Filters for Perkins 4.236?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having a tough time finding oil filters for my Perkins 4.236 diesel marine engine (same as in Massey-Ferguson tractors). I can order NAPA Gold 1806 filters from my local stores but they're never in stock. Not a huge problem, but since I have to order anyway I thought I might switch to Purolator Premium Plus L30137, since I'm very happy with the PureOne's I use on my motorcycle. But, I can't seem to find the Purolators anywhere, even online. What gives? I can also order the Perkins OEM filter 2654403, but NAPA is more convenient. Any other recommendations for a heavy-duty diesel filter? Probably not critical on these bulletproof engines.

It's a FL1A size 3/4-16 thread filter with a slightly compressed bypass valve setting. In WIX it spec's 7-9psi ..while the 51515 (same size) sports 8-11.

Donaldson, otoh, has a 7-10 for both this application and the FL1A filters ..but indeed have different numbers for otherwise identical filters.

Purolator spec's a specific 8 psi bypass valve where the normal FL1A size spec's 8-16.

I can't really see the distinctions given the variance across all the vendors. That is, I can't see why a FL1A L30001 51515 ST8 can't work.

I guess it comes down to how critical the specific 8 psi bypass setting is, rather than a range found on other filters that would fit. It appears the NAPA Gold 1806 and Wix 51806 spec. at the specific 8 psi. Is the bypass setting that important?

I'd look at a Fleetguard LF3685. We have a Massey with a six-cylinder Perkins that has two upside down filters and I just swithced to using 3685s. It has a standpipe, anti-drainback and synthetic filter media. A 10 psi bpv setting. Previously I'd been using an LF701 which is basically the same except a little taller, 11 psi bpv and cellulose filter media. I think if its within a couple psi,a different bpv setting should be ok.

Possibly. It's an odd bird in that the frequency of bypass use will more depend on your start up viscosity and/or loading over usage. That setting limits the resistance that the filter can present to flow. While it can happen for a variety of reasons, the only time it can effect flow is when you're in oil pump relief. Otherwise, it can be a pinhole ..producing any level of PSID, and not change the flow to the engine.

If your starting pressure is radically different than your operational pressure (at idle), then you're more likely to be using the spillway (bypass) for longer periods of time.

The converted 4 cylinder Perkins we had in a towmotor (propane) slammed the gauge at FSD (full scale deflection). It never came off of relief at all. I don't even recall the metric notation used (not bars). Assuming that this indication was valid, then the filter was seeing various levels of elevated PSID based on volume:visc/engine speed 24/7 while operating.

For some reason my Perkins always slams the pressure on start up if I rev it much above idle, until it warms up to full operating temperature and then the pressure calms down to normal and all is good. I used to think it was because I was running straight 30W oil (based on what the previous ownwer had been using), but I switched to 15-40W (usually Rotella or Delo) and it still does it. I've now read that Foley Engines recommends going with the longer Perkins 2654407 filter, which I think I can fit. I believe that would match a Wix 51459 or a NAPA Gold 1459.

Yes, the 51459 (iirc) is the biggest WIX in the 3/4-16 thread. There may be one slightly bigger. The 51773 is fractionally shorter.

Part Number: 51459
UPC Number: 765809514591
Principal Application: Bussing, Case, Caterpillar, Iveco, Massey-Ferguson, & Perkins Engines
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 7.010
Outer Diameter Top: 3.694
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 7-9
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=21/38
Burst Pressure-PSI: 310
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 25

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

Part Number: 51773
UPC Number: 765809517738
Principal Application: Ford Trucks, Massey-Ferguson Tractors, Oliver Tractors, VW Eurovan (93-95)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 6.982
Outer Diameter Top: 3.663
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 3/4-16
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 290
Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 32

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

Most engines go up to the relief limit at cold start. It's often a compromise between required operating visc and volume ..and our current limits of VI. Nothing new there. Assuming no outlandish volume is part of the operational variable, the most frequent situation where elevated PSID is seen is during cold start and during the relief event. The engine makes up the lion's share of the pressure development.

Anyway, it's hard to figure such a narrow bypass setting ..but it's there.

The use of the bigger filter should reduce any potential bypass event.

Originally Posted By: sdan27
I'd look at a Fleetguard LF3685. We have a Massey with a six-cylinder Perkins that has two upside down filters and I just swithced to using 3685s. It has a standpipe, anti-drainback and synthetic filter media. A 10 psi bpv setting. Previously I'd been using an LF701 which is basically the same except a little taller, 11 psi bpv and cellulose filter media. I think if its within a couple psi,a different bpv setting should be ok.

