New LawnBoy mowers with 2 cycle engines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, if ya'll are interested check ebay for a used one. There's some good quality rebuilt Mowers over there with the magnesium deck, 2T engine, even self-propelled if you want it for less than $200 shipped. It's a used mower, but think about that $200 in terms of value - it's a steal. I'm thinking about buying one unless I can find an old one to rebuild myself.

For that matter, there's also the Lawnboy 2T engines for sale alone. Naturally, they cost less than the whole thing. Depending on the model, I'm sure you could modify the bolt holes on a 'standard' aluminum or steel deck to accommodate mounting the engine. This is also something I'm considering, but if I'm going to do the lawnboy thing, I want to do it all the way.

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Remember These?

Toro...2-cycle Suzuki engines....commercials...

http://www.newhavenpower.com/Toro22031.html

This is what replaced it...it's a good mower...but not 2-cycle..
http://www.newhavenpower.com/Toro22175.html

I'll let you guys in on a little secret. Now don't tell anyone, it's just us BITOG'ers here. If you REALLY want this Commercial, Suzuki powered, 2 cycle Toro mower, you can still buy one. There is a mower dealer in Midwest who does a tidy business reconditioning them. In fact, the reconditioning is so good, you would think it is a brand new mower - even down to the new bolts used. If you are not prepared to pay the $895 they are asking don't read any further.

This mower dealer is advertising a Commercial, 2 cycle Proline now for $895. In fact, they are also advertising a reconditioned, 4 cycle Kawasaki powered Toro Proline for the same $895.

The 2 cycle, Suzuki powered, Toro I bought was not the Proline, but the residential version, Toro model #20321 (with smaller gas tank). I paid $400 for mine three years ago. What a sweet mower! It does not sound at all like a loud, typical 4 cycle, mower, but more like a muffled, inboard boat engine. I have had people stop and ask me what is it, when I start it up. Very strong engine. When I cut my mom's yard, the grass and weeds are as tall as the wheels. The mower does not stall under these conditions like a 4 cycle mower would.

PM me for more information

Originally Posted By: Pete591
Remember These?

Toro...2-cycle Suzuki engines....commercials...

Yep. Kinda mentioned those earlier in the thread
whistle.gif
. For what ever reason, those Suzuki's didn't seem to last nearly as long as the high end Lawnboy 2-strokes (which ever they used). Prolly had to do with the mix ratio. That exact Suzuki 2-stroke is used on the smaller rubber paddled Toro snowthrowers, up to the early 2000's I believe. I've got a mid 1990's model.

Joel

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Nayov
So what's the advantage of a 2 cycle over a 4 cycle mower?

Advantage: Lots of torque and you never have to change your oil.
Disadvantage: They pollute the air more than a 4 cycle mower, hence they were taken off the market. (They seriously are a good mower though)

A properly tuned 2 cycle with synthetic oil mixes run well and have low emissions. There is a power to weight advantage for chainsaws
and string trimmers we have not matched with affordable 4 cycles or electric/battery power. I have a 20 year old Stihl string trimmer and some ancient lawn boys so they last forever. I can cut my steep banks without an expense of an oil pump in a push mower.

The problem may be the carbs and EPA defeating tools are beyond most consumers knowledge to make small 2 cycles run right. I would say they are trickier, but the carb on my duraforce is basically a plastic tube with a jet and govenor air vane. I think it is important to not store two cycle carbs with fuel in them. That may be where most headaches come from.

New clean air guidelines in 2010 will complicate things even more. You may want to buy a saw or trimmer now. The Gov't and/or better 4 cycle technology may send the 2 cycle the way of the dinasaur.

F100,

Not to steal the thread.....but my duraforce did not surge until I owned it 9 years, I cleaned the carb drilled jets, new governor,checked for air leaks and it came down to a new float for me. Hopefully I have it now. What a great engine, but lame carb. If you would, please direct me to any info on surging that is available.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Cmarti
F100,

Not to steal the thread.....but my duraforce did not surge until I owned it 9 years, I cleaned the carb drilled jets, new governor,checked for air leaks and it came down to a new float for me. Hopefully I have it now. What a great engine, but lame carb. If you would, please direct me to any info on surging that is available.

