U.S. to Impose Tariff on Tires From China

Status
Not open for further replies.
The US has been trying to convince them to buy our beef. They've been at it for a decade or so. The chances of that happening have now diminished.

The biggest winner: Australia.

Didn't the bird flu come from an outbreak in Chickens in China? If so, good luck to China, they are going to need it.

Not quite sure about the relevance of the bird flue quip (or that the swine flu epidemic started at a US owned pig farm).

Tariffs are stupid, especially coming from a country that continually espouses free trade.

What was the expected outcome ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Not quite sure about the relevance of the bird flue quip

Just that they are tariffing something that they've had issue with domestically.

I'm a free market guy to the core.

My thought behind all of this is that tariffs were not going to be necessary, because the consumer was starting to get wise.

I've done a ton of research on refrigerators and tires lately. I've got a $3500 refrigerator that needs $600 worth of repairs because of carpy off shore parts. Consumer reports says that if you have a refrigerator over 7 years old and a repair costs more than $150, you should just replace it. In the next 2 years I'm told to anticipate the $700 compressor to fail (it's 6.5 years old now). In doing my research, there isn't a refrigerator on the market at any price that isn't made with carpy off shore parts. The life cycle of ~8 years will cost me close to $500/year. Meanwhile, my dad has a 40 year old fridge in his garage that is still running fine.

I'd gladly pay $1000 more for a fully north american made quality product. The manufacturer who figures this out and offers such a product will do well. As more consumers go through this process, the demand for American made quality/value will give enough price signal to rejuvenate the north american manufacturing sector.

I had this same experience with travel trailer tires. 2 blow-outs later I found that I can't buy a US made tire to fit my 2 year old trailer at any price. Even the japanese yokohamas are made in china. The only name brand tire on the market is Goodyear Marathon, which is also made in China and if you google that tire, you'll find nothing but stories of blow-outs.

Again, the Tariff will force the issue, but I think consumers would have gotten there anyway. I'm prepared to pay extra for quality. When I buy a fridge, I want it to last, just like any other big ticket item.

If some north american manufacturers would start manufacturing on the basis of quality not purchase price, I think many consumers would pay extra. It costs less to the consumer in the long run. I hope to see a new era in manufacturing. The winning manufacturer in each product line will be the first to do it, and it will be a good thing.

I just checked tirerack for some Kumho KH16s. 95% are made in Korea. Some odd sized Chinese.

Simple enough to figure out. Just limit the "growth" in trade imbalance. Easy enough. So far it's been managed with monetary incentives of 'enabling' continued one way street exodus of wealth in the form of loans or buying debt. If the gross import:export gap had to remain within some % ..then there can be no "threat" to not do something ..or whatever.

..but that would "get in the way" of the financiers and money changers.

..and that would be unfair.

They'll eventually have to put the money back here. The thing is ..they've got a very long time until their labor rates aren't going to keep them at an advantage. By then we'll be populated by peoploids without a purpose.

We should just invite 2:1 immigration to replace all of us so we can sit at home.

I'm proud that every tire we own says Made in USA on them.... My Goodyear Assurance Tripletreds, Trucks Michelin LTX M/S, Jeeps Mickey Thompson Baja Claws, mustangs BFGoodrich Traction T/A Spec.

This has to be the dumbest thread on here...kind of like Jed Clampet on Global Economics....
33.gif

Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: Bill in Utah
So you are saying that my Pirelli P4 tires which are made in China are unsafe?

The ones with 85k warranty. Here is the Pirelli web page on them --> P4 info

The PDF on the tire --> P4 pdf

Interesting. Any links you'd like to show me the facts on how unsafe and non-performing they are....

Bill

Bill, I think he meant the no-name cheap Chinese brands not the major makers that just assemble tires in China. In other words, your Pirreli tires are made to high standards being built in China whereas many of these Chinese tire brands do make junk - unsafe junk at that from tires to air filters. Those are who you need to steer clear of.

Ok, So now they will be FIFTY FIVE PERCENT more!

That's sure smart and fair.
smirk2.gif

And thank you for proving my point. The Chinese can and DO make safe and excellent products. If the USA can not make something as well as other countries then they need to figure out how to compete.

People need to understand you will not make $70k making tires.

Show me the links and facts where they do..... to use your logic. Nobody questioned Pirelli - we do question Chinese mfgs. Cheapest isn't the best value, when there isn't a standard to compare for each application. Most chinese windshields will not meet crash damage. Nobody is asking the UAW to make tires.

My recommendation Bill is to go drive a Ford Explorer overloaded in the Utah desert with Chinese tires and report back.

As someone who was in the industry, you don't have any basis. Go ahead eat some Chinese pet food with melamine and see who can you sue when you get sick. See PPG vs. FYG. lawsuits etc. Why repeat it with tires?

You sure like to argue and ask for facts, but rarely provide them, just more opinions.

Take care

Originally Posted By: ffracer

Show me the links and facts where they do..... to use your logic. Nobody questioned Pirelli - we do question Chinese mfgs. Cheapest isn't the best value, when there isn't a standard to compare for each application. Most chinese windshields will not meet crash damage. Nobody is asking the UAW to make tires.

My recommendation Bill is to go drive a Ford Explorer overloaded in the Utah desert with Chinese tires and report back.

As someone who was in the industry, you don't have any basis. Go ahead eat some Chinese pet food with melamine and see who can you sue when you get sick. See PPG vs. FYG. lawsuits etc. Why repeat it with tires?

You sure like to argue and ask for facts, but rarely provide them, just more opinions.

Take care

Oh so all the Chinese tires are junk? Show me the links for that. My P4s are MADE in China.

The Explorers rolling over were due to Chinese tires?

The Tariff is being put on the Chinese due to being unsafe?

Your "recommendation" is plain STUPID. So a Explorer should be overloaded with American tires will be fine?
06.gif

So its obivious that you are not biased since you WERE in the industry.
crackmeup2.gif

What the #&*^$@# does eating Chinese pet food have to do with anything? Windshields?

I've provided more FACTS to this board than you EVER will. Take your biased position on the Chinese go somewhere else.

Plenty of Chinese made tires that are SAFE and provide excellent performance. My P4s today did excellent in 3-4 inches of standing water and there were many other vehicles that were having issues.

Wonder how many of them had American made tires mfg by bitter overpaid employees?

Yeah the Tariff is sure going to make things better. Just like all the "help" for GM and Chrylser.

Lets see how all the "change" works out.
smirk2.gif

bill

As long as the P4's are the same quality as my made in Brazil P4's, they are fine. From all the reports they are fine. From 35k miles on mine they are a great tire.

It's not the name-branded Chinese-made tires, it's the off-brand 4th tier junk we need to be worried about. Just like getting a Chinese-made name-brand running shoe which is made just fine, or the $10 knockoff that falls apart in a month.

Can get past the tariff issue by having compliance standards that must be attained to reach the market.

Then you get the "meets or exceeds" garbage, but would expect that the market will support those who ante up to provide a home produced superior product.

It would be great if environmental and labour standards were included in the compliance standard. Then not all tires would get the tariff, and competition for the US market would bring companies in line.

eg. ISO quality control standards.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
It would be great if environmental and labour standards were included in the compliance standard.

crackmeup2.gif
Yeah...sure....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back