There's Donaldson that features the standpipe

P554407

SPIN ON LUBE

A - OD (Inches) 3.81
B - Thread Size (Inches) 3/4-16 UNF-2B
C - Length (Inches) 6.78
D - Gasket OD (Inches) 2.82
E - Gasket ID (Inches) 2.42
Relief Valve Setting (PSI) 8-11
Anti Drain Valve (Y/N) Yes
Stand Pipe (Y/N) Yes
Product Type Description LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW
Primary Application PERKINS 2654407
Application Note EQUIPPED WITH STANDPIPE
Product Group F

It x'ref's to the 51459 which doesn't specifically mention it. The synth media on the FleetGuard may be worth the trouble if he can get the hours out of it.

The fortunate thing about the Perkins installations (at least THESE Perkins engines) is that they use the most common thread on the planet for spin-on filters. More options than you can shake a stick at.

What's the advantage of the standpipe? My filter resides in the horizontal position, if that makes a difference.

Basically, a standpipe is a tube that goes up the center of the filter that prevents oil from draining from the inlet portion to the outlet section while the engine is shut off, mostly used if the filter is mounted upside down like on the application I have. I don't think with a horizontal filter that would make a difference. Since you probably don't need the standpipe, instead of the LF3685 I suggested earlier ( assuming your filter mount was upside down ) I would use an LF3947 that still has a 10 psi bpv but has Stratapore filter media which is a little better yet. 98% 30 micron and 85% 10 micron as I recall. Usually has less flow restriction as well.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great info! The Fleetguard or Donaldson filters might be an option, but for me they are harder to order than the NAPA Gold filters which I can get through several local dealers and when I cruise my boat there is usually a NAPA store around if I should need to order. From what I read it seems the NAPA Gold/Wix is a pretty good filter, or am I wrong?

Gary said: "I can't really see the distinctions given the variance across all the vendors. That is, I can't see why a FL1A L30001 51515 ST8 can't work." It would be great to be able to get filters at any WalMart or AutoZone. What would you think of something like the PureOne PL30001? Or, would that have too restricted a flow?

There's just so little difference between 8, 7-10, and 8-11. That's the variance you get as the spec'd/x'ref'd filter across all vendors to service your Perkins. If you went to the PureOne or Purolator in general, they escalate to 11 or 12 - 16 as a common number for the bypass in most filters.

The x'ref in Puro from the Donaldson numbers is the L40107 which does sport the 8 psi bypass valve. They don't offer a PL version of this filter, but that's not surprising. That appears to be a consumer distinction by my experience. For example, they didn't (at least at the time I bought them) offer PureOne in the Cummins thread ..nor the 2 quart (referred to) Chevy filters, which would/could be deemed outside of the consumer market.

Given the variance across all vendors, I'd personally have no issue with using a ST8, NG/WIX 51515, or MCFL1A. I'd tend to reject Purolator in the PL30001/L30001 simply due to it trumping the low bypass setting by 150% as its low end threshold and the fact that Purolator themselves go to the trouble to abandon their common bypass valve setting for the lower specific one.

The PureOne PL30001 specs. at 8-16 psi for the bypass. I wonder what that is supposed to mean? They appear to be saying that the bypass valve might open at 8, but then again it might wait until the pressure differential equals 16.

It's allegedly the onset to full opening number. Given the Wix compressed number (on most filters 8-11), I had initially reasoned (years ago) it to be a process variable ..or tolerance if you will. That doesn't flush with WIX also having very specific ratings on other filters. Rhetoric from WIX with other member's inquiries confirmed that.

Purolator probably uses this to increase their filtration numbers or holding capacity numbers.

In my observations of bypass activity, even with loaded PureOne filters, it was a non-factor ..but some people who have either lower efficiency oil pumps or are in relief at idle (some LS2 engine owners) can see downstream pressure alterations based on filter choice. Since the down stream pressure is altered, so has to be the flow. That can only occur if the pump is internally leaking to a measurable amount, or is in pressure relief. Those owners are confounded in view by the lower relief setting (45psi in cited cases) and that coincidentally being their idle pressure. That is, they're typically on the threshold of relieving flow due to the typical visc oil that they're using at the given volume it's pumped at. Again, they can just have low efficiency pumps by design, although I don't see why anyone would make one when many evolutions of pumps have made internal leakage a non-factor or a longer term (worn) fatigue factor that rarely shows itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back