Thanks

Most folks I know that own 6 1/2 HP Lawn Boys that surge either;

1) Rejet or drill the jets slightly larger (which you have done)
or
2) Replace the stock Pilot Jet with a R-Teck Pilot (Briggs part# 801308) if you don't want to drill.

If you goggle "Duraforce surging" or "Lawn Boy surging" you come up with some long threads of solutions that other people have come up with.

That float that you replaced is the other weak link of these type mowers. I installed an inline gas filter (to keep trash out of the carb) and an inline gas shut off valve. When you are done mowing, close off the gas shut off valve and run the mower until the carb bowl is out of fuel. That way, the cork float does not stay saturated with fuel during storage. Hope this makes sense. PM me if I can help further.

When these 2 cycle, Lawn Boy mowers are "right", they are the only 21" mowers I know of that can cut grass well over the wheel height. The 4 cycle, Briggs powered Toro Super Recycler I bought (used) couldn't do it without stalling. Now, I used to have an old Gravely L walk behind mower that could do it, but that was a much bigger and heavier mower. That was a real "man's mower" that would eat you alive if you got too close to those blades.

Originally Posted By: Best F100
F100,

Thanks

Most folks I know that own 6 1/2 HP Lawn Boys that surge either;

1) Rejet or drill the jets slightly larger (which you have done)
or
2) Replace the stock Pilot Jet with a R-Teck Pilot (Briggs part# 801308) if you don't want to drill.

If you goggle "Duraforce surging" or "Lawn Boy surging" you come up with some long threads of solutions that other people have come up with.

That float that you replaced is the other weak link of these type mowers. I installed an inline gas filter (to keep trash out of the carb) and an inline gas shut off valve. When you are done mowing, close off the gas shut off valve and run the mower until the carb bowl is out of fuel. That way, the cork float does not stay saturated with fuel during storage. Hope this makes sense. PM me if I can help further.

When these 2 cycle, Lawn Boy mowers are "right", they are the only 21" mowers I know of that can cut grass well over the wheel height. The 4 cycle, Briggs powered Toro Super Recycler I bought (used) couldn't do it without stalling. Now, I used to have an old Gravely L walk behind mower that could do it, but that was a much bigger and heavier mower. That was a real "man's mower" that would eat you alive if you got too close to those blades.

Thanks!

My Dad has a lawnboy that is about 50 years old now it was my grandmother's.

Andy

F100,

Thanks

I to have a 6.5 Duraforce, gem of a mower if it weren't for the surging! Well, I personally believe the problem to be the governor itself, not jeting or anything else as long as you keep up your maintenance and drain the fuel.

I found that I could get it to purr like a kitten by disabling the governor in favor of manual regulation: problem solved. yes the carb could be better, but the governor vane/spring/clickity wheel are what suck IMHO..

Bare in mind you want to use an external tach to set engine speed, or at least "ear" it to make sure you arent over running it. (the mower will fly across the yard at 30 MPH but be bad for the internals) :)

You can simply attach a stiff wire to the vane (like on the snow blower) and bend it to the appropriate RPM, or rig a connection between the vane and the choke slide where the governor spring used to poke into. That way you can still adjust the walk speed and choke as normal. A good afternoon project.

sohc

I mow with my 1966 Lawn Boy push mower and I edge with my 1967 Lawn Boy Edger. Run both at 32:1 using the Lawn Boy oil. The mower has a magnesium deck. I have overhauled the mower engine once in its 44 years. Best homeowner mower ever made as for as I'm concerned.

Someone mentioned that residential grade Lawnboy mowers were discontinued years ago. The home depot I work at currently sells three models of lawnboy walk behind mowers. Is there a difference between what Home Depot is selling and a "residential" mower?

Originally Posted By: outoforder
Someone mentioned that residential grade Lawnboy mowers were discontinued years ago. The home depot I work at currently sells three models of lawnboy walk behind mowers. Is there a difference between what Home Depot is selling and a "residential" mower?

The ones you see now, today, in Home Depot are "only" 4 cycle mowers and only residential mowers (Toros with green paint on them). . The production of the 2 cycle Lawn Boys ended in 2004. In 2003, you could order both commercial and residential Lawn Boy 2 cycle versions. (I have one of each).

My 2003 residential version (Model # 10552) has on it: 6 1/2 HP engine, Aluminum no rust deck, Easy Stride (Personal Pace) transmission, electric start battery. (Roughly 80 lbs total - or light enough to "toss" in a the bed of a pickup truck).

