Edge TWS
- Castrol Edge Supercar
- Liqui-Moly Race Tech
- Motul 8100 X-Power

Umm...how about the Redline?

I have been using Liqui Moly 10W-60 for the past 3-4 years although I am contemplating using BMW M TwinPower Turbo 10W-60 next spring when the car is coming out of storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back