John Deere filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got a John Deere 717A Z-Trak and am looking for a compatible hydraulic filter to the Deere filter. They want over $13 for it at Deere. I was able to find a compatible motor oil filter (Purolater), but no such luck for the hydro. The Deere filter # is an AM131054. I've tried several filter cross references with no luck.

Try calling up ur local parts store... for my L110 I called up advance auto parts and told them my john deere part number and said they had a filter for it for liek 3 bucks... but i dont really know what you mean by hydaulic filter so sorry if I'm talking about the wrong thing.

I don't think you will find a replacement for less $$$. Googling your part number came up with 2 aftermarket filters. One was $16 and the other (Stens) was $13 (plus shipping).

What is the hy. filter change interval for that mower? My Exmark is 250 hours, I believe.

Hydraulic filtration is much less forgiving than engine oil filtration. You don't want to mess with a "will fit" filter that might restrict flow or allow dirt thru. Those ZTR hydraulic motors are $$$$$$$. Pay the money and protect your investment. Be extra careful not to introduce dirt when checking the level (cap) or changing the fluid.

Good luck. ZTR's are such a blast to operate!

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
I don't think you will find a replacement for less $$$.

Very true in regards to hydraulic filters. I use the Napa/Carquest (Wix) hydraulic filter for my Cub Cadet 2544. It's no cheaper than a dealer filter ($12-16). I wouldn't use an engine oil filter in this application.

Joel

Not an uncommon occurrence, unfortunately. This has been covered quite a bit here and at TBN - it seems there is not enough aftermarket demand for many of the hydro filters, so the OEM is the only choice.
frown.gif

And, even in instances where there are aftermarket choices, the OEM generally costs about the same as the aftermarket. Those are just expensive filters... Just got one for our 310D backhoe - $48.00; that's probably cheap compared to some..
frown.gif

That's a fact. I've seen reports of hydraulic and air filters for larger tractors running $100 or more.

Joel

Thanks, all. After viewing all your replies, I'm sticking with the Deere filter. It retails at the Deere dealer for $13 and change, so it's not that outrageous. The manual says to change it once a season. (doesn't give any hour interval)

David I think that yearly filter swap out plan is a good idea. At least you'll get a look at the 'condition' of the oil in the process. I've seen several reports now on Cub Cadet Z-force ZTRs with such condensation/water build up in the hydro oil that it turns the oil milky. If not caught in time you're out some bucks.

Joel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back