Why would filter cause valve or engine noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Switched out a PURE ONE Filter for an OEM on my Mazda3 2.3 & the valve clatter went away.

Had switched to PO 2 OC ago ~14k miles.
Clatter started in all temps upon startup even sitting in 100 degrees asphalt.

Have always used PP & QSHP for brief period of time - latter which I though was the culprit. But this past oil change I could only change the oil (PP) due to time limitation & had to change filter a bit later (following weekend).

Noise went away. OEM did the trick.
I am surprised since PO always has had an excellent rep.

Some engines the start up flow through the Hi efficiency media must be a little slow. Heard more problems with start up noise on Frams though.
You could maybe go with an oversized PO or just stick with the OEM.

I noticed a lot more clatter switching from my Mobil 1 filter to a Purolator Classic filter. Sucks because I still have a stash of em.

Originally Posted By: Anies
I noticed a lot more clatter switching from my Mobil 1 filter to a Purolator Classic filter. Sucks because I still have a stash of em.

Same here - I have a stash of PO for the Mazda3 2.3 - if any1 wants them for a nominal fee let me know! LOL!

If it's a start up noise, then it's the ADBV. Even silicon valves can be defective. If it's extended beyond that, then it's the oil pump efficiency. Even at full tilt bypass there should be enough flow to keep things quite.

My Crown Vic has some occasional startup rattle with a PureONE, but almost never had any with the Motorcraft filters. The ADBV's aren't exactly the same between the two filters, even though they're both made by Purolator. The ADBV on the Motorcraft is a little bit beefier, and will rebound better.

Is the FL-910 made by Purolator? If so, I don't think I want to use them. I have 3 extras.

My Mazda3 has only had OEM filters and it looks like it's going to stay that way after reading this.

05 Toyota Tacoma w/ 4.0L. Was very picky about the filter or you got all kinds of valve train noise under load( not start up = load/driving ). Lots of guys with the problem. Probably poor oiling system as ^^^ talks about. Took a very free flowing filter to quite it down.

Originally Posted By: dickwells
Was this start up noise, constant noise, cold noise, hot noise, or what?

Not sure how to categorize it but usually:

Leave it for more than 1hr & restart & chattering would appear.
Even on warm ambient temp days.
It would last for as much as 30 minutes of driving...but usually went away after normal engine temps are reached.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
Does your Mazda 3 have the cartridge or spin on filter? My Fusion 2.3 has the cartridge.

Cartridge.

Originally Posted By: tripleM

It would last for as much as 30 minutes of driving...but usually went away after normal engine temps are reached.

That's an incredibly long time for reduced flow. How many miles on this engine. I'd have to suspect worn gears or a scored or fouled relief valve that was partially stuck open.

I had something like this with my Mitsubishi 3.0. It wasn't always that way, but developed the condition after a few years. You would start quiet but one by one the lifters would start ticking and then retreat the same way ..one by one until only the single could be heard ...then repeat ..up and down the valve train. This would go on for about 5 minutes at idle. Nothing fixed it until I found this place and tried Auto-Rx. The condition wasn't filter related ..nor did it matter whether it was a synth or a conventional.

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Originally Posted By: tripleM

That's an incredibly long time for reduced flow. How many miles on this engine. I'd have to suspect worn gears or a scored or fouled relief valve that was partially stuck open.

I had something like this with my Mitsubishi 3.0. It wasn't always that way, but developed the condition after a few years. You would start quiet but one by one the lifters would start ticking and then retreat the same way ..one by one until only the single could be heard ...then repeat ..up and down the valve train. This would go on for about 5 minutes at idle. Nothing fixed it until I found this place and tried Auto-Rx. The condition wasn't filter related ..nor did it matter whether it was a synth or a conventional.

Maybe it's piston slap?

No. It was distinctly the HLA's. Most odd condition that I've ever encountered. Normally you'll have lifters that tick cold or tick hot when either the oil thins or while it's thick. This didn't make any sense at all. It would cycle from one ..to all ..and back to one ..almost stop completely ..and repeat for so many sump cycles.

Anyway, after acquiring a few more traditional ticks on start up, they all went away shortly after starting the rinse oil change end of the treatment. That had plagued me for quite a few years. It only happened when the weather got cold ..or at least headed in that direction.

What I think was happening is that an intermediate passage was restricted. Then there would be some "pushing it out the other end" (where it could go otherwise) ..which would reach its limits ..and "push it out the other end" ..and basically set up some ping-pong volley or "wash tub" type cycle (but more protracted).

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
05 Toyota Tacoma w/ 4.0L. Was very picky about the filter or you got all kinds of valve train noise under load( not start up = load/driving ). Lots of guys with the problem. Probably poor oiling system as ^^^ talks about. Took a very free flowing filter to quite it down.

My 05 Tacoma 4.0L is very quiet. Use OEM Toyota filters only.

Are you sure the noise wasn't the exhaust manifold pulsation tick? ... there was a TSB about it. This would explain the noise under load.

Only in the Ford flavor. If you change the name plate, they don't work. It has to sport the Blue Oval to have MC filters be OEM spec
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back