anti-drain valve not working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there!

My friend and I are trying to figure out what could be that sound on my car on a cold start in the morning! Its only happening when first started when cold and the car been sitting overnight:

As you can see, the noise goes away after 1 or 2 secs but I'm wondering if it could be a pulley or something. The sound is very similar than the one I'm hearing sometimes on light load (between 25km/h and 40km/h) that I thought it was pinging but I'm desperate right...

The car is a cad cts 2005, 3.6l vvt 187730 kms.

The oil filter is oem and its a cartridge (ac delco). Does it have anti-drain valve on cartridge?
Could it be the timing chain starving for oil? I checked the oil level and its full. The OLM shows 56% oil life left and its M1 5w30.

That is a lash adjuster/lifter for sure. the 3.6 is the Opel engine correct? I'm not familiar enough with that engine to know what is common., but sometimes over time hydraulic lash adjusters loose their prime or "leak down" and take a sec to pump again with oil. It only pays 3.0 hours per bank to replace them. Not a very hard job to do on this engine. Show they are about $5 a piece oem, may or may not be cheaper aftermarket. I would find what side the noise is coming from (or both sides) and just replace them all while you are in their because they are pretty inexpensive. If not, at least find what side it is, and let the engine sit however long it normally takes for this to happen after you start tearing into it and push down on each rocker to see if you can find which one is losing prime.

I don't know if this pertains to you, or what he has used in the past but take a look

Bulletin No.: 07-06-01-016A

Date: September 17, 2007

INFORMATION
Subject:
Information on Internal Engine Noise or Damage After Oil Filter Replacement

Models:
2008 and Prior Passenger Cars and Trucks (Including Saturn and Saab)
2008 and Prior HUMMER H2, H3

Supercede:

This bulletin is being updated to include additional information on incorrect or improperly installed engine oil filters.

Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-06-01-016 (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Engine damage that is the result of an incorrect or improperly installed engine oil filter is not a warrantable claim. The best way to avoid oil filter quality concerns is to purchase ACDelco(R) oil filters directly from GMSPO.

Oil filter misapplication may cause abnormal engine noise or internal damage. Always utilize the most recent parts information to ensure the correct part number filter is installed when replacing oil filters. Do not rely on physical dimensions alone. Counterfeit copies of name brand parts have been discovered in some aftermarket parts systems. Always ensure the parts you install are from a trusted source. Improper oil filter installation may result in catastrophic engine damage.

Refer to the appropriate Service Information (SI) installation instructions when replacing any oil filter and pay particular attention to procedures for proper cartridge filter element alignment. If the diagnostics in SI (Engine Mechanical) lead to the oil filter as the cause of the internal engine noise or damage, dealers should submit a field product report. Refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 02-00-89-002F (Information for Dealers on How to Submit a Field Product Report).

That to me doesn't even sound like an internal engine noise. Excessive valve clearance from a hydraulic lifter that isn't pumped up sounds like more of a fast ticking sound.

Could be the hydraulic timing chain tensioner as well.

Now that Jdblya said something about the hydraulic lash adjusters, I made a search on the net because I didn't know what it was. It says that there is a valve inside of each hydraulic lash and the sound when on light throttle is kind of a valve ticking.

I searches, but maybe not enough, what is the purpose of a hydraulic lash adjuster? and how does it work?

For the timing chain, thats what I thought first but I dont know anymore lol

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
That to me doesn't even sound like an internal engine noise. Excessive valve clearance from a hydraulic lifter that isn't pumped up sounds like more of a fast ticking sound.

I guess that is possible also, but I've heard plenty of lifters banking around more than ticking before they pump. Are the tensionors hydraulic or spint or oil driven on those?

A hydraulic lash adjustor/lifter uses an oil pressure activated plunger in the lifter to take up all the slack in the valvetrain. As the valves wear and as they expand/contract from engine temperatures, the adjuster adjust the valve lash (the space between the valve tip and the rocker arm/cam lobe when a valve is fully close and on it's seat).

Without hydraulic lifters, the valve lash must be manually adjusted as routine maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Jdblya
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT

I guess that is possible also, but I've heard plenty of lifters banking around more than ticking before they pump. Are the tensionors hydraulic or spint or oil driven on those?

The only thing I can find is it has a "sophisticated cam chain tensioner"

Auto-Rx it and plan to hear a few more noises before this goes away.

Try other stuff first. MMO, Gunk engine flush...whatever. If they work, be happy. If they don't, spend the money for Auto-Rx.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back