Chain cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I use brake cleaner as well, then I lube with my normal finish line dry teflon lube.

I hate that Finish Line Dry Lube stuff. It makes my chain waxy and gummy. The chain doesn't feel as smooth as a wet lube. In fact, I've had it skip/clunk on me.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I use brake cleaner as well, then I lube with my normal finish line dry teflon lube.

I hate that Finish Line Dry Lube stuff. It makes my chain waxy and gummy. The chain doesn't feel as smooth as a wet lube. In fact, I've had it skip/clunk on me.

I used to hate it too, but then I realized with this stuff, you dont get [censored] sticking to your chain and causing you to clean it more frequently. My bike sees only offroad use, so that is a big plus for me. I used to use Tri-Flow, which is great stuff and lasts about 2x as long before re-application is needed, but the chain gets noticeably dirty faster using wet lube.

I do have a bottle of each though, been using the dry lube in the dusty dry months :)

I can honestly say I haven't oiled, greased, or cleaned a chain on my daily used bike in three years.
grin2.gif

Today I used paint thinner. It got all the grit out of the chain. When I use the park cleaning tool with Simple Green it seems like I only get about 80% of the dirt out.

With the paint thinner I get close to 99% of the dirt out. I then used Amsoil HD MP with the chain in a baggie and spray the heck out of it. Helps to have a quick connect chain link. I will see how the MP does, I have never used it on a chain before.

Originally Posted By: Stewart Fan
What do I need to clean the gunk built up on my bikes chain?

I was thinking of using some brake cleaner.

Lubing the chain with Tri-flow when its clean.

I use CRC Brake Cleaner applied to a paper towel, and follow up with an application of Dumonde Tech Lite. The Dumonde requires clean metal. Some of the other methods fall short, and will not evaporate as fast as the brake cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back