My 2003 commercial version (Model #22261) is an upgraded landscaper mower with the same engine & deck + 3 speed Toro transmission + orange 1 gallon gas tank and bright orange steel wheels. I had my wheels modified, so that when the tread wears out, I replace only the tread and not the entire steel wheel. (Roughly 75 lbs - or light enough for your wife to pick up and replace what you had been picking up).
I have seen unused versions of this model selling for over $1200 on ebay.

As someone said earlier, the main benefit of the 2 cycle engines are simple design (1/3 less engine parts), gobbs of torque (the ability to cut through tall or thick grass without slowing down) + light weight.

Thanks for the information.... I was at a road show today and the vendor kept hawking the fact that 4 cycle weed eaters put out more power then it's 2 cycle cousin but you mentioned in your post that 2 cycle engines have gobbs of torque. I always think of 4 cycles as being more heavy due to more engine parts. Please enlighten.

There are many 4 stroke advantages but I sure would like to have a 2 stroke lawnboy just for the cool factor when cutting the lawn.

Thanks for the information.... I was at a road show today and the vendor kept hawking the fact that 4 cycle weed eaters put out more power then it's 2 cycle cousin but you mentioned in your post that 2 cycle engines have gobbs of torque. I always think of 4 cycles as being more heavy due to more engine parts. Please enlighten.
What makes any type of engine heavy duty is the quality of the whole package and design . A cheap 2 cycle engine or a cheap 4 cycle engine is still cheap engine,I am talking quality od design not price.

If engine displacement is equal, the two stroke engine will make considerably more power than a four cycle engine designed for the same purpose. The vendor obviously was "selling" four cycle engine equipment. Small, light weight machines equipped with a single cylinder two cycle engine will out-perform an equivalent four cycle engine in just about every aspect other than fuel consumption.

The reason is that it makes power on every down stroke vs. every second down stroke as a four stroke does. More power strokes mean more power and also more fuel consumption.

I own a twenty year old Echo lawn mower with a 140cc Suzuki two cycle engine on it. It is, without question, the best lawn mower I've owned. I'd rank it right up there with the two stroke Lawn Boys.

Speaking of Lawn Boys, several years ago my mechanically challenged neighbour bought a new Craftsman lawn mower and was "throwing out" his old two cycle Lawn Boy. I saw it down by the curb with the garbage and asked him what the problem was with the mower. He said that it just didn't make any power and didn't cut grass as well as when it was new. So I gladly took it off his hands. I brought it out to my camp and it sat around for a few months before getting around to taking a look at it. When I did check it out, the first thing I noticed was that he had a brand new blade on it installed upside down and backwards?? It was difficult to start but the air cleaner probably hadn't seen attention for twenty years. After cleaning it, the machine would fire up nicely and cut grass effortlessly.

As it was, my good neighbour at camp had his mower engine fail right around that time and couldn't afford a new mower so I gave the Lawn Boy to him. He passed away several years ago but his son now has it.

Don't know if we're talking the same era of Lawn Boy mowers but this machine had it's exhaust exit under the deck into a circular expansion chamber/muffler. I'd guess that machine would be probably around thirty years old.

Originally Posted By: boraticus
Speaking of Lawn Boys, several years ago my mechanically challenged neighbour bought a new Craftsman lawn mower and was "throwing out" his old two cycle Lawn Boy. I saw it down by the curb with the garbage and asked him what the problem was with the mower. He said that it just didn't make any power and didn't cut grass as well as when it was new. So I gladly took it off his hands.

I need a neighbor like yours!

I have three Lawn Boy mowers. A 1979 Model that was my Grandmothers, a 1983 that I bought my Dad for his Birthday in 1983 (that replaced a 1967 model that needed some carburator work--it doubled as a mosquito fogger and he refused to overhaul it, and a 2003 that I went out and bought because they were discontinuing the 2 cycle. I can still put gas in the 1983 and start it in 2 pulls. The 1979 needs work, it was the family beater--used by my sister-in-law and cousin for years before failing to start. The 2 cycles are great engines, for me, it's one less thing to change the oil in. You get used to the start up smoke after awhile and the Craftsman 4 cycle that I had prior to the 2003 was sold to my cousin ( I hated the thing and still do. Used it all of four times before buying the 2003 Lawn Boy